VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Need some ideas

ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Need some ideas Empty Need some ideas

Post by ramian09 Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:02 pm

So I have the floor pans and have disconnected everything on the floors. I have officially started to cut out the front floors.  How should I attach the new pans to the frame, the wheel well, and the front part of the floor that is staying? Should I spot weld evrrything and use a sealer or should I try to run welds the length of everything? I need some ideas I don't like either of those options but that's what I'm seeing???
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Need some ideas Empty Re: Need some ideas

Post by jdlaugh Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:15 am

I did some of both, spot weld and seam weld. Depends on the location. When the floor is on top of something, like a frame rail, then spot welding for strength is fine. If you're trying to butt-weld the floor to another piece of floor, then weld the entire seam. If you can create a flange so the old and new overlap, spot welding is okay but I would probably still do the entire seam.

Clean both sides of the existing floor that will stay. You want to get all the way to clean metal. Rusty metal and old paint don't weld good. Evil or Very Mad
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 am

Awesome thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. If I spot weld to the frame should I try to seal it with anything so water doesn't get in the frame? I've looked around and the frame is not water tight as it sits. But I will probably be exposing some raw metal in around and on the frame .
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

I'm a big fan of sealing every little seam with seam sealer. Doesn't cost that much and it's good insurance. And, of course, good paint as a final step.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 am

Assuming you are using a TIG welder, spot weld your piece into position. Then, carefully weld all seams. You have to remember these vans and trucks are unibody and the floor pans and all flooring panels are considered structural. Not welding completely will allow stress on a spot weld that could break causing issues with the structural integrity of the entire van. Don't over build on your weld seams. Then you have to do a lot of grinding. ( Pain in the butt.)

Once you have a clean welded seam you can then use the sealer for a better appearance.

The main thing is that if you don't weld on a regular basis, take your time and have patience with the process. If you can afford it, have it done professionally. In a pinch, I have farmed work out rather than get in a hurry and mess it up.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks you guys that is all good advice I'll wood and seam seal. No unfortunately I'm using a Lincoln buzz box yep sure it's going to be the key.
    Buddyr
    Buddyr

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2015-10-08

Post by Buddyr Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm

I have been using a weld thru primer on all the frame tops and bottom of panels. Basically anywhere you won't be able to paint later.
    mnghost
    mnghost

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Post by mnghost Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 pm

You may want to read thru the posts this guy has done on panel repair. There are a lot of good tips for your type of repair

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182565

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:18 am