VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by vanny Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

It's Good to be the King!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by VANagain Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

King for a day! And on my birthday, no less! Thanks a lot for posting the photos, Scotty! Last year it was you getting a trophy at this event.

I could have never gotten the van in such good running condition without all the help from LeftCoast65! The clutch rod on his van snapped that day. I dropped off some repair parts, which got his van home. Glad he was able to attend the show, even though his van couldn't be in it.

It was great that all us van guys could meet up and chat and see each others vans. Good turn out. They blast the old music along Main Street on cruise night. As I drove away, it was a warm night, sunset, mountains on the horizon, it felt a little like American Graffitti!

After the car show I drove up to Mt. Laguna to camp overnight. The van did great. Met up with a couple friends who were camping up there. They made steak dinner over the campfire! It was a great day!

I'll post a couple photos tomorrow.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 am

Sounds like a fantastic ending to a great day! Congrats to all of you!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Met up with Rich at the Swap Meet today,,,,,,,seen Chris and his blue van there,,,,,,I would say the coolant bottle would be the next of the 200 pieces that need to go back on his van......

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga15

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga17

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga18

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga19
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 am

Oh man, it's been a long time since I've posted here! Some progress has been made since September.

For now, I'm just about done gluing the Steele rubber weatherstripping on the doors. One left. I posted a question here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13199p30-door-rubberfor-the-doors#169663

I went with the second option, which I'm sure is how the rubber came stock. Now I have to readjust the latches on the doors to get them to be easier to close. The front ones especially.

I'll try to post more soon.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am

That's a GREAT looking Sports Van you have you should be VERY proud of that one for sure.Smile ..

Last edited by JOE VAN on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm

I did that a couple times. adjusted them to latch , let them sit a day then adjusted again to get a final set. I believe they are not quite as compressible as the original gaskets.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:31 pm

All your pictures are great help for everyone putting there vans back together after paint
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Empty Van Meet-Up at Coronado Tidelands Park

Post by VANagain Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Last weekend I got the van out to Coronado Tidelands Park to hang out with some other vans.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Corona10

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Corona11

A couple more photos and info here: https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t30406p900-the-surfing-guy-s-65#172068

Here you can see how the rechromed bumpers came out! The Bumper Shop in L.A. did a fantastic job straightening and smoothing them out! Cost $250 each. Well worth it. (Word to the wise: Don't overtighten the bumper bolts. The rear bumper got a little dimpled due to this. Going to be more careful on the front.)

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Corona12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Corona13
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 am

Beautiful!

65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 am

WOW VANagain you have really set the bar pretty high for the rest of us to look up to.  Nice work, Jerry
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:52 am

nothing like new chrome
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 am

very beautiful, nice work, love those little chevys !!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 am

,,,,,,,,now here is the way the song should go with the original VAN  people,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Icandrivea65_zpsf389654d

....you need to enlarge it a few times to see everyone,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey Rich, How about an look see this Saturday afternoon?

pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

vanagain the bumper shop fixed your bumpers or gave you someone elses? looking for someone to to my bumpers but they i modified them and want my bumpers back
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Me and that 64Chevy Guy went and grabbed some Chili Cheese dogs and went over to see Richs' van,,,,,,again.......

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga13

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga14

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga15

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga17

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Vanaga18
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:03 am

Love the look of the moon wheels on there!

Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

Post by Coop Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:19 am

WOW! Shocked It took me three days to go through this hole thing. I started reading it to see what it would take to put a 200R4 in my 68 and then just had to go through the hole thing. Lots of good info in here (thanks). The van looks great! cheers I can't wait till I get mine. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. Evil or Very Mad Hope I get it soon, there are like no vintage vans around here. Nice work guys Exclamation
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm

,,,before that van there was this van he got from New York and we freshened it up little,,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2234-back-to-vanagains-new-65-sportvan-deluxe
    Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

Post by Coop Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,before that van there was this van he got from New York and we freshened it up  little,,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2234-back-to-vanagains-new-65-sportvan-deluxe

Wow! Nice work. LMAO freshened up a little. Nice to meet you Don. This and vcvc have some great info and most of all just some of the nicest and most helpful people. Glad I found it. Very Happy 

Mike
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:00 pm

The little blue guy is on its 3rd owner since it emigrated to California,,,,,,,and I do believe we aint seen the last of him,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 30, 2015 8:41 am

Tranny coolers -straight skinny= The cooler in the radiator should be =1ST!! thats is simply due to that radiator water / coolant removes the temp of the fluid =FASTER!! that air will!! Thats the truth! then after the trans cooler -go to the air / aux. cooler!=drops it further! That being said - realize that radiator is having air forced thru it -when the engine is running & the aux cooler isnt! Until driving! I personally =like the coolers that are dual pass models with fans on them.Spendy yet =great! cheers
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 pm

VANagain wrote:After a lot of soaking, scraping and cleaning, the old sending unit looked pretty good. However, here's a word to the wise: Before you spend all the time to clean something, make sure it works first! I hooked it up to a multimeter and got no signal, no mater where I moved the float. Same thing when I tested a new unit!

Here's another thing to know: Make sure your ohm meter is set to the proper range. I had it on 200K and it should have been 200. Big difference!!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Sendin10

Of course no one remanufactures a gas tank sending unit for our vans. But I had been told that Impalas used 30 Ohm units like ours. The tubing and stuff was a different shape but you could remove the rheostat from the new one and put it on ours. So I ordered a stainless steel unit for a I61-64 Impalz vfom CarPartsDiscount.com for $34 (3/8" line, like ours). I took it apart and noticed it had a lot fewer windings than my van one, but it tested out with the right resistance: 0 to 30 Ohms.

But then I noticed an important difference. The Impala rheostat had a longer "throw" than the van's. This allows the float arm to travel a lot further, maybe twice as far as ours. Their gas tanks must be deeper. If I just used the Impala one as-is, my guage would only travel from 1/4 to 3/4. So I came up with a plan to shorten the float arm to compensate. Look at the pictures below. The top one shows the stock van unit. I marked how far the float went at each extreme (full and empty). If I shortened the arm, that would cause it to rotate more degrees to go the same distance.

Then, the more I looked at that shiny, stainless steel Impala unit, the less I wanted to put my old one back in. So, I spent a couple hours carefully bending the tubing in my vice with rubber jaws on it. First I had to bend the top 90 degrees, since the Impala's mount to the back side of the tank and ours go in the top. That one was not easy to bend and I had to be careful not to kink it. I couldn't really undo their tight 90 degree bend but then I realized I didn't need to totally. It was okay if the tube still had curves in it, as long as the top ended up perpendicular to the tube. Next, the bottom tube was way too long, so I cut off the bent part they had and added my own bend using a tubing bender (not nearly as easy as fuel line, that stainless is tough). I'm pretty sure I got the it to where it will pick up the last bit of gas in the bottom of the tank.

Bending the float arm was a lot easier. And it has to follow the shape of the pickup tube or else you can't install the thing through the hole in the gas tank!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Sendin11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Sendin13

It may be that the 62-65 Nova sending unit would be a better match, because it is a lot shorter, but I figured I could shorten the Impala one, but it's hard to lengthen the Nova, if it needs it.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 62-65_10

This weekend I should get this in the tank and the tank in the van. Then we'll know if it really worked. Hmm, maybe I'll just set the tank on the ground, hook up the wires, and test it by filling it and emptying it with water first...
    I need to get a sender, mine has been screwed with before, resister has been replaced with a plastic weird something, doesn't work.
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I ordered one similar to yours from Truckandcarshop.com that Donivan suggested. I could not find the universal type he used but found one I think will work.
    Mine is pretty bad and has been modified before(didn't work)
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Img_0110
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 23 Img_0111

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm