VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
63chevyvan?
dix
6 posters

zink and oil

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

zink and oil Empty zink and oil

Post by dix Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:54 am

after reading a post from jrinaman i think we need some discussion about oil. For every one running early model engines with out roller rockers and chime in or correct me if i am wrong. The new engines do not need zink in the oil. so the oil companys are making oil with out zink now.. But the older cars /trucks. Big blocks thru 6 clynders need the zink . You can not find a cam any were at this time . Due to the oil change every one's cam is wearing out. You need to look to see if the oil you are buying has zink. Some were front or back of the bottle of oil look for what looks like a flywheel . A circle with a gear around it that oil has zink in it. If it is not on the bottle there is no zink. You will wear your cam lobs OFF.. Ask a good auto parts store about it. 2 years ago my brother bought a brand new hemi from jegs . nobody including mopar proformance who builds the engines said anything. ($15,000) The lobs on the cam were worn out./ I do mean gone in 900 miles. The engine was never even broke in. And they would not replace any thing becauce the oil had no zink in it.. Now all the oil companys have oil with zink but you have to make sure you have the correct oil.
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

zink and oil Empty Re: zink and oil

Post by 63chevyvan? Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Use Chevron Delo 30W (non emission) or Shell Rotella; they still have some ZDP(Zinc).
    I add 4 oz of Lucas Engine Break-In Additive with TD Zinc-Plus every oil change.

For engine building, build for torque at lower RPM's, this eliminates the need for higher valve spring rates; otherwise use a roller cam/lifters.

Last edited by 63chevyvan? on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

zink and oil Empty oils & cams

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Extremely =TRUE!! Very Few= oils now have the zinc within. Always check with the autoparts & read THE CAN!! Yes - Lucas is the stuff to get and add @ every oil change - IF= your engine isnt updated or running the newer Roller Lifters. The old flat tappets(solid) and hydraulic lifter engines need to prevent cam lobe wear out by harder lifters. Damn EPA !! affraid
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

zink and oil Empty HERE IS A ZINC LINK

Post by dix Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:49 am

63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by 63chevyvan? Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

I have used Delo 15\40W (pre ZDP reduction) in my 96 Camaro RS since it was
    new and it now has 210,000 miles on it. It has the same catalytic convertor on it;
    so much for ZDP doing bad things to it.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

zink and oil Empty Zink and oil

Post by Joe Van Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:47 am

HELLO everyone I need some advise and VV !!!! is the only web site answers I can trust.scratch I have been seeing this zinc additive adds popping up every where lately witch usually means for me if I don't do something soon it will happen to me also.affraid I have two Chevy vans and a Gmc van the newest one is 22 years old. I have read the posts and sort of get different answers about the zinc additive they all agree we need it but how much and how often??. Yesterday I bought a bottle of Lucas engine break-in TB Zinc-Plus oil additive 16 ounce. The directions says add entire bottle to engine and run a thousand miles and drain.I realise this probley is for break-in only but I want to be sure and I don't want to change the cam and lifters any-time soon. It does not say how often to do this is it a one time thing if I add the whole bottle or do I have to change my oil every 1000 miles witch is ridicules. 63 Chevyvan? vanner says he adds 4 oz to every oil change witch sounds great to ME but it that enough? or how much is too much?????? I went through just about all the oil we sell at our Shop and only one said zinc in it and I don't use it.I would appreciate any replies. THANKS....JOE VAN
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 am

There are addtives you can add to oil for the zinc, I have used them in my 69
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:21 am

I called one of are suppliers Car-Quest-Auto part's yesterday and told them my situation and they sent me a 16 ounce bottle of Lucas engine break-in oil additive with zinc-plus but I am Leary about using it because all my engines are well broke in. My 66 GMC 307 has 35k and my 75 Chevy 454 has 81k and the 91 350 Chevy van has 116k so the question IS does someone make just a zinc additive?? And what is the name of it?? I personally don't want to use a oil that was designed for a diesel engine because of the zinc in it............JOE.........
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 am

I wanted to clarify why use ZDDP. I recommend using oils specially formulated with ZDDP. We always use valvoline vr1 oils. I found this information that I wanted to share...

ZDDP, Zinc dialyldithiophosphate, is a compound that was introduced over 70 years ago and regularly added to motor oils. Its claim to fame is that it was the most cost effective metal on metal anti-wear additive…….and that is no legend. The compound was originally developed for use in airplane engines, but very quickly was found to be effective in car and truck engines for the anti-wear protection, in particular associated with flat tappets, overhead cam lobes, buckets and followers and the associated lifters where there is considerable pressure generated at the metal to metal interface and wear of the surface is known to be prevalent.

All tests that we’ve reviewed conclude that ZDDP is effective in moderating the wear, when formulated properly with base stock oils. ZDDP is also known to have anti-oxidant and corrosion resistant properties which are very useful in preventing aging of the internal combustion engine.

Over the last 40 years there has been considerable pressure to reduce the use of ZDDP in motor oil applications because of long term human toxicity concerns, and the fact that they are considered to be toxic to aquatic wildlife with long lasting effects. This can be alleviated with proper safety and disposal practices.

Further, influencing the decision is that catalytic converter life times are decreased by contamination with Zinc and Phosphates, and hence a drive to decrease the use of the additive to lower concentrations and in some cases its elimination.

As engine oil manufacturers decreased the concentration of ZDDP in motor oils over the last 20 years concerns became apparent about the impact on wear in engines, both classic and modern. It is now clear that modern passenger car engines are quite different in their need for ZDDP. Many are multivalve overhead cam engines with lower spring pressures. Those modern engines that still use an overhead valve arrangement use roller lifters instead of flat tappets and hence have lower pressure metal to metal contact and consequently require lower performance additives.

However the impact on classic engines was more concerning. There are reports from several years ago that problems were manifested in the rapid wear and almost total destruction of the camshaft and lifters in freshly overhauled engines. Some have blamed this problem on poor quality rebuilds, and also that the replacement lifters which were not meeting hardness specifications. But this problem is also attributed to the appearance of lubrication problems during the “run in” or “break in” period. The benefits of ZDDP are, after all, especially important during the break-in period for camshafts and lifters, and it makes sense that the excessive wear and destruction of parts will show up in recently overhauled engines well before we see it in higher mileage motors.

So these are some of our conclusions. These types of problems are never simple, but as a result of our reading we would offer the following observations:

#1 Consider using ZDDP as an additive in the motor oil during the run in period on a rebuilt classic engine.

#2 Be careful with the concentration of ZDDP used in your break in oil, as over dosing can cause increased wear – more is not always better! Always refer to the manufacturers specs and measure well.

#3 Consider using in your classic, motor oil which specifically contains ZDDP. Valvoline, for example, has a range of products as do. If you prefer, add ZDDP to your normal engine oil, making sure that you measure properly and achieve the manufacturers recommended concentration levels.
    And remember, the ZDDP additive can help ensure a happy and long lived motoring.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:22 am

WOW thanks Wheelie that was a lot of info now I understand more clearly thanks a bunch. ........JOE VAN.........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm