VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
64chevy
donivan65
6 posters

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror?

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Empty Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 pm

I found these on ebay the other night and thought that these might look pretty good on Ester. The 3x5 chevy truck mirrors that I have now are a cheap copy and dont stay where you adjust them, and there is no way to tighten the ball joint on them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180444668869&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Empty Re: Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror?

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Looks like those are some custom mirrors,,,,,,but after drilling a 5/8" hole in your door and then screwing the post in might cause it to vibrate too much going down the road to be any good. That would be my biggest concern.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Empty Re: Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror?

Post by 64chevy Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Get yourself a pair of Jr. West Coast mirrors. In these panel vans there's no substitute for being able to see to the sides and behind you. Especially with rear panel doors. One trip through LA convinced me.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:50 pm

mountainkowboy i've been looking at these for my a100, these are replacement mirrors for 60's-70's volkswagon vans-buses, if you will look at them you will see that there is another part that actually fits into the door panel to hold the mirror bracket on. i agree with donivan that it will probably vibrate off. i don't know if you can buy the door fitting , maybe at a vw dealer. but they do look cool.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 pm

They do look like they would look cool. Could make a plate with a nut backer and spot weld it to the inside of the door. Then use loctite on the threads.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm

There is a brace for the mirrors on the inside of the door. But its like a cheap mirror on a bike or cycle,,,theres a whole lot of shakin going on,,,,you see 3 of everything,,,,But its only money,,,,,,sure will look good sitting on there at least.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Those are VW Bus/Transporter mirrors. They have a reinforcement and receiver (really just a nut) welded into the door and a hole to allow install/adjustment. Really they don't shake even on a shaky bus. The cheap plastic Mexican/Brazilian knock offs shake alot. Would seem like a hastle to install with drilling and welding and all. Probably better options.

Just my 2 cents, Mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:05 pm

The Chevy Van doors are big and heavy and a solid axle aint helping any. You often see the cracks around the hinges, vent glass and latch assembly. They beat the heck out of the hinge bushings. So you just might need a big mirror that has a big base or braces to keep it steady. But I guess there is no easy answer for this,,,,, or as Clint says,,,"Do you feel lucky,,,,,,"
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:46 am

Hey Kowboy,
    I have been watching those ( different seller)for about a month now.Like you I think they would look great but could not figure a way to mount without a lot of work. If you figure it out let me know.

mike
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:00 am

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Vw_mir10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:27 am

Clint just said, what if those are not standard threads and there is no nut for them and you really need the stock backing plate for the mirror to mount correctly,,,,,,,,
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by wdaguy Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:10 pm

I am 99% sure those are VW. Which could work?? I had real good luck with 69 Chevy p/u mirrors and bend the rod into a curve,, Cheaper too!
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 pm

when the rain lets up i'm going to pull-a-part at look at the vw vans and see if they have these style mirrors and see if i can get the fittings that go into the door, maybe then the will work.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:00 pm

They are listed for 1971 VW Campmobile,,,,,but I guess I can also check the Pick a Parts out here and see if there are ANY or NONE sitting out in the yards,,,,,,
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 pm

The more I look at donivans mirrors and with the price they seem to be getting for original one that might be the way I go. They are easy to get and you can actually see whats behind you.

mike
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:50 am

If you mean these mirrors,,,,,I added another aluminum plate between the door panel and cross brace to reinforce it. Also, I did not like the plastic license plate mounting type press in nuts so I used nuts and bolts instead. And that plastic gasket cuts down on vibration. I think Autozone has these.

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Repair13

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Repair16

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Repair15
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 pm

I went and found a VW van with that mirror set up on it,,,,,the mirror unscrews in about 1 turn, so someone can EASILY steal it,,,,,that nut kind of looks like it is part of the door,,,,,I couldnt even see it behind the window regulator,,,,,,so buying a replacement looks way easier than trying to take it off an old van,,,,,,

Are These a "Factory" Style Mirror? Repair17
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:23 pm

i took off those cheap chrome west coast mirrors i purchased at the local auto parts store about a year ago couldn't keep up with the rust, guess i should have clear coated them, of course my 63 olds f85 still has original mirror an no rust so i thought, well anyways need to find a newer set of mirrors maybe the vw mirrors but will keep looking for something cool and pratical

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:28 am