VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Empty Ever wonder whats inside one of these things?

Post by Scott Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 pm

2nd Gen. Brake Junction Block / Pressure Differential Switch

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Distri12
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Empty Re: Ever wonder whats inside one of these things?

Post by Scott Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Neutral Safety Switch / Backing Lamp Switch

Used on the G10 / G15 / G25 Model Vans with Automatic (Powerglide) Transmissions effective 1966.

GM Part #: 1993359

I took mine apart trying to repair the loose pivot arm on the outside. Seems that this was a problem for one of the previous owners too since someone tried to repair it with a big glob of solder in the past. I removed the solder and figured I would just pop that pivot arm off. Once it was off I knew I could clean it all up and find a solid way of reattaching the arm.

Here it is in pieces, not much to it..
    Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Img_1110

Here is the wire harness flipped both ways, just so you can see whats on both sides, and how four wires equal five contacts.
    Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Img_1111

One purple wire is coming from the ignition, making sure the transmission is in park or neutral. If it is, then the power travels out the other purple wire to the starter. Power is only traveling through the purple wires when attempting to turn over the engine.

The green wires are active when the transmission is in reverse, they cause the backup lights to activate.

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Img_1112

I was wrong about being able to put it back together, the brass end broke off when I tried to remove the pivot bracket. My first thought was to somehow attach my own shaft onto the pivot thing inside. It turns out the brass shaft is implanted in Bake Lite or something. The more I dug the more that broke. I'm hoping these pictures will help someone else that decides to take it apart.

This last image is of the replacement one I bought from a guy on Craigslist. I learned real quick that these are nearly impossible to find. As best as I can tell these were only used on our vans that had factory installed PowerGlides in them from 1966 to 1970. Pretty small window huh? The guy had three, and I bought all of them. They are all New Old Stock too. Once I test them to make sure they are working right I will probably be posting the two extra on eBay. The guy selling them didn't know what they went to.
    Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Img_1113
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Ever wonder whats inside one of these things? Empty Re: Ever wonder whats inside one of these things?

Post by BvrWally Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 am

Let me know what you need for one, and I'll send the funds off to you, as I really need to re-install one on my Early as well!
    B.W.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 11:39 pm