VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Brake Pull

The Blue Box
    The Blue Box

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2016-12-08

Brake Pull Empty Brake Pull

Post by The Blue Box Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Howdy from Texas. I have a 64 econo van and it pulls HARD to the driver side when you slam on the brakes. Not so much when you ease on them. New brakes a few years back
    Fiddled with the adjusters and bled the passenger front line to no avail. Replaced the drag link also. The crossover brake line doesn't look like it has any kinks in it.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Brake Pull Empty Re: Brake Pull

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:51 pm

Maybe left side brakes grabbing or right side not doing their job,,,,,,how are kingpin bushings and wheel bearings up front.....is there slop in the steering wheel,,,,,how long has this been going on,,,,,,did it just start after some work was done,,,,how about slam on brakes in dirt and see what each wheel did.........

savage likes this post

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:22 am

I'd suspect front adjuster pass side (had the same on my A100 - strong pull to pass side). Properly adjusted (not just fiddled)?
    Then, the brake hose on pass side - could be plugged - depending on brake fluid (dot 3, 4...). Some hoses are not up to newer fluids. You won't see from the outside; they are cheap, just replace them. When did you change the brake fluid the last time? Should be done all 2 years or so, because it draws water...
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:39 pm

I had something similar in my van, and I thought it was a problem with the brake system.  Then I replaced the rotted leaf spring bushings and it stopped pulling under braking.  It's worth at least taking a look at them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm