VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

roof rail question

roof rail question Empty roof rail question

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Today I've started to handle some rust issues on my 63 econoline van. One of the former owners has tried to repair the roof rail (I think this is the english word for it) by welding on some pieces and filling everything up with silicone sealant. After years in the sun, the sealant has dried out and water is getting stuck under this sealant, some parts of the roofrail are rusted trough, on two spots it has also rusted through the side of the roof. I've just spend a couple of hours peeling out the old sealant, now I just have to clean it up and try to weld the holes.

roof rail question 100_0510

One of the former owners has also installed some kind of roof rack, existing of two pipes on the roof. Does anybody have an idea why they have installed it this way? I can only imagine they've used it for mounting stuff on the roof.

roof rail question 100_0511

you can also see the rail on this picture.

roof rail question Surfbu10

And last, but not least, a final question about the sunroof. There is a sunroof mounted on the car, this roof is just to high for me to easily park the car in my garage. I always have to make sure there is some dead weight in the back of the van to drop the rear of the van to get enough clearance. I also think this roof is installed in a bad way, it's simply screwed in and then made waterproof with some sealant.

roof rail question 100_0512

I'm thinking of welding the gap, but I'd really like to mount a flat sunroof. Does anybody know where i can get one of these. Or is it easy to modify an exising roof from another (modern) car.

I hope you can catch the drift of my story, my english isn't perfect so...... anyways thanks for checking it out, I hope to get some reactions.

Greetings from Holland, Ron.

roof rail question Empty Re: roof rail question

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm

That is an air vent not a sunroof.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12234
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:24 pm

My Van won't fit in my garage with that roof vent on it ,so I took the cover off and made a flat cover for it,,,,,maybe that will get you the clearance that you need or you got to remove it and weld a plate in its place. That roof rack looks like they used it to tie something down like a luggage bag or an inflatable boat. The roof rails need a product called seam sealer,,,it dries pretty hard and REALLY STICKS,,,,and you got to weld in as many pieces of metal as necessary if you want to save that van. Nothing else will last,,,,rust will pop back up forever,,,,,,,,
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 am

Looks like theres only 1 of the roof rack things so it was probably used to attatch a tarp or an awning over the doors.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:10 am

Then again,I think I see the other one now so maybe not?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:59 am

Looks like a bit of a bodge to me. As already suggested above, i would guess some sort of boat was attached to the roof, as you couldn't attach something flat between those rails... Also, they are awfully close to the roof as well.

I would remove those and if required, do something a little bit neater....

Sy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:30 am

Here is a little closer look on what is going on with your drip rails,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-a-f16/i-was-wunduring-t8936.htm

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Okay it's called a roof vent and drip rails. I just couldn't find the right words for it.

I figured the roof racks were meant to tie something down, I just found it a weird construction (and ugly). Especially because they are mounted so close to the roof.

Anyways, I'm gonna remove the roof racks, and will trie to cut out as much of the rotten drip rails as I can. First I'm gonna trie to fabricate new pieces of drip rails, unfortunately the worst spots are in the corners, so that won't be easy.
    Hope I can find the purple power and seam sealer stuff here in europe.

The topic about the drip rails was very interesting, I was already wondering how that was constructed. When I was removing the sealant, I saw an edge inside the drip rails. That turns out to be the edge of the roof.

For the roof vent I will go and see if I can find a lower one, maybe from a boat or something. I hoped there were some kind of small sunroofs available to replace the roof vent.

Again thanks for the responses, and keep the advice coming.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7902
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 pm

garageinc.
    That rail looks like an "Awning" mounting tube. Is there one on the other side?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

roof rail question Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Hey Danthevanman,

Yes the rail is mounted on both sides of the van. What is an awning mounting tube???
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7902
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 pm

In the 60's we had a camper. It had a tube bracket that same size. My dad had a canvas awning that rolled up and stored in the camper. It had two holes in the outer corners for the pole and tie-down ropes and the other end was four flat hook shaped brackets that attached to the tube. It made a little shade awning and you could move it to either side of the camper.

Something like this....

roof rail question A790510

roof rail question Dodgeb10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

roof rail question Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:34 pm

i have the same drip rail problem as garage inc have tried spot putty after clean up and using some rust inhibitor but not happy with it, it also had been sealed with chalking by previous owner so i am still digging and sanding it all out. but will look for seam sealer, does anyone know the brand name and who carries it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 pm

The stuff I used came from Napa. It fits in a caulking gun. It really STICKS ,,,,to everything,,,,I used some rubber gloves and dipped my finger in lacquer thinner to smooth it out and make it look pretty. But I guess any Auto Body paint supply shop has some kind of Seam Sealer......

roof rail question Seam_s10
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

thanks donivan i 'll make a trip up town and get a couple tubes, i never think of napa as we are surrounded by pep boys, advance, o'rielly and autozones...
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm

wow thats stuff is expensive at napa 25.00 a tube, bought four tubes on ebay for 25. including shipping only difference is its beige instead of clear and tubes are cut short.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 pm

roof rail question Seam_s11

Post by Guest Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:41 pm

You should really use a urethane based seam sealer on the gutter. Standard seam sealer is meant to fill gaps no bigger than 1/8" and could shrink over time forming cracks.

I used a Proform product... http://www.proformproducts.com/en/products/detail/?id=81
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 pm

That's some good advice,,,,,those gutters are really important,,,you don't want water to get in there or cracking your paint job,,,,,so get the best stuff you can afford,,,,,I think I would buy a pack of those Napa drip rail tips to screw on a tube of sealer to lay down a nice bead of sealant instead of fighting to get it to look good after you apply it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:15 pm