VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Monojet Carb Help

Monojet Carb Help Empty Monojet Carb Help

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I have a rebuilt Monojet on the Handi, but up here on the mountain I run REAL rich and foul plugs all the time. It seems to run good down the hill but still smell a bit rich. What I'd really like to do in change the main jet and needle down one from the standard 45 thats in there.

Does anyone know where I can get jets and needles for a Monojet? I havent had much luck.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Monojet Carb Help Empty Re: Monojet Carb Help

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 am

So what engine is in there,,,,,,,,MonoJets came in 1967 for 250 cu in engines,,,,,,,rebuilt???? did it do that before?,,,,,,,,runs rich at idle? ,,,,,
    I don't trust old floats,,,,,they absorb gas and raise the fuel level even though you set it right,,,,,,maybe lower the float level a little or the metering rod setting and see if you can make it better,,,,,can you see a puddle of gas down in the intake after you shut it down?,,,,,, I like the way that carb top comes right off to work on it without having to take it off the engine.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:35 pm

Its a 250 in her and I bought the carb off of ebay. It was a factory reman unit. I dont know if it always did it since the origanal Monojet that was on it had a BAD fuel leak and I did not run it much. Its not the float, it takes is a couple of days to foul the plugs and if I go down to the flatland it has no issues at all. I was hoping to drop 1 mainjet/needle size to see if it leans it up enough to not foul the plugs up here and still run ok down the hill.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Monojet Carb Help Empty monojet carb

Post by Space Truckin Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:34 pm

you might try dave lang at fuel curve west in upland 909 920 3779 , he is carb god Very Happy

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Space Truckin wrote:you might try dave lang at fuel curve west in upland 909 920 3779 , he is carb god Monojet Carb Help Icon_biggrin

Thanks I'll give him a try.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:18 pm

The van has to work harder up in the hills, so if the plugs are not getting oil fouled, maybe you are running out of spark,,,,,the centrifugal and vacuum advances need to be working,,,,,,points adjusted,,,,,better still,,,,,get rid rid of points, put a HEI in there,,,,,hotter spark,,,,,,,bigger gap,,,,,,,,and put the hottest heat range spark plugs in there,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Working on a HEI dist, and the fuel foul, it does run a bit rich down the hill too.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:05 pm

I think the root of all evil in a Monojet is the plastic float,,,,,,I think if you slapped in a brass one and maybe a $4 needle and seat from Napa,,,,,,you might cure your problem,,,,,,,,,

Monojet Carb Help Monoje10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 am

The metering rod adjustment should be .070 above the bowl with the throttleplate fully closed,,,,,maybe lower that float level from 1/4" to 5/16" and see if the van runs better,,,,,,,

Monojet Carb Help Repair78

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 am

I;ll have to play with it next weekend, I have to get the Scout up to snuff first cause winter is comin.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:20 am

I know what you mean,,,,,,got to find a long sleeve shirt,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 pm

donivan65 wrote:The van has to work harder up in the hills, so if the plugs are not getting oil fouled, maybe you are running out of spark,,,,,the centrifugal and vacuum advances need to be working,,,,,,points adjusted,,,,,better still,,,,,get rid rid of points, put a HEI in there,,,,,hotter spark,,,,,,,bigger gap,,,,,,,,and put the hottest heat range spark plugs in there,,,,,,

Was gunna take the van to work on Monday........28*, but it wouldnt start, and hasnt all week. So today I put in my brand new HEI dizzy, after a little playing it fired right off. Runs like a dream now, still have a "over fuel" issue, but I think my float is adjusted wrong. I need to pick up a gasket set and tear into it, but Ester runs ALOT better now.

???? How much advance can I run. I'm gunna keep a wrench with me and play with my advance to see if I can get her just below ping at WOT.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:33 am

Well,,,,,lets see,,,,,,let me start out with the complicated answer,,,,,you got 3 advances in that distributor,,,,,,turning it is for the base timing,,,,,like 6 BTDC so that the starter will crank easy and not be bucking against the timing,,,,,,,and thats good timing for idleing,,,,,,But then theres that nasty pinging,,,,,,that is controlled by the weights and springs and vacuum advance unit. And you don't even know what advance curve is in that HEI unit. There are hot rod kits for changing your advance curve,,,,,,,I surely like the idea of cranking up the advance going down the road. The easy way is dialing it in by turning the distributor,,,,,like highest vacuum reading or listening to the starter when you crank it,,,,if the starter slows down,,,,too much advance......I think there is a lot of noise if you are listening for pinging. So does your engine have a HEI cylinder head ? And that would mean it has the small 5/8" peanut spark plugs that can be set for .060 gap to take full advantage of all that High Energy. You are making things good,,,, and lets see if it can get better and finally best.......

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:35 am

Yup, late model 250 wih the little plugs. I'm at around 6-8 BTDC, havent put vacume guage to it yet, and I have no idea as to what weights and springs are in there. I need to pull the plugs and clean and regap................but it starts now!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:14 am

Then you are in GOOD shape,,,,,,as for the pinging,,,,different gas brands, blends, octanes,,,,,your altitude,,,,,probably affect when and how much it will ping. (I don't have too much faith in AmPm Arco gas)
    So you can dial in your van if you want. With that HEI, it sure is a good idea to go to a wrecking yard and FIND a couple of control units and rotors to keep as spares because those will probably be the things that may go bad,,,,,and get some of those wire connectors that snap into the cap those clips break and the wires fall out of the cap over time. A spare distributor is really good to get,,,,either for you or another vehicle that breaks down. Did you remember to bypass the 6 volt ballast resistor and add a new , like 12 gauge, wire to power up that distributor?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 am

donivan65 wrote:Then you are in GOOD shape,,,,,,as for the pinging,,,,different gas brands, blends, octanes,,,,,your altitude,,,,,probably affect when and how much it will ping. (I don't have too much faith in AmPm Arco gas)
    So you can dial in your van if you want. With that HEI, it sure is a good idea to go to a wrecking yard and FIND a couple of control units and rotors to keep as spares because those will probably be the things that may go bad,,,,,and get some of those wire connectors that snap into the cap those clips break and the wires fall out of the cap over time. A spare distributor is really good to get,,,,either for you or another vehicle that breaks down. Did you remember to bypass the 6 volt ballast resistor and add a new , like 12 gauge, wire to power up that distributor?

The PO installed a newer coil with the resistor built in, so the wiring was a snap. I HATE AM/PM gas!!!! I use 76, Mobil, or Chevron.....american owned, and good fuel IMO. I use regular right now, but will try different grades to see if it makes much of a difference.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:45 pm