VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch

primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch Empty Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch

Post by primaldesigns Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:57 am

I bought the entire ignition switch, bezel and switch cylinder from MAC's Auto parts about 6 months ago. The van has been runnign and starting great. The other day I took a 10 mile round trip around town. As I pulled into my driveway, the wires attached to the ignition began to smoke and burn. I immediately turned off the ignition and the wires stopped burning. I let it sit for a few minutes and attempted to start the van again. The wires began to smoke and burn again!! I turned off the ignition and disconnected the battery to play it safe.
    Could it be that the ignition is faulty and need a new one? If so, do I only need the igintion switch part or do I also need a new ignition switch cylinder with keys?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch Empty Re: Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 am

The key cylinder should be removable from the switch housing,,,,,,,and it looks like you got a short in the wire that runs from the ignition switch down to the positive side of the coil. So its probably touching metal,,,,,trace the wire back starting at the coil,,,,,,see if it is touching anything on the engine or doghouse,,or along the floor and dash,,,,,,,,you got a ballast resistor in that wire also,,,,,,just check that wire on the positive side of the coil,,,,,,unhook it,,,,see if you still got smoke,,,,,,,you might be able to see something that aint right,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch Empty Re: Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 pm

And,,,,,,if you ever need to remove the key cylinder from the switch, put the key in, jiggle a wire or paperclip in the hole next to the key while turning the key counterclockwise, it should turn a little and the cylinder pops out. You just put it back in and turn it to ON and it locks back in place. Sometimes the Bezel on the switch needs to be removed to get the cylinder out.

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch Repair74
    primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Post by primaldesigns Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Donivan,
    Looks like you were right. One of the ignition wires was touching the dashboard mounting bracket and was shorting out. I bought a new ignition and cylinder just to play it safe. I am also going to rewire the entire van so that I don't have anymore suprises.
    Thanks for your help!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 pm

,,,and I am surprised that the 40 year old wiring has not burned up the truck,,,,,YET.
    But what everybody needs is to install Fusible Links on their Positive Battery Cable feeds to protect the wiring from going up in smoke when something shorts out. And a Fusible link needs to be 4 gauges larger than the wire it protects,,,,,(a 12 gauge wire needs a 16 gauge Fusible Link) The fusible link melts if excessive current flows through it BEFORE the smoke begins.

Need Help!! Smoking Ignition Switch Fuslin11
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:44 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,and I am surprised that the 40 year old wiring has not burned up the truck,,,,,YET.
    But what everybody needs is to install Fusible Links on their Positive Battery Cable feeds to protect the wiring from going up in smoke when something shorts out. And a Fusible link needs to be 4 gauges larger than the wire it protects,,,,,(a 12 gauge wire needs a 16 gauge Fusible Link) The fusible link melts if excessive current flows through it BEFORE the smoke begins.

I thought the smaller the number the larger the wire scratch So by what your saying 4 gauges larger than what it protect wouldn't that mean a 16 gauge wire would need a 12 gauge fusible link? Or is the fusible link a smaller wire than what is protects... Just a little confused by the wording here...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:11 pm

I know it seems backwards, but you do need to add 4 to whatever gauge wire you want to protect to figure out what size Fusible link to use,,,,,,,,,,(I guess the guage readings are not the same for wire and Fusible Links)
    primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Post by primaldesigns Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Well I got my van back from being re-wired and now it runs terrible. It sputters and feels under powered when you drive it. But once it has warmed up for about 15-20 minutes, it seems to run better.
    I changed the points and condensor thinking this may be the problem from the ignition short/fire that I had. But it still seems to be doing the same thing.
    Before the ignition problem, the van was running great.
    Any ideas on what could be causing this, maybe the coil?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 pm

So what was rewired? Do you have an electric choke? see what the voltage is at the positive side of the coil,,,,what is the Dwell reading of the points,,,,,,check the breaker plate to see if it is not losing its ground,,,,,maybe run the van with the vacuum advance unplugged and see if it gets better,,,,,
    primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Post by primaldesigns Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Donivan,
    The rewiring consisted of the ignition, new fuse panel and wired all the lights and added back up lights. They did not touch any of the wiring on the engine. That is why I thought that the short circuited ignition might have fried the points and condensor. The van was running fine until the igintion short.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Well,,,,you got to start all over again,,,,,you need the correct spark and fuel,,,,,,,like there is a lot more to points than meets the eye,,,,,,,it needs a good condenser,,,,that breaker plate pivot needs to be tight to ground the points,,,,,,the distributor bushing needs to be tight to open the points,,,,the centrifugal ans vacuum advance need to be working to advance the timing,,,,,the points and timing are related,,,,,for every .001 the points setting change, the timing changes 1 degree,,,,,,so you ALWAYS adjust the timing AFTER you adjust the POINTS,,,,,,how old is the fuel filter,,,,all these things will cut down your power,,,,,,,it could be anything,,,,,dirt in the carb,,,,,if you are sure you got the points set right, check the timing and the advances,,,,,,,the more equipment you use to run tests on everything, the better chance you have in finding the problem,,,,,,,
    primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Post by primaldesigns Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Donivan,
    I went to AutoZone and bought a new coil. I replace the old coil and now the van runs great like it used to before the ignition short!
    So I guess new points, condensor and coil was the trick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:33 pm