VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Radiator Cap ?

Radiator Cap ? Empty Radiator Cap ?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Today, I replaced both of the radiator hose's on my 1969 Chevy G-10. I started thinking that I should replace the cap also and was wondering does it matter what kind? I looked at the one that is on now and it is a Ford 16 lbs. cap. Go figure. Anyhow any body out here have a suggestion.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Radiator Cap ? Empty Re: Radiator Cap ?

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:43 pm

16 lbs is 16 lbs,,,,,,,,keep that doghouse closed to hide that Ford name,,,,,,but if you have a coolant bottle on it, make sure you get a pressure /vacuum type cap.......

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:07 pm

So 16lbs would be the correct cap? I do have a coolant bottle but its an Absolut Vodka bottle, so Im guessing that I dont need a pressure/vacuum type?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm

If you have a hose that goes into a bottle, that is a coolant recovery system. When the coolant gets hot, it expands and pukes out of the radiator, either on the ground or into a bottle,,,,,when the coolant cools, it retracts, and if you have a pressure/vacuum cap on it, it pulls the coolant out of the bottle and back into the radiator. I think most caps are are pressure/vacuum now anyways,,,,,they have a piece of metal on the bottom. about the size of a dime that sits above the coolant that shuts off the port in the cap when it is hot,,,opens when it is cold,,,,,,,,some caps have a lever on them to relieve the pressure when the coolant is hot, but who wants to open a hot radiator anyways?????

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I have seen caps that have a higher number lbs. I just dont want to put to much presure under the cap. My thinking is that if it is to high of a presure it would cause seals and or hoses to leak.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Radiator Cap ? Empty Although most old American manufacturers...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:24 pm

use similar caps, I think almost all aftermarket caps were Stants, there used to be a wide variety of pressures available. Usually from about 2.5 lbs/sq/in to about 16. Frankly, I never use a full pressure cap. Great on new vehicles yet not so great on the oldies, IMHO. I've never had a catostrophic engine coolant failure with a 2.5# cap. Hoses and pumps will still leak but slow and usually without rupture. Sure, I lose a little coolant here and there yet never get broke down on the road either. Harder to get the low pressure ones in my area as the big box stores have knocked out the smaller part suppliers--probably still available at speed shops for bigger bucks. Would rather add cooling capacity than risk.

My 2 cents, happy motoring, Mark
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I thought that I read somewhere that a higher pressure cap increases the boiling point of the coolant?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/61718_cooling_systems/index.html
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 pm

These Vans need all the help they can get,,,,,,The engine runs at 500 degrees,,,,,,and the pistons aint going to take too much of that,,,,You add water to the radiator to bring that temperature down,,,,but water turns to steam at 212 degrees,,,that aint going keep anything cool for more than a few minutes,,,,,add 50/50 coolant,,,,that raises the boiling point to 222 degrees,,,,still not good enough,,,,,last hope a radiator cap,,,,,each pound raises it 3 degrees,,,,,a 16 pounder makes the radiator good for up to 270 degrees,,,,,thats on a good normal cooling systems,,,which the vans dont have,,,,,,so the best we can do is more rows of tubes,,,,,a shroud,,,,and more air flow,,,,,a tunnel,,,,scoop or electric fan or all of them,,,,,,In the vans if you aint moving, you aint cooling,,,,,and it depends on the weather and terrain you are driving in,,,,,,and if you are really doing some driving, not just around the block,,,,,,you need really good systems in Phoenix,,,Los Angeles and the Desert Areas,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm

If I only could figure out how to slip this 2nd Gen cooling system into my 1st Gen, I would be cool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Radiator Cap ? Repair85

Radiator Cap ? Repair86

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am