VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

What alternator to get ?

Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

What alternator to get ? Empty What alternator to get ?

Post by Linoman Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:53 pm

As part of my new radiator install I put in a 2-speed electric fan, the maker of the relay/control unit is recommending a 105amp or better alternator, so I need some suggestions of what alternator to get. Keep in mind I don't want this to turn into a rewiring project at this time. Thanks ~ Tim
    chicanoline

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

What alternator to get ? Empty Re: What alternator to get ?

Post by chicanoline Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 pm

gm 1 wire is easy. get ridof the voltage reg at the same time.email me and I will give you details. it is easy and you are done then.
    Johnny wilder4toys@yahoo.com

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I am using a 200 watt one wire. You can get them on ebay or at Summit Racing among other places. Don't get a chrome one. Chrome will not dissipate heat
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:52 am

Take a look at this thread, I put some good source links in that first post. It sounds like you and I are using the same relay setup.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-g-f17/fire-starter-or-needed-which-alternator-do-i-use-and-how-many-amps-t14623.htm
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks Scott ~ great article on M.A.D. web site. Thanks Johnny, I'll contact you if I go 1-wire. Thanks Mike, I'll stay away from the chrome. Don't really need something to polish any ways.
    I'll you'all informed. anyone else with an opinion? I'm still processing. ~ Tim
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm

I upgraded to a 130 Amp out of a 97 cougar.Some minor wiring involved one heavy gauge wire from alt to solenoid with a maxi-fuse inline and one wire from the old reg harness to excite the alt.this is on a 289 dont know if a six cylinder would have same brackets.
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:15 am

I've used the Powermaster 115 amp/95 at idle alternator on all the street rods I put together over the years without having any issues. I like the 95 amps at idle as I feel that's when the system is taxed the most - twin electric slim jim fans running - A/C on and the headlites don't dim any while your waiting for the traffic lite to turn green. A little on the pricey side, but well worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am