VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Alternate Rear Axles

Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Alternate Rear Axles Empty Alternate Rear Axles

Post by Das Boot Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm thinking of going with a 8.8 out of 96-00 explorer. I have the usual peanut 4.00 in my 65 truck and would like something a little under 3.5. Has anyone tried it? I can pick one up cheap ~$110 but it's going to require redoing the brakes because it only comes with disc brakes and 1/2" wheel spacers on each side because it's an inch narrower. Another option is a Dana 35, but I haven't done much research on them other than they seem like they'll be less work - drum brakes and exact width. Anyone have any suggestions or horror stories? Thanks!
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Alternate Rear Axles Empty Re: Alternate Rear Axles

Post by EcoPU Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:25 am

12speedfurd
    12speedfurd

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2012-08-23

Post by 12speedfurd Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 am

The early 90's explorer 8.8s have drum brakes, and still have 31 spline axles and limited slip diffs....
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Is there a reason you simply don't use the 63 to 67 Ford Econoline 9" rear axle???   It is a direct bolt in, correct everything.  Besides being the strongest and a simple bolt in, it is stronger, you can change gearing in an hour to whatever suits you, and it has the sought after 2 1/2" rear shoes.
     The 8.8 is a very strong choice also and nothing wrong with it either, but the amount of hassles and or labor, etc,, are surely worth some kind of dollar value in terms of time or work versus a bolt in unit. Yes,, I do sell them so a jadded in mine,, LOL... but I do believe strongly in them and have quite a few here.
      Freight is surely too high from here to there, however Tim in Kentucky may have one for you.  I am guessing by your picture that you have a 65 five window pickup???  and as you are saying 4:00 gearing I am thinking you have the 170 motor?  Perhaps a 200???
      Its been my experience that a STRONG 170 or a 200 works very nicely with 3:25's as a little easier at higher speeds than the 3:50's.  The 3:50's much better for climbing hills, light loads or blowing off a Corvette,,,(sleeper)...
      Personally, I also like any disc brake over a drum brake,, besides no brake fade, and cheap brake jobs,,  there is no guessing which drum will lock up in the rain??   I hate sudden turns,,,
    Vic

Alternate Rear Axles 000_0512
      vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:45 am