VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
DanTheVanMan
donivan65
veefre
7 posters

Fuel Gauge Pegged

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Fuel Gauge Pegged Empty Fuel Gauge Pegged

Post by veefre Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 pm

The fuel gauge on my '67 108 has been acting up lately. After a fill-up (full), the pointer has started getting pegged, gradually coming down to reflect real values, but lagging. After the latest fill up, however, the needle has stayed pegged despite having put about 100 miles on the van.

Anything I should start on to diagnose/fix this problem? Is it more likely to be inside the tank (sending unit) or in the dash (fuel gauge)?

Thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel Gauge Pegged Empty Re: Fuel Gauge Pegged

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Pegged means wire is broken, fell off or sending unit gone bad,,,,,,,check the ground wire like somewhere around the right rear shock, near the rubber brake hose,,,,,feel up on the topside of the tank to see if both wires are connected to the fuel sender, then unplug the wire off the top of the sender and ground it,,,,,if gas gauge reads empty and goes past full when connected,,,,,sender is bad,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks, Doni!
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 pm

OK, I checked the ground wire - it was firmly attached to frame. Disonnected it, and still gauge is pegged at past full. Cleaned ground wire, screw, frame, connected back up firmly. Gauge pegged at past full. Tugged on sending unit wire - seemed to be firmly attached to sending unit. Couldn't get hands in there to disconnect it etc. It's a tight fit on this van (gas tank, that is).

A little history: I pulled the gas tank last year because the hose from metal fuel line to tank was crumbling. Replaced hose. Didn't fuss with the sending unit, though, but it was making a light clanking noise inside the tank when tank was full and van moving slightly (probably float hitting something). Anyway, that clanking noise has gone away along with the proper operation of the sending unit - so my assumption is that the sending unit has gone bad, finally. Also, the in the days prior to the final failure, the gauge would sometimes read correctly and sometimes get pegged high. Again, seems to be sending unit.

Anyway, I'm prepared to replace the sending unit. I notice there is a Spectra part number mentioned in varous online services : FG117A. Can get it special order locally or online, for under $60. Both Autozone and Napa list is for this vehicle. Other sites say it won't fit. Do you know if it's the correct part? Another part listed is 15708G, which is about $140. Would be nice to have the correct part in hand before I drain/drop the tank.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Wouldn't you know it... went out to the van this evening to move it into the carport, and was testing the instrument back lighting, turn signals, emergency flashers. Then the flashers blew a fuse and although I replaced all the fuses a couple days ago (after the gas gauge got pegged), I replaced a couple more. Anyway, had to turn the ignition on to test the turn signals and noticed that the gas gauge was no longer pegged, but registering half-full.

Why, I don't know. Might be some sort of electrical issue... The fuse panel has a fair amount of rust on the terminals, which is why I decided to replace all the fuses - coated the terminals with silicone grease to help prevent more rust, although probably I should wire brush them all at some point.

And probably still have to pull the tank and the sending unit anyway... at least for the moment I can tell how much gas is in the tank so I can drain it as much as possible before siphoning out the rest...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 pm

You still got problems,,,,if you turn the key off it reads empty,,,,,a bad fuse would still make it read empty,,,,,There is another connector in that sending unit wire that connects to the top of the tank,,,,it probably is right below the left rear tail light on the inside,,,,,see if that is making a good connection,,,,,You might have a hard time getting the right fuel sending unit,,,,you need a 5/16" line connection and a 90 ohm unit,,,,,,I had to switch the guts out of this Impala to get mine to work since the pick up tube assembly was so different. I went and got me one of those luggage combination locks at the 99 cents store,,,,it has 3 numbers on it for the combination,,,,I screwed it to my top pillar and put in my last 3 digits on my odometer when i fill up,, I keep track of my mileage that way,,,,I think you can get at least 200 miles on it before having to fill up again,,,,,its just a way to keep track trips between gas stations,,,,,,

Fuel Gauge Pegged Fs10
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 am

You can get parts to rebuild from these folks...

http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Fuel Gauge Pegged Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for the link.

The gas gauge isn't reading empty. It was reading past full, pegged. Not pegged empty. When the ignition is off, it reads whatever it was last reading when the ignition was on. This is mentioned in the owner's manual as being normal.

I didn't see a second ground wire under the left tail light. The sending unit wire comes out from above the tank (connected up there to the sending unit) to a hole in the frame and goes forward to the gauge in the dash.

I'll check around the left tail light to see if I missed something.

I do think I need to get a small wire brush and touch up the terminals on the fuse block under the dash. Apparently the windshield was leaking at some point and corroded the block terminals. The washer fluid tank was also leaking... fixed that yesterday.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 pm

In case you cant reach up and unplug the wire off the tank sending unit, then the next place to disconnect it is on the inside,, below the left rear tail light,,,,it is the wire coming up from the top of the tank. And we want to disconnect that wire (which does go back to the fuel gauge) to run a test,,,ground that wire ,,,,if the ignition switch, fuse , gauge and wiring are good,,,,gauge should read EMPTY,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Maybe the 2nd gen is different? There are two wires coming from the top of the tank. One goes to the passenger side frame rail and is grounded there. The other one comes out of the top driver side of the tank and goes forward into the frame rail towards the front of the van. As far as I could tell, it doesn't detour to the driver's side turn signal, but I'll check that again.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 am

OK, you're right (of course).

I just went out to the van in the dark and traced the "positive" lead from the sending unit to the frame rail forward - then it doubles back and exits the other side of the rail going up to the driver's side turn signal (actually, the backup light) area. I was able to disconnect the wire at that point at the quick connect. The dash gauge then pegged on past full again. Reconnected it, and the gauge indicates normally (about half a tank).

I suspect perhaps the connection of the wire to the sending unit was a bit loose, and tugging on that wire last night brought about a better connection and return to normalcy. Might need to drop the tank to inspect that connection, make it better. Also, there is slight gas odor coming from (I assume) the top of the tank, which may be a worn/leaky gasket for the sending unit. When I drained the tank and replaced the hoses last year, noticed that the metal fuel tube at the sending unit can swivel relatively freely. I accepted that because it makes reinstalling the tank easier. But perhaps I need to remove the sending unit and check to make sure that free swiveling isn't a problem with leakage etc.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:03 am

Its not supposed to turn at all.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 am

I see.

How does one remove the sending unit? The affair holding it on looked a bit confusing. Does one twist one of the disks to line up tabs with slots, or something like that?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 am

I don't think I am right everytime,,,,,but i sure like to find the right answers,,,You might of found your problem,,,,if the tube is loose from the base,,,,it does not ground properly,,,,it becomes an open circuit. So when you take it off, resolder it,,,,just like you would with copper tubing,,,,and you tap those tabs on the retainer ring to rotate it until it unlocks the sending unit,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

It is also best to use a brass punch instead of a screwdriver to avoid sparks when rotating the locking ring.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Fuel Gauge Pegged Repair30
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 pm

I suspect this sending unit has been replaced once already. That's because when I dropped the tank last summer, I noticed that it had been cushioned with... composite roofing shingle material (with gravel still attached). I replaced that with some nice neoprene rubber strips. I'm pretty sure, even considering some dodgy practices, Chevy didn't shim those gas tanks in the factory with roofing material.

It may also be that the replacement wasn't an exact fit.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Update: Since I tugged on the fuel sender electrical line, and cleaned up the fuse box up front, the gas gauge has been working normally.

I guess I'll pull the tank at some point, but perhaps not for a while yet.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:30 pm

thats cool. sometimes, not often but sometimes its a simple fix Smile
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks, we'll see if the gage problem returns.

There's still a faint raw gasoline aroma in the vicinity of the tank. Very slight, and actually the carb seems to exude more fumes from the doghouse after the engine is shut off. Will have to check both out at some point. Have looked at the carb/top of motor before and don't see any obvious leakage.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 am

The gas cap is vented, so you get some gas smell, At least on my 64 you do??
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 pm

The gas cap on this vehicle appears not to be vented.

I don't know if it's the original cap.

Perhaps I should replace it with one that is vented.

Perhaps the lack of venting is forcing gas out elsewhere...

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm

was your float intact? or was it crammed full of wine corks? Suspect
    Fuel Gauge Pegged Th_IMG_2182
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm

LOL, still haven't pulled the tank, so I don't know.

Last summer I pulled the tank and drained it out through the filler. There was a slight amount of sediment, but basically pretty clean inside, as far as I could tell.

In any case, yesterday I think I resolved the gauge issue. It turns out the connector by the RH tail light, which connects the wire from the dash to the wire from the fuel level sending unit, was not making a consistently good connection. I cleaned it and then tweaked the metal components to force them into a better contact. After that, so far, no more pegging of the gauge needle.

I also replaced the gas cap with one for an earlier year pickup (locking). In the process I noticed that the flange on the filler tube was bent outwards a bit, which probably inhibited good sealing with the old gas cap. So I gently tapped it into place with a piece of plastic between the hammer and the filler pipe. Now the new one seems to seal better, and I think the old one probably will seal better as well if I were to use it. I like the look of the new locking cap better, though, so I'll be keeping it as long as it seals well. I don't seem to be detecting the gas aroma any more, either.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Maybe worth checking the gauge itself. If yours is pegging at different positions, the needle may be bent.
    I am in the middle of rebuilding my 100 dash, and the ammeter & temp needles were a little out of shape. All freed up now Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:55 pm