VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Digz
wideload
6 posters

Pulley Problems

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Pulley Problems Empty Pulley Problems

Post by wideload Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of what is causing this to happen??? This is the second pulley that the 283 has eaten. The first appeared to be the stock one, which I could understand since it was probably 40 years old. However this one was a new J C Whitney with less than 500 miles on it.

Have I got anything missing?
    Should I replace the aluminum spacer between the pulley and fan?
    Would an aluminum pulley be more forgiving?

Pulley Problems 100_3513

Pulley Problems 100_3512

Pulley Problems 100_3511

Pulley Problems 100_3510

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Pulley Problems Empty Re: Pulley Problems

Post by Digz Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Are there any deformities on the crank pulley that might make a tight spot on the belt?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:37 pm

as long as the crank pulley is ok and the water pump shaft is good i would get a stock pulley, ditch that fan cause it may be bent and get another spacer. basicly start over but run a metal deep pitch fan.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Water pump bearing done? In pic of pump without pulley, looks like wet spot underneath...

What about proper spacing of alt (or any other pulleys)... Notice wear pattern on one side of belt would indicate that pulleys aren't in straight line. Wish the belt would have popped off first rather than chew up pulleys on you.

Also seems like mating surfaces between water pump, pulley and fan are a little chewed up. Might need to smooth those surfaces out for fitment and balance before you try a new pulley. Or replace fan... if it's out of balance, it will wreck any water pump with new bearings.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm

I vote for the water pump,,,,,They don't always press the new shaft onto the impeller correctly and it ends up making the pulley stick in or out and the belts pull on that pulley at an angle,,,,,I doubt the fan is so out of balance that it is flexing the pulley,,,,,,,is it the right pulley?????does it fit flat onto the water pump flange???? maybe compare it to one of your other van pulleys,,,,,,or switch them out,,,,I know the 6 cylinder pulleys come in 2 flavors,,,1 or 2 grooves ,,,,,,,and don't put a spacer between the waterpump and pulley,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Sounds like I need to go with all new from the block out. Everything in the pic's except for the trashed pulley came on the motor when I got the van. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the water pump but it wouldn't hurt to change it and not that expensive. Didn't have a spacer between the pump flange and the pulley(the piece leaning against the pulley in the pic is the center of the pulley) and the pulley was brand new for a small block chevy. I'll get a new fan and spacer like I'm running on my 67, haven't had any problems with that setup.

Anyone have a suggestion on a brand of pulley? The one from Whitney wasn't very heavy.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Then that cheap Chinese Chrome pulley could be the problem,,,our stock pulleys are heavy steel,,,,a lightweight one surely would not hold up with the belts tugging on it,,,,,,,that pulley is just doing too much flexing,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:13 pm

2nd on the stock one
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:28 am

Its a shame our aftermarket parts have all gone overseas.We don't know what we're gettin nowdays.I agree with replacing the water pump now,while your this far,instead of 2nd guessing 'when' it might go.The plain Jane stock pulley and fan is my preference,but to each his own.But like you said,that's the way it was when ya got it.Be glad you found your troubles when you did,instead of drivin.Might be in the market for a radiator too,or possibly a trip to the E R.I'll look in the 'spare box' if ya want me to.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks Moe! I'm going to check with my parts guy next week and see what he can get in the way of a pulley. Would rather put on a new one if I can get a stock replacement. Definitely going with a new fan and spacer. I checked the pump flange today and it is running true. No movement up or down, in or out. No leaks so I'm going to go ahead and run it. No unusual wear on the belt so I think the problem was like Don said, the cheap pulley.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Once the alternator starts charging, it gets really, really, hard to turn and that pulley acts like kind of an idler pulley between the alternator and crankshaft,,,,,,it probably turns into an oval shape until the alternator starts slowing down its output......
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Im going to chime in here one more time. Seeing as it has already eaten the first pulley I would take a closer look at the crank pulley. It wouldn't take much of a distortion in groove width to create a "high" spot causing for no better term a micro vibration that wouldnt be seen but could cause those kind of stress fractures over a period of time. The lower pulley is also tin ?? somebody may have used it as a place to jack up the engine or smacked it with a hammer to remove it .
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks Digz ! I'll make sure and check the crank pulley before I put anything back together.

Bill thanks for posting the link to the pulley on e-bay!

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Checked the crank pulley and there doesn't appear to be any problems there, couldn't see any wobble or abnormal rotation.

The pulley on e-bay is for an I6.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Finally got the parts and put it back together today. New waterpump , new pulley (Mr.Gasket double grove), and new fan spacer. We'll see how long this one last. Everything looks in line and can't see any wobble when it's running.

For some reason though the temp gauge will not register now. Was working the last time it was running and I didn't touch the gauge or the sending unit. Just changed the waterpump and bolted everything else back on and put the antifreeze back in. I'm getting flow through the radiator but the gauge never moved. Ran it for about 30 minutes, even drove down the road and back.

ONE STEP FORWARD TWO STEPS BACK !!!!!!!!

Anyone have any ideas or know of a way to check the temp gauge? It's a Sunpro with thermocouple type sending unit.

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:29 pm

just ground out the wire to the sending unit and see if it peggs the guage. that is if it is a 1 wire sender anyway. I know what ya mean by 1 step > 2 steps < think I cooked my alternator already , got it way early in the build , its only a 37 amp already cooked a diode,,lol, hope the pulley is cured for ya!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Could be air bound,,,,,loosen it up a little when the engine is warm and off,,,,,get a little coolant to drain out,,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Don , I'll try that tomorrow. I thought I had heard of that before but wasn't sure and didn't know what to do about it.

Digz sorry about you alt ! Have you got any idea of the cause? With all the wiring you've done that could be hard to find.

Did learn one useful thing during this time around. First new pulley I got was a single groove for a SB chevy with the short pump. It rubbed the crank pulley when I tried to install it(the crank pulley is a 2 groove). Took that one back and got the 2 groove for the same type engine and it's about 5/8" smaller diameter. Was checking the pulley sizes on Jeg's web site last night and noticed that the single groove crank pulleys are a smaller diameter than the 2 groove pulleys. Still haven't figured out why all the different diameters.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:25 am

took the 8 blade deep pitch the po put on, sounded like the space shuttle taking off, made a big noise diff and bonus torque and power.
    jeff
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 am

Got everything working with exception of a leak on the lower rad. hose. Going to pick a new one up today.Thanks for the help guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:10 pm