VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
Russell
Scott
Nightmoves
richie61
ChevyVanMan1
VANagain
savage
Vanish
64chevy
DanTheVanMan
Digz
donivan65
G-Man
17 posters

Gas Tank where to start

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Gas Tank where to start Empty Gas Tank where to start

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Gas Tank where to start 100_0212

Going to start restoring my gas tank from the 64, I know the first thing I should do is see if it leak by my guessing filling up with water and letting it set a few days. (can't do that just yet or I've a 16 gal ice cube) Will do this in the end of Feb.

My question is if it don't leak what do I clean it out with??? This tank I bet hasn't had new gas in 8 years and sure theres sludge in there. Also what takes off undercoat good??? This stuff comes off hard and don't want to get too agressive and put a hole in it myself. I would like to clean it good to paint it. I already plan to have the sender rebuilt
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gas Tank where to start Empty Re: Gas Tank where to start

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Maybe check with a radiator shop and see if they will hot tank it to clean it inside and out,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I used a hot air gun and a good scraper to get alot of the undercoating off. alsos it seemed like if you heat it up and then let it sit for a couple minutes some of it came of in bigger chunks for some reason. then I used alot of scotchbrite pads on a die grinder.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Chris,
    Depending on if your in a rush or not you can use "Under Gone Undercoating Remover". You can get it from Eastwood, about $12 a can, one will do it. Or if you have time poor some straight anti-freeze in it and shake it around, then poor some all over the outside. It will cause the sludge on the inside and undercoating to break down. It takes about a week for the undercoating and only a few hours for the sludge depending on how bad your is..

And yes, the anti-freeze takes a little extra time but..... No cost and very little effort!

Gas Tank where to start 1966_c13

Gas Tank where to start 1966_c14

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Gas Tank where to start Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 pm

donivan65 wrote:Maybe check with a radiator shop and see if they will hot tank it to clean it inside and out,,,,,,,,
    I've heard that hot tanking it will remove the tin coating inside the tank and then you'll have to re coat the inside. Is that true or just an old wifes tale? Vanagain said he had his done at a radiator shop so maybe he's got some insight.

I'd planed to have mine soda blasted on the outside and then do the Muriatic acid and pea gravel trick on the inside to remove the old varnished gas. Supposedly this leaves the factory tin coating intact. We'll see.

DanTheVanMan wrote:use "Under Gone Undercoating Remover". You can get it from Eastwood, about $12 a can, one will do it.
    Isn't that stuff the same as oven cleaner? That's what I've been using to soften and remove undercoating.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Chris .. be Carful Checking the Gas Tank with Water for Leaks .... If you have a small leak .. Cause Gas will Find a Hole in the Tank That Water wont ..........

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Still on the subject of gas tanks ,, I learned something today,, make sure you have your bumper brackets in "Before" you install the tank. Mad
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 pm

all great information here.....
    Bill how should I check it for leaks????
    Digz I'll b good no bumpers on this van, but great infor for others
    Dan I only hope my tank looks even half as good as your. (looks new) I'm going to try the anti-freeze first. Did you put it in a kiddie pool to soak it????
    Don I will look into the hot tanking if this doesn't get all the crap out if it leaks may have to have them repair it anyway.
    64chevy I have also heard of the pee stone & acid trick , you guy have given me alot of ways to go. Thank You
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Only on one side Joe Laughing Been there done that
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Chris if that Tank Leaks it Will be in the Low spot on the Bottom if it's rusted from the inside ....unless it's rusted out from the out side ... Possibly on the top or along the seams were Dirt collects and gets wet .... Did You know that if you get a hole in the Tank a small one,,, while your out on the road you can take a Bar of soap and rub it in the hole the it will stop Leaking ??? I have seen this Done quite a few times ..... it's not the safest Thing to Do But I would Clean the out side of the tank and Put gas in it to Look for your Leaks ... on the out side .. cause Like I said if it's a Very small Leak water Wont leak from it But gas will .... If you get the Gas tank Hot Tanked it will have to be Coated on the Inside Cause IT WILL RUST ..... They Make a Coating for the Inside and the out side of the Tank ... The one for the out side almost Looks like a Bed Liner type Material ...... STAY AWAY FROM COATING ON THE INSIDE OF THE TANK THAT IS WHITE IN COLOR .... Cause it will start Peeling off from the inside and Plug every thing up ... The Good Coating is a amber coating That almost Looks like Beer ... and Dries a amberist Clear .... Not sure what it is called these Day But could find out ........

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:28 pm

I think VanAgain had this tank cleaned,,,,,,and I think they also seal them after they cook them

Gas Tank where to start Vanaga11
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Chris if your Tank Looks Like VanAgains I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO SEEK PROFESSINAL HELP WITH IT ......

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Bill I'll wait for warmer weather to fill it with gas, going to clean everything first and be careful doing it. I know the cleaning alone could cause a leak that would have happened down the road. The infor on the sealer is great because I was looking at it somewhere and it was white

Don as you can see I haven't pull the sending and I remember that picture from a while ago and hope mine isn't that bad.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Everyone needs to know what the inside of their gas tank looks like if they plan on keeping their van,,,,,,, I think I got that cruddy tank,,,,,,,,,VanAgain had it cleaned and there are a bunch of studs welded to a big dent on it where they were going to use a slide hammer to pull out the dent. Lets get the story from VanAgain when he gets off work later,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:23 am

I tried the stud welder on a dent in 1 of my tanks. Now I got a hole & a dent Sad
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 am

Gas Tank where to start Repair32
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:37 am

I brought my tank to a good radiator shop and they cooked the crud out of it and, as Joe said, that leaves the inside susceptible to rust. So then they applied the inner coating, which is beer colored. Feels like smooth plastic. And they can pressure test it for leaks. It wasn't cheap though. I think it cost $150 or more.

Lesson to you all: when you get your new van home, drain the tank first thing! Mine might have been much better if I hadn't let it sit for a YEAR before I drained it!

I think those welded studs might have worked to pull the dent out if you could pull on all of them at once. But how do you do that?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 am

I think you are going to be holding your rosebud tip next time you see that tank,,,,,,,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Gas Tank where to start Empty gas tank cleaning...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:11 pm

wow that earlier pic is incredibly cruddy. Will have to drop mine to see. Has a big old dent in the bottom from prior owner backing over something. Was going to remove it and burp (carefully) some compressed air into it to fill it out. Am not worried about scrapes and dings as long as it can hold close to spec fuel. Might put a reserve tank somewhere else above it that I can open a valve and let it flow into the original tank (hey I'm an old VW guy and that saved having a fuel guage from about 1939 to 1963--just fill up whenever you go to reserve).

Has anybody tried that POR-15 tank kit? It includes a pre-wash, acid and tank coating. Would love to know if it is holding up, over the years, for anybody.

Thanks much and happy motoring, Mark
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm

VANagain wrote: I think those welded studs might have worked to pull the dent out if you could pull on all of them at once. But how do you do that?
    You need one of these. A uni-clamp.

Gas Tank where to start Uni-cl10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 pm

I put this extra 10 gal VW bus tank in my van back during the oil embargo back in the 70's. I have not put it back in,,,,,16 gallons don't last long when you drive 150 miles a day out here,,,,,

Gas Tank where to start Tankme10

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm

my merc had a couple holes in the tank when i got her so i put screws in the holes with jb weld on them and then covered them with more jb, lasted for 3 years until i could put in a new tank. not the right way to do it but thats what i had to do.
    jeff
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Opened the tank today and happy with what I saw looks good in there and should clean up well. even the sender look in good shape, screen is clean and everything moves freely. I do have a pretty good dent in the bottom that I would like to pull out.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 pm

After taking Don's advice I dropped the tank and glad I did. Although this van was used as a daily driver 44 years took it's toll. The outside is in good shape with no dents or rust. Found stuff in the tank that I don't know if it's part of the fill tube or a midnight theft gone bad. Thinking of sending the gauge to be repaired in Ohio or NY. Don't know of any on the west coast. Does the antifreeze for the inside really work without damaging the coating? There's a thin layer of gunk on the bottom and haven't found the screen yet.

Gas Tank where to start In_bot11
    Gas Tank where to start Fuel_s11
    Gas Tank where to start Bottom11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm

I think if I had a Chevy/Gmc Van and it had a gas tank, I would be doing some serious thinking about getting this pick up truck sender and sliding the electrical section over to my van,,,,,,,,

Gas Tank where to start Fuel_s15

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:32 pm