VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+17
Barnabas
RodStRace
Vannin Ken
EcoPU
mothradeath
econolineherb
Old Skool
jimthefred
EconoUSAparts
gotdurt
texasjohn
rev.chuck
wacko
Hangtime
G-Man
DanTheVanMan
dante81_98
21 posters

Got the axles flipped on my pickup

EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Got the axles flipped on my pickup - Page 3 Empty Re: Got the axles flipped on my pickup

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:23 am

Vic I wasn't even aware you guys removed a spring on mine. I'll have to look at it. It does drive pretty darn good but I do notice a little issue at high speed which isn't too often. I believe in your reply you said it backwards. Originally the axles IS under the springs, NOT on top so when I saw flip or reverse it I mean hang the springs( whole front of vehicle actually) off the lower side of the axle. That's why I will use stronger U bolts when I make these blocks, technically a cradle locking everything into place unlike just blocks or spacers, since they will be supporting a lot of extra weight. I don't know which U bolts you guys used on mine but if they aren't grade 8 I will be swapping them out. I'm not gonna market these and leave my ass hangin out their for liability without taking steps to ensure safety. This is what my local spring shop does when they do it and what they insist needs to be done which sounds logical to me.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Got the axles flipped on my pickup - Page 3 Empty Re: Got the axles flipped on my pickup

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

mothradeath wrote:Axle blocks seem like a great idea....but typically with just an axle flip your almost in need of c-notching the frame. With blocks...it would be a definate. I said it early in this thread......I've read a million threads about people trying to achieve lowering these vans and even committing to doing it but I haven't found ANYBODY who has done it, figured out the bump steer issues and made it a driver without any sketchy issues. no one. Nobody ever even mentions the issue of radiator contact with the suspension when talking about doing this or the shift linkage. Please.......somebody prove me wrong.

Like I said,take the time to read up on it. Get the book Vic recommends and learn how to correct it. Not everyones vehicle will be the same as there are different engines, radiators, springs, transmission varieties, shocks, sway bar there or not, which axle it is and which steering arm on the spindle(2 different heights),wheel/tire size, play and wear already present in all steering and suspension components, shackles used, and more. There will never be a cookie cutter solution for any method used. The radiator isn't an issue on mine or my previous 62 model. Neither was the auto shift rod on my 62 or the smooth shift cable conversion on my 61 that Vic makes(I highly recommend it). I can't see where any shift rod issues would ever be in question as they are attached higher at body level which won't change from lowering at all.
      Sounds like you are a little gun shy about trying this. Jump in, get your feet wet at least. The waters warm. It can be overcome.

P.S. this is my 3rd lowered truck, none have required a frame notch, unless talking about rear axle. I would be interested in hearing more from Herb in Florida about his he has had lowered for many, many years.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:54 am

I assure you that I'm not scared to get my feet wet. My van has a 5 inch body drop with a bagged mustang II front clip and a triangulated bagged rear setup. I reread what I posted and if it sounded like I was being aggressive towards you I wasn't. I'm just saying there is a ton more to doing this than a lot of guys lead on to be. Definately not a weekendproject. Definately not just slapping some blocks on like a lot of easy vehicles.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am

mothradeath wrote:   I assure you that I'm not scared to get my feet wet. My van has a 5 inch body drop with a bagged mustang II front clip and a triangulated bagged rear setup. I reread what I posted and if it sounded like I was being aggressive towards you I wasn't. I'm just saying there is a ton more to doing this than a lot of guys lead on to be. Definately not a weekendproject. Definately not just slapping some blocks on like a lot of easy vehicles.

Naw you weren't aggressive just sounded really frustrated. Glad to see your feet are soaked, lol. This topic has been discussed a lot and a lot of folks shy away out of fear without even attempting to figure it out. Trial and error, over and over ,eventually it'll get worked out.
    Tuck
    Tuck

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2014-02-23

Post by Tuck Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 am

Howdy all, Newby to the forum. Just picked up a 64 Econoline truck. Going for a pretty extensive restore including full drivetrain swap, lowering and paint. This morning I'm sussung out the front suspension and stumbled on this forum and thread. Great info!! I only want 2" drop up front and I think I want to go the drop axle route to maintain some front suspension travel. Sid's seems to be a good source but I'm a long way from OK and would rather not deal with shipping. Anyone here know of someone in So Cal dropping econoline front axles?

Also off topic I've got a complete running stock drive-train I need to get rid of.
    200/6 rebuilt in 2010 with recipt, 4sp on the tree trans, small rearend and drive-line.

Would be really stoked to trade it for a 2" drop axle or ford 9 third member in the 3.0-3.25 range w posi.

All still in the truck so anyone interested in a swap can drive it before removal.

Thanks
    Tuck
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:05 am

Tuck,,,, WELCOME TO VV,    I am in the San Fernando area and deal in Econolines and parts. I make  a disc brake conversion, V8 cross cross members, transmissions, parts, 9" rear axles,, you name it. Interested in yours???   I have a posi and many other parts...PM if interested to view some trucks in progress and come by and chat..
    vic

vlafountaine@socal.rr.com
    Tuck
    Tuck

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2014-02-23

Post by Tuck Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:22 am

[quote="Old Skool"]Tuck,,,, WELCOME TO VV,    I am in the San Fernando area and deal in Econolines and parts. I make  a disc brake conversion, V8 cross cross members, transmissions, parts, 9" rear axles,, you name it. Interested in yours???   I have a posi and many other parts...PM if interested to view some trucks in progress and come by and chat..
    vic

Thanks Vic, Couldn't figure out PM so I'll shoot you an e-mail. Was thinking about disk brakes too.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:07 pm

You want to talk about bump steer ... take one of these vans out for a rip with no shocks in it ... I did ... gives "Shake and Bake" a whole new meaning ... got rid of a lot of interior dust though and you got to know the brakes and steering pretty good ... going back into the driveway you sure figured out pretty quick whether those seat springs were broken on the drivers side ... that's for sure ... I had no idea that personal violation was part of the mandate ... would never have done it had I known ... sheesh ...
    gearheadflicks
    gearheadflicks

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2012-04-19

Post by gearheadflicks Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm

mine is flipped as well and it's scary. at first the tires were hitting inside the wheel well and would jerk the steering wheel. So i bought new leaf springs which raised it up some but not enough.... so i bought ridetech air bags to raise it when driving.. it works and gets the tires far enough from the well but now it's flexing my leaf springs too much which makes it ride a little high and not allowing the leafs do their natural thing. After all this I'm wanting to flip back my axle. I now prefer safe over style.

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:55 pm

gearheadflicks wrote:mine is flipped as well and it's scary. After all this I'm wanting to flip back my axle.  I now prefer safe over style.

Your not the first person to say this, thanks for the report though, may save somebody else the headache/expense?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm