VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Alternator

trado
    trado

Number of posts : 52
    Registration date : 2013-07-03

Alternator Empty Alternator

Post by trado Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 am

As my genny is toast I was reading posts about the alternators that will work. I have a guy down the road that scraps and has torn alternators off several vehicles but doesn't know what they are for. How do I know what will fit my 63 170 engine? Just by looking through them is there a way to tell? Thanks Ralph in Pa.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Alternator Empty Re: Alternator

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 am

This is the 2 wire GM alternator that has the regulator built inside,,,,,,,

Alternator 3rd_ge10
    trado
    trado

Post by trado Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks Donivan. I am hoping he has one of the newer 3g ones that have been mentioned. Wan't sure what they looked like but I want options to look for when I stop in.

I am so anxious to get started on this again.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 am

Well,,,,,,,,these cost like $29 at Autozone,,,,,,,for a 63 amp output,,,,,,you hook up 2 wires to it,,,,,,I put these on everything around me.....so it is a choice,,,,, not hard to put in,,,,,you can get rid of that old voltage regulator and its wiring,,,,,,we got good directions on how to do it.......

Alternator 1a_in_10

Alternator 1b_in_10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 am

LOVE IT!! as a Chev man = I just LOVE to see any GM part installed on any FORD!! Winner winner =hehe= cheers cheers lol! lol! lol!  They work GREAT!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

But you might have to ask a Ford guy how to modify the generator bracket to get this GM alternator to mount to your engine,,,,

Alternator Gm_alt10
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 am

I'm in the middle of rewiring my '62 Falcon and instead of buying a new voltage regulator, I'll probably just go this route. New 1-wire alternator and cleans up the messy wiring I'm fixing anyway. So Donivan, I mean Governor, besides the resistor to the Gen. Light, I just need to figure out the stock mounting bracket to work on this alternator, correct? Oh and it's just a 144ci in the van (for now) but I want to cruise this summer so I'm anxious to get it running and seeing asphalt.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

You guys are talking about the bracket in this post,,,,,I think I would just get a flat piece of 1/4" steel,,,,,put two 90 degree bends in the end ,,,drill holes to mount it to  match your holes in the engine,,,,drill holes in the end for the alternator bolt,,,,,you need to line up the pulleys for the fan belt and mount the bracket and add a spacer to make everything fit correctly,,,,,,,,,the GM alternator uses a 3/8" bolt through it,,,,you might have to drill it out for a bigger Ford bolt,  but you get the idea,,,,everything is built into the Alternator,,,,it is NOT a 1 wire,,,it is BETTER,,,,a 1 wire just puts out 14 volts at the alternator,,,,that #2 terminal on a 3nd Gen  is the sensing line,,,wherever you hook it to will get 14 volts,,,,you could hook it to the fuse box and thats where 14 volts will get to,,,,I am saying the output of that alternator is adjustable,,,,,with these old vans the voltage at the battery is not what you get at the headlights,  so you can adjust the output if you need to,,,,,the#1 is what turns on the regulator,,,,if you took a test light and hooked it to the output terminal on the alternator and started the engine,,,all you would need to do is to touch the #1 terminal to give it a shot of juice, that starts the alternator charging and you are good to go until you shut the engine off and you have to do it all over again,,,,I just say this in case you have a problem figuring out how to hook up the #1 wire circuit,,,,one shot to #1 and the alternator is turned on and keeps going....

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25611p15-alternator-brackets
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 pm

,,,I guess for a few dollars more, you could get one of those fancy 1 wire alternators,,,,,

Alternator Wired10
    trado
    trado

Post by trado Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 am

So on your diagram Donivan I do not need the resistor if I bring the wire from the GEN light? Also the top bracket I read needs spaced out 3/16" so I have to remove the fan to get the bolt out and space it out? Thanks

PS I did just go buy a new one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 am

#1 needs power to it to turn on the internal voltage regulator,,,,,,it also puts out a signal back to let you know the alternator is charging,,,,and if you don't have an idiot light or resistor in that line, that signal might go right back to the ignition switch and keep it powered up so the ignition switch might not shut off the engine when you turned off the key.......That adjustment spacer is a Ford guys answer,,,,You just need to have the adjuster bracket keep the belt tight,,,,,,maybe it needs a spacer,,,,or be bent,,,,or another type....or change its position,,,,,or bolt on an extension to it to get it to align up....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:25 am