VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips???

mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Empty v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips???

Post by mo_1040 Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Just dropped my v8 in... was wondering what recommendations are out there for a radiator...what would work and fit the best...
    what have you tried that worked the best for hooking up the gas pedal and shifting linkage for an auto tranny?
    I'm pretty handy at rigging and fabricating but was wondering what others have used for their rides.
    Also I happen to work at a cast iron foundry... have tossed around the idea about having a mold made for the tranny mount for the turbo 350's. I'm pretty sure my boss would let me do this but would need one to use as a pattern. If there is enough people interested in a small production run of these I might just be able to make it happen.
    Thank you for any idea's that you guys share with me...
    Kurt
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Empty Re: v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips???

Post by mo_1040 Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 am

Had this post on for a few day here... thought it would be good for people who wanted to do a v8 swap to get some idea's of what others have done to make their swap easier... I will be posting progress of my swap to show how things are going... If you have done this swap and have done something or used parts from other cars that would be helpful than I would love your input... Will post some picks of my crossmember that I rigged up tomorrow... I would love some input on what you guys have done...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Empty Re: v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips???

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:51 am

So this is going in a 67 Chevy Van that a 6 cylinder came out of? The 67 Chevy Van with V8's came with a crossflow radiator with 4 rows of tubes, a surge tank and a shroud to keep the engine cool,,,,,,,,

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? 4_row110
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:24 am

If you can't find a suitable radiator, Ter' at the Yahoo Group may be able to get you a 4 row aluminum radiator that we modify a little for the A100s. It's shorter than the stock radiator, but it has four 1 1/2" connectors, one in each corner. It also has a trans cooler.

I have a feeling that some people may want to talk to you about repro-ing some bell housings.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Some pictures of the cross member that I borrowed from the donor van(1977 GMC). I installed the cross member and jacked it up to the right height then made brackets to mount it to the van. I thought it turned out pretty nice.
    v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? 100_0715
    v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? 100_0716
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Question about the surge tank that goes on the radiator....
    I understand that a surge tank is needed because the radiator is lower than the top of the motor and needs to get rid of air in the system... My question is this...
    would a filler neck on the intake manifold such as moroso p/n mor63420 and an overflow tank work instead of the surge tank?
    v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Mor-6311
    I think i would have to cap off the radiator pressure cap and use the one on the manifold filler neck... Do you guys have any opinions about this or any reasons why this wouldn't work?
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:24 pm

Here is some excellent coolimg info http://www.centuryperformance.com/cooling-system-basics-spg-136.html
    Before one of my vans was t-boned I planned to keep the 350 cool by changing the old open type pressurized system to the new closed or reservoir system. I planned on over killing it by removing the surge tank, using a reservoir along with a griffin radiator and this
    v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? P_Et1kjpg
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:08 pm

question on wiring... The original alternator had an external voltage regulator. The alternator that i am installing has an internal voltage regulator. I figured that the brown wire on the original voltage regulator can go to terminal 2 on the new alternator and the main bat terminal can run either straight to the battery or the large post on the starter... where would the best place to splice the wire for terminal one on the new alternator???

I also was looking for the wire for the temp switch(or dummy light) which is supposed to be dark green. I found a dark green wire coming out of the connector under the driver seat(engine compartment side) that was about an inch long that was looped around and had heatshink on it. looks like a factory job...is it possible that they never had the dummy light hooked up for the temp? am i looking at the right wire? The motor that I removed wasn't the correct motor(was one from a nova) and wasn't wired up when I got it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 am

The #1 terminal on the Alternator can use the #4 Brown wire on the regulator. This is from the idiot light and it has a resistor on it and thats exactly what the #1 terminal needs to turn the regulator in the Alternator on.
    The #2 terminal is the sensing line. You don't want to just hook it to the output terminal on the back of the alternator. It turns the alternator off at 14 volts, so you might only be getting 13 volts way back at the battery. I like to run a wire from the #2 terminal to the battery cable on the starter solenoid, so 14 volts makes it back there.
    And the temp light is dark green. So find it at that connector under the seat. Grounding it out with the key on should cause the light to come on. And that light uses a temp sending SWITCH instead of a SENDER, kind of useless. Put some kind of real gauge in there so you can see what the Temperature is and get to know what Temp your Van runs at. And just to remind everyone, we have the wiring diagrams for the CHEVYS on our Home page under Parts Locator.....
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Post by ViewMaster Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 am

donivan65 where are the diagrams exactly Question
    Here is one that I made years ago actually it was my first Photoshop project. 67 thru 70 Colorized Wiring Diagram
    And here is a page showing about the same thing that you are doing.
    Converting an Externally Regulated to an Internally Regulated Alternator
    But as the author of the article and donivan say don't connect the #2 to the output too close to the output of the alternator. it is there for sensing the voltage of the system. I would prefer to hook it up to the red wire on the horn relay.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 am

Carl: That is a great wiring diagram! I wish someone had one like that for the Dodge A vans. My eyes aren't what they used to be (not that they were good to begin with). We are lucky to have diagrams online, but yours looks like it would be such a time saver by eliminating any confusion.

Is there a section on the website for items like that were you jump right to it with having to search for it?
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Post by ViewMaster Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks itruns, but even after I added color to it on the computer I still needed it right at the van so I made a few of these v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Fb6 but they are kinda tricky to do by hand. It has held up quite well being made out of laminated card stock when it gets grimey it just wipes off and gets stuffed in the electrical tote box.
    I don't know where the resouce section is, I'm hoping that Donivan will point it out.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 am

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:04 pm

The 2nd Gen wiring diagram did not show that the wires still joined up at the horn relay like on the 1st Gens so thats why I said put the sensing line on the solenoid. But thats a good place for it.
    WHERE ARE THE DIAGRAMS? BURIED deep in the system.
    You need to dig deep. It was easier in the beginning when there was only 2 pages on this site. But to get there, go to the HOME PAGE/click on MAIN LINKS PAGE/check out Laurel and Hardy and click on one of those black and white pictures to choose your Van model/ then CHEVY PARTS LOCATOR where you will see a whole bunch of good stuff!!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 pm

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Deep_210

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Deep1a10

v8 swap...ideas...tricks or tips??? Deep310

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 am