VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
itruns
donivan65
Scott
7 posters

Hard brakes.......!

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty rod adjust

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah I'd love to know whats immediately up with the brake system, I drove it a bit and it was fine maybe a little hard on the brakes but the fella who I'm buying it from said, when it gets hot the pedal gets harder and harder, until its hard enough that you can tell the brakes are dragging a bit.

He said you let the van sit overnight and the pedal is fine, but drive it again until hot and then the pedal gets hard again.

I know the brake system is up to snuff enough to allow for daily driving, this dude who had it is an old car dude, I know he wouldn't drive it every day to work if he thought it was sketchy, but I've got to drive the car 30 miles to my house before I do all major brake checkups/work so if I can adjust out the hard pedal before my trip, well, that would be nice!!

thanks!

mark in Portland
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard brakes.......!

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Ok,,,,,so are you saying the brake pedal acts like it won't go down after driving it awhile? lets see,,,,here is that push rod,,,,turning the BOLT moves that pushrod in and out,,,,,see that the pushrod is a little loose and not pushing on the piston in the master cylinder,,,,,check the brake lines and see if they are near the exhaust system,,,,,check and see if there is a return spring from the brake pedal to behind the grille,,,,maybe someone mixed up the primary and secondary brake shoes and one side is dragging,,,,,

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 1_line10
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:25 pm

abracadabra wrote:If I need two of the brake hoses for the front and one for the rear, .........
    NOPE............
    You need two for the front & 2 for the back.
    ALWAYS replace in pairs.....ALWAYS

BTW-->
    I've developed "HARD BRAKES"...........it's the flexable hoses up front..........be replacing them this weekend.

My wrinkle was they are hard when cold and "soften" as they get used.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 pm

There is only 1 hose in the rear from the brake line to the rear end "T".

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Spare10

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty lines

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 am

Donivan-

So, let me get this straight. The diagram you listed earlier on w/ NAPA parts #s for the lines....what is the other 60" piece used for? And you only have shown one "T" which says re-use old T, are there two T's currently in the system or one? It seems to make sense that there would be a "T" up front and a "T" for the back.

And as for the rubber hose, does this upgrade do away with the hose or do I still need the hose??

thanks for all the help, gonna get the van home this week and start working! Then the real fun begins!

mark in Portland
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:56 am

Ok,,,,1st of all the 1st Gen is kind of like 1 continuous brake line from the master cylinder,,,,comes out,,,hits a "T" ,,,,,turns left to the LF wheel,,,,,,turns right to another "T",,,,,,,turns right to the RF wheel,,,,,turns left all the way back to the rubber hose above the rear end where it drops down into another "T" which shoot the 2 metal lines out of it to the LR and RR wheels. It will get a lot clearer when you see it in action. So lets steal Scotts hard work here and translate it into a 1st Gen situation,,,,,,as for those 60 inchers,,,,check the picture,,,,RF gets one,,,,2 of them get connected together to go all the way back to that rubber hose,,,,,,and you still need 2 front and 1 rear hose to DO THE JOB RIGHT,,,,so you will have no weak links in your system,,,,,,,,

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Linz10

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty oh yeah!

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am

Donivan-

That really clears things up! Totally makes sense now!

thanks

mark

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty Just a few more things though::

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Just a few thoughts as I ponder this process:

do I need a flare wrench or any other special tools?
    I've read that I need to bench bleed the MC, so does that mean I install the sucker full of fluid? Wouldn't it just leak out?
    Sorry if some of these questions are pretty basic but I've never messed with brakes like this!!

thanks!

mark in Portland
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 pm

I just went looking for that brake diagram so I could make the changes you made.

Looks like I deleted it by mistake.. Mad
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:16 pm

So how much is it worth to you to have it back, SCOTT?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Well,,,,back to business,,,,,everyone has to do brakes, sooner or later, so brake questions never end. When you get a master cylinder, it should come with these fittings that have hoses on them,,,,,or buy some,,,,,put the master cylinder on,,,,,,put the fittings on,,,,,run the hose back up into the master cylinder,,,,add fluid,,,,,pump the brake until no bubbles show in the clear plastic hoses,,,,just recirculate the fluid so no air is trapped in the master cylinder,,,,easy and fast,,,,then hook up the real lines to it,,,,so probably, put the whole system in, no brake fluid,,,,unscrew both lines on the master cylinder,,,,,do the recirc thing,,,,,hook up the new lines again while it drips on you a little,,,then start the bleeding process at the LR wheel by having the brake fluid in the master cylinder start chasing all the bad air out through the wheel cylinders. Tubing Wrench,,,,well you are asking for trouble by using a crescent wrench,,,,vice grips will make it look ugly,,,,,use an open end with Vice grips adding some tension to it and you probably will get those lines tight enough to not leak,,,,or buy the right tool,,,,a tubing wrench,,,,

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Repair58

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Repair59
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

donivan65 wrote:So how much is it worth to you to have it back, SCOTT?

It's the raw OmniGraffle file I'm missing.. Sad

I'm slowly putting a wire diagram together in it now, after that I may put together the brake ones again. This time create one using the info you listed above.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 pm

I don't even know what a raw OmniGraffle is,,,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 am

Didn't you make a trailer out of a raw(rusted out) Omni Don Laughing
    crazee

Post by crazee Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm

donivan65 wrote:There is only 1 hose in the rear from the brake line to the rear end "T".

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Spare10

YEA.........DUH!.... ... I really did know that Don.

Having a "70's moment" and was thinking about the emergency brake cables hanging off each rear wheel.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm

You probably were caught up in the rear disk conversions,,,,they need 2 brake hoses to connect the line to each rear caliper because we sure don't talk about drum brakes much anymore,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:01 pm

savage wrote:Didn't you make a trailer out of a raw(rusted out) Omni Don Laughing

So you are picking on my tow dolly that I made from the hub and stub axles from a Dodge Omni???? It sure was nice to tow a car to Chicago and take it apart and put it in the back of my van and not have to drag it back 2500 miles,,,,,and it converts over to my cycle hauler too,,,,,,

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Traile10

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Traile11

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Pictur17
    crazee

Post by crazee Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm

donivan65 wrote:You probably were caught up in the rear disk conversions,,,,they need 2 brake hoses to connect the line to each rear caliper because we sure don't talk about drum brakes much anymore,,,,,,

ha ha......
    I'll be talking drums for a long time.

I'm too cheap to go disks. lol!

But I'm available for donations. Smile

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty update!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm

So the hard brake pedal:

When I picked the van up the fella said when the pedal gets hard he gets under the van, cracks the main line outta the MC, lets some fluid out, then the pedal is fine for a few days. He said he just did it before I came over, so I've been driving the van no problems.

Today, I get in the van, brake pedal is hard as a rock. No free play at all. So I get under the van, crack the line, let some fluid out, you could hear the system loosen up! I didn't have to let much out, I checked the pedal, there was maybe 1/2" to 3/4" free play. Drove to the store and back, no problem.

So what the heck is causing this? I'm gonna replace the old MC with a dual one, and the lines with it, but until that happens I'm gonna drive this thing like a grandma around town so I'd love to know what causes this!!

mark in Portland
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Mark

You probobly do not need a new master. What is going on most likely is the brake pedal linkage adjustm,ent is too tight or the assistance spring the goes from the bottom of the pedal to the front body pannel is not there to lift the wieght of the pedal off the the master piston. or the piston canot return because of dirt or rust.

What is actually going on is the master cylinder piston is not being alowed to return all the way back to the circlip. So the cheveron type seal is not uncovering the hole that alows the brake fruid to return to the reseviour.

I bet you if get in your van right now and pump the brake pedal it will get harder and harder until its solid. See if pulling up on the pedal with your hand makes it relaease the built up preasure.

That you say there is absolutly no free play whenit gets solid tells me it is most likely an adjustment issuse. (if there actually is a little free play, thats means something different) At the bottom of the brake pedal the bolt that ataches the push rod is actually a cam bolt. lossen it off and rotate it so there is just a little free play when the system is at rest. then hold the cam bolt steady and tighten the nut to hold it there. Make sure there is a spring going from the very botton of the brake pedal arm to some where forward on the body pannel behind the fron bumper.

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Dscn0410

In this picture just at the 08 in the date you can see the nut on the cam bolt and below the 08 you can see the cast eyelet at the bottom of the brake pedal arm with what looks like a piece of wire going forward, thats not a wire it is the end of the spring.
    M1D

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty work

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Today I did a little messing around with the brake system.

The pedal was hard again, no free play. I loosened the cam nut and made the adjustment, seemed to help, we'll see.

Then I lifted the rear wheel off the ground. Wanted to see about dragging shoes, as well wanted to see what if anything the E-brake was doing.

I found that I could hear a little dragging no matter how loose E-brake cable was. Actually, it turns out the E-brake cable was really stretched out so I made a knot......I tightened up enough that when I pull the handle hard it braked the wheel, when I released it the wheel had the same amount of drag it had to begin with.

I did this because I NEED to have a functioning E-brake with this single MC business.

I couldn't see about moving the adjusting stars because....where the heck are they?

And now that I've loosened the cam nut and therefore the pedal, why are the shoes still dragging? I've proven its not the Ebrake by my earlier testing.

Didn't have enough time today to get in to removing wheels/drums etc. That's next. See whats up.

Oh, and how the heck to you get the spring that holds the MC top on out of the way to get the lid off?? On my van there's not enough room to get the spring all the way back, it hits some hard line that won't move, I can get it off halfway but I don't want to force it off because I know it will be a real pain to get on then......!!

mark in Portland

PS The test drive went well, the pedal feels better. Stops solidly. Oh, and the radiator was low on water, when I looked in I couldn't see any!! I added maybe a quart..........seems to run cooler........
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 pm

You might get some room for the master cylinder cap retainer to move a little more by shifting gears,,,,,the shift rods could be hitting it,,,,or push the spring forward or back,,,,,get it out of the way the best you can,,,,,,you still might have to slide the cap out from under the spring
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:39 pm

TAKE A BRAKE! First you need to see what condition your brakes are in . How much lining is still on the shoes,,,,is it cracked? Are the wheel cylinders leaking? Are all the pieces in there? Then you adjust the brakes.

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Adj_br10

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Adj_br11

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Adj_br12

Hard brakes.......! - Page 2 Empty oh, more hardness!

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 am

Well until I get around to doing all the lines/etc I use this van once in a while to putz around town.

Last thing I did was adjust the free play at the brake pedal, gave it some room. Now after I did that I drove the van for an evening, then let it sit for a few days.

So yesterday I go to get in the van, HARD pedal again! Totally stiff, no free play. Had to get under the thing and let a little fluid out, then the system eased up and I could drive.

Now it seems this hardening has not as much to do with driving the van, but with time. Like I said I only drove it for a little the other night and then parked it.

Whats up with this, any ideas?

mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Now what do you mean by a hard pedal,,,,,there is a grease fitting on the pedal shaft to keep it lubed,,,,,there is a big rubber washer that keeps the pedal arm from hitting the bottom of the floor. So normally the pedal has about an inch or two movement and now you say it does not move at all? And when it is hard,,,,,are all the wheels locked up??? Jack it up, spin the wheels is it 1 or all wheels that have the brakes dragging,,,,,,and do you just bleed the same old wheel cylinder everytime to fix it. You ought to just throw another master cylinder on it to get it out of the way,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:20 pm