VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Where to get sheet metal panels.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Where to get sheet metal panels. Empty Where to get sheet metal panels.

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:20 am

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed and I hate to bother you but who makes the replacement body panels for a '64? I'm getting closer to that point.
    I finally made the modifications and the seperate mounts to get my van up in the air on my scissor lift. If you have ever tried doing so, you know these unibodies can be quite the challenge.  Where to get sheet metal panels. 1f62c  Where to get sheet metal panels. 1f60a
    I should have probably did all this before I did all my other previous work - 292 swap, 700R swap, modify radiator, build belly pan, heavy duty hitch, etc. Either way, it definitly needed to be done before I get into the body. I will also have the lower third or so sand blasted first to see what I am up against. (not pretty, I'm sure.)
    Thanks for any info!!
    Chaz
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Where to get sheet metal panels. Empty Re: Where to get sheet metal panels.

Post by gfleduc Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:38 am

word is the supply dried up - don't know if that is so...
    American Muscle Car Parts & https://www.classicindustries.com/ were vendors selling them -

Skulptorchaz likes this post

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:04 pm

Thanks Gary. I hope someone might know of some. I hate to have to make all of them.
    I appreciate it!
    Chaz
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:09 am

Saw this today with another vanner's comments:
    Mill Supply Inc., 800-888-5072: SKU: 51-63-40EK
    https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/chevrolet/vans/63-70/516340EK.php

From JW "A word of caution with these, they are galvanized and thinner than the originals. They're designed to be bonded to the outside of the original rockers instead of being used as a patch/replacement panel. Unfortunately if you are intending to replace the existing rockers you either have to make your own or see if Rose from matchstick customs will make you a set."

my 2¢ - I had bought the "slip on" rocker a few years back and reworked it a little bit for a patch.  I don't know if it the same as they are selling now.

You can search on chevy van to see the other products they offer.

MDVANMAN
    MDVANMAN

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2019-05-11

Post by MDVANMAN Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:56 am

I bought a rocker from Mill Supply too, about 6 months ago. It was kinda thin and needed some love to get it looking OK. I pulled it too tight from the pinch weld up to where I had made the cut (welded it in rather than slipping over) so it ended up with the rocker looking sort of "flat" in the center. It was my fault, not the part's. Overall I'd give it a good review. It was only like $50 or something, I'd buy it again for sure.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:15 am

Thanks gents. I was hoping for weld-on's, as I am a welder. I'm also a fabricator but really did not want to put the time into them. A little "tweaking" would be acceptable but, I guess not to be. Looks like I will be breaking out the bead roller, english wheel and planishing hammer.  scratch
    I have several friends in the collision industry and they do REALLY like some of the 2 part epoxys for "gluing" panels. I may look into that.
    I also need around both wheel wells. Looks like it's going to take a bit more time than expected. Rolling Eyes
    Thanks a bunch guys!!!
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Post by gfleduc Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:52 am

They do have the wheel panels

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:51 pm