VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by wideload Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:13 am

At those prices,I'M LIKING MY FADED LOOK MORE EVERY DAY!!!!!

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by mbasaraba Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 am

That is insane! VAN, can you give some examples of what they are going/wanting to do? I know your van is faded but what in the world would come close to a $15k paint job, the body looks solid and pretty straight? Is that outside and in or something? I dunno, this seems crazy to me. Looks like I need to put up a paint booth again at those prices. Holy cow!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 am

It does seem outrageous, but WTH , I can dump a few grand into a drive train and not worry so much about the rest. Priorities !! LOL
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 am

I am very amazed @ the prices quoted from some shops. The laborrates today are way too high for apersons Hourly wage. Most people dont & cant make ever over 2030 bucks an hour even in a union shop- less on a daily small repair shop. Ive always found when ive recieved a quote thats high- if I just asked & looked around ,I could find a place or someone that needed the work, was doing what i needed @ home or extra shop they had for much less. There is way too many people now out of work to justify the high estimates for any work-usually ive found most all that have high prices just want to make a really quick buck and quick money!! For 5 grand one could almmost transport a van round trip to a good paint shop somewhere across the country??Have it painted & such. I dont know about what others are paid hourly for their work-but NOBODY is getting 50 bucks & up per hour for their labor in their pockets around here . Amazing to even think about 15 grand for paint work=wow!! My 2 cents worth.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 am

A lot of times the $50 per hour for things like sanding and leveling the body covers the charge of filler, paper and machine wear.

I know here at my company we charge $100 an hour for my time and the time on my machine, to customers even though I only make $30 of that.

Regardless, they are making a killing on that hourly rate. Supplies to paint and redo the van will be no more than $3000 IMO, so figure it high at $5000. So that leaves $12,000 for hourly? That is like 181 hours of labor. I guess if there is a LOT of panel REPLACEMENT that will take some time but I can guarantee you in a BIG shop, they will throw 5 guys on it and have it blocked down in 4-5 hours and shoot it.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 am

As close as you guys are to the border I'm surprised you don't do some research and check out the shops over there. I've seen some really nice work come from South of the border. Especially interiors. And the prices seem to run 20% or 30% of US prices. Of course, your project may disappear while down there but what the hey.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 am

you guys may be on to something here, I bet that shop is trying to make a profit! (gasp) honestly, if their employees get $25 an hour there are other costs to the shop over and above what the employee takes home on his check. is that employee doing the work at his home in his garage? does that building have insurance? what about their electric bill… lots of overhead.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:37 am

Right. They gave me a lower quote when they were in the old, smaller, outdoor shop. I can't imagine what their new building costs. And they just bought a CNC mill. Plus the estimator guy and the buxom tattood receptionist are total overhead.

The estimator just called me, reminding me to bring in some parts I forgot, but mainly to get me to come in today to put 1/3 down to lock in the deal. I told him I'm having a hard time justifying the cost and I'll get back to him on Monday.

I'd be embarrassed (ashamed?) to tell people I paid $14,000 for bodywork and paint on my old van. Even half that is hard to swallow but I can accept that is what it takes to do a decent job.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am

I think the biggest problem is going to be your cat, He ain't going to be very happy if you chase him off your vans roof after 4 years,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

I can send you a raccoon that will keep that cat off the roof. Very Happy

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:24 am

No way,,,,,,,they think that cat is a person,,,,,he gets REAL good treatment,,,,,,,,,he ain't going to be happy about having to move off that roof where he can watch what is going on down at the Beach from there ,,,,,,,
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:46 am

for that sort of coin they can do a built in cat bed/perch.

this reminds me of this past summer. our a/c quit, indoor temps quickly skyrocketed. the a/c repair guy was $200 an hour! took him 4 hours to replace the expansion valve. I was NOT happy. called the guy that installed/sold us the a/c (geothermal) and complained. he explained about the costs of operating the repair truck, the truck, the fuel, the insurance, the fancy nasa inspired equpment, the secretary that operates the billing software and the dispatcher, all overhead. he made a good point.

but then my wife (attorney) told them we were taking them all to small claims court as we believe it was a “manufacture defect”. they cut us a check for $350 to help ease our pain.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm

The other side of that $15,000 coin is not as shiny,,,,,,the van don't fit in the garage,,,,,it is parked in the salty ocean air and the fog rolls in at night,,,,,,so that van lives in adverse conditions,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:06 pm

How many rattle cans &how much sandpaper can ya buy for 13K?
    JKJK Y'all gotta Macco there,just for shyts & giggles to throw back at the guy as alternative bid?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

This is one of them there aftermarket $1600 body shop jobs

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Dave_113

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Dave_111

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Dave_114

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Ahhhh.Mr.Sheib
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Wow I LOVE that blue! That is SHARP!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

I think it is Metalflake Royal Blue ,,,,
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:47 am

This week I finally made a decision -- I decided to go with the expen$ive body shop! I want it to be perfect, I can afford it, and this has dragged on too long! This project is not about resale value. It's kind of like my perfectionistic art project.

I'll keep you posted. They said it would take 2.5 months. I'll be checking in with them periodically and will take pictures.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 am

Congrats VANagain!

At $13,798 I expect it to be good, AND stay good.
    What kind of warranty/backup are they claiming?

Don't feel sick, I have friends who have paid 2x
    and a little more for seemingly non-collector cars.
    It's the going rate if you shop around...

...very very few vans will be able to touch the
    quality you will attain!

George
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Empty Body Shop Photos!

Post by VANagain Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:30 am

Alright! Here are some bodyshop photos!! This is the fun part, dropping in and seeing the progress!

Here it is on 3/8/12 with all the doors removed and sent off to the sand blaster. The man doing the bodywork has worked for this shop forever. His name is Mr. Van!! Very Happy He's smoothing out that front corner where the other body shop welded in the new metal.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh10 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh11

These shots are from my second visit, two days ago, 3/15. Doors are back from sandblasting, in white primer. Dog house cover, belly pan and splash guards too! Mr. Van had made his way all the way around the van fixing the many little dents, especially beneath the rear bumper. Final sanding had not been done yet. They assured me that the filler will be thin when they're done. They've circled all the holes I want filled.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh13 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh14 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh15 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Bodysh17                 before: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Dscn3710 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Dscn5510

I tell ya, they're gonna earn that money from me! As Don and the rest of you may have noticed, I'm quite the perfectionist! Every time I go in there I spend a lot of time going over many details with them. (Actually, they could probably tell too and charged accordingly!)
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 am

Man that Van is going to be nice!.

M1D
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:57 pm

VANagain,I have watched your build and how you want it and looks to me like you are going to be happy with the results.
    I am looking foreward to seeing the finished product ! Bill
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:50 am

I've been checking in with my bodyshop each week. I usually find something to point out that they've missed from my elaborate instructions! And there's always some part I need to bring them from my garage. Plus it's so fun to see the progress!

Photos from 4/6/12. Here several antennae holes have been filled:
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3410

More work on the back:
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3412

All the doors but one had been bodyworked and primed with the heavier filler primer:
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3411

More pictures to come!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:05 am

4/12/12 Now they've primed the entire bottom half, all the way around! Looking good!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3510

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3511

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 12 Img_3512

Next step: Fitting the doors...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 am