VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Fuel Gauge Off

Fuel Gauge Off Empty Fuel Gauge Off

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Would anyone know why my fuel gauge reads just over half full after I top off the tank? Is this an easy fix?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel Gauge Off Empty Re: Fuel Gauge Off

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Could be a couple of things. The weird part of Dodge fuel and temperature gauges are that they are 6 volts and they use a current limiter to cut down the 12 volts so that the gauges will work. If that unit goes bad, the gauges will not read properly. But if you can remove the wire off the sending unit on the tank, you can take a test light and see if blinks when you test the wire going back to the dash. Another test is to unplug that wire and see if the gauge moves one way, then ground that wire and see if the gauge moves the other way. Basically you are testing the gauge and if it tests good, then the problem is the sending unit in the tank. Check and see if there is also a ground wire from the sending unit to ground.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:42 am

Check out this post as far as possible fuel guage problems

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-a-f16/gauge-problems-t1077.htm

I like to use an analog meter to check the voltage to the sending unit. Dodges should be 5 volts.

When you ground the wire to the sending unit, I would only do it breifly in fear of burning out the gauge.

The ohms from the sending unit should be around 11 ohms when full and 73 ohms when empty. At least that's what my new sending unit reads (i'll let you know latter on today if that's wrong). If you need a new one, let me know and I'll get you the info.

I found out my 43 year old sending unit was off by a 1/4 tank after I found the reason it didn't work at all was that it also missing the float...
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Got the tank put back in this evening and topped it off. The gauge reads a hair under full. I haven't gotten a grounding strap yet, so that could be throwing the gauge off a little.

If you do pull the tank, I would recommend changing out the old rubber hoses (I had a leak on the vent hose that connects to the filler assembly). You can make the 1 3/4" filler bend by using an 1 1/2" copper elbow. The vent hose is 1/2" and the pick-up hose is 5/16". Put a siphon/pump on the fuel pick-up to get the last of the gas out of the tank before you drop it.

The sock filter on the end of the pick-up may also be in very poor condition. Nate gave me the heads up on YearOne if you need the grounding strap, sock, float or gasket/ring. Don't buy the sending unit. It would probably need to be professionally modified.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=FD58862&SM=1&SC=&goBtn.x=19&goBtn.y=2

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks fellas. This has been some fantastic info! Hopefully I'll have time to start looking into it after the weekend (going to the Kruise auction and a family BBQ).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 am