VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus

Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus Empty Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Now that I have fixed the door lock mechanism, (thanks to the feedback of some of you on this forum), I thought I would bring up my next small repair: Replacing the fuel pump.

It's time for the old one to go and I have a new one and understand what my repair manual says to replace it, but before I get into it I have a few questions:

1. Is is easier to replace the pump by going in from the top of the dog house or the bottom of the vehicle. There are only two bolts to work with, but a lot of hoses in the way.

2. Does anyone know the bolt specifications that holds the pump onto the block?

3. This installation seems pretty easy, but the manual and instructions that came with the pump caution you to be careful with the fuel pump pushrod. One method advises you to use a bolt to "hold it" in place and another advises you to use use heavy grease. Being that I am new to this process, I don't understand what they mean and would like some advice before I go into the project.

*If anyone has any other ideas or methods to share, please let me know!

Thanks again everyone!
    Nabor J
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus Empty Re: Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:02 pm

This can sometimes be a most unagreeable job,,,,,There is a pushrod like about a 1/2" in diameter, 3" long that is pointed downward that goes between the camshaft and the arm of the fuel pump. Pull off the fuel pump, pushrod slides down INTO the cover of the fuel pump plate. The idea is to remove the fuel pump and that mounting plate and watch the pushrod fall out onto the ground. You need to crank the engine so that the pushrod is in all the way towards the engine. And if you grease up the end of the pushrod it will stick in the hole and not slide out. Then you need to put the plate back on, hook the arm of the fuel pump into the cover making sure that the arm is touching the end of that pushrod. Easy to mess it up and break the pushrod IF the arm is not ON THE END od the pushrod. Some engines have a jack bolt that you can take out and put a longer one in there like a set screw to hold that damn pushrod up into the hole while you put the pump in.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus Empty Re: Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus

Post by Digz Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Hope this might help.
    Fuel Pump Replacement / V8 1968 Handi-Bus Pump_b10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:44 pm

There it is,,,,,The Jack Bolt,,,,,you MIGHT have one. And there is the plate that the pushrod likes to slide down into. And the bolt torque is 18 ft lbs,,,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:56 am

And if you got a 6 cyl , You dont have to worry about the pushrod moveing around. Its on the pump

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:55 pm