VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kermit
6 posters

starting issue

kermit

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

starting issue Empty starting issue

Post by kermit Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:56 am

I went to a cruise in yesterday in my Dodge A-108, and a few hrs later it wouldn't start, no clicking, headlights didn't dim. The wire connections to the starter from the box at the back of the left side of the rear of the firewall were tight so I used a screwdriver to jump the two top terminals at the starter, and it started just fine. I drove him and turned the engine off. Just out of curiosity I tried starting it and it started okay. Could the problem be in the starter solenoid or relay, and if it's the starter solenoid is that the one that has the connections that I jumped with the screwdriver? If so do I have to remove the starter to replace it, or can I just replace it by itself?
    Thanks

Here is a picture of the terminals that I jumped. This doesn't look anything like what is depicted in the photos at the standard auto parts places for starter solenoid switches. Is this something else?

https://imgur.com/a/PqXr9wv

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

starting issue Empty Re: starting issue

Post by 69 Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm

The "wired box" at the rear doghouse is the starter relay. You'll get it at rockauto for example. Basically, any Mopar starter relay from that time should work.

My guess would be that either the relay or the starter switch might be the culprit.

kermit likes this post

kermit

Post by kermit Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:05 am

69 wrote:The "wired box" at the rear doghouse is the starter relay. You'll get it at rockauto for example. Basically, any Mopar starter relay from that time should work.

My guess would be that either the relay or the starter switch might be the culprit.

My guess was it was likely one or the other, but don't know how to tell which one. I was able to get the starter to crank over by taking a screwdriver and jumping the two terminals on top of the (starter switch? ) solenoid. If it was a bad solenoid would jumping it work? Same question for the starter relay, since the wires seem to be wired from there. If the relay was bad would jumping those terminals even work?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8759
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:20 am

change them both
    look at swaping out the voltage regulator as well that should be just below the dash

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 am

Kermit,
    I'd start by checking the battery voltage to determine if it is getting charged by the alternator or not and that may lead to the voltage regulator.

gmytych likes this post

kermit

Post by kermit Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:40 pm

sweetvan wrote:Kermit,
    I'd start by checking the battery voltage to determine if it is getting charged by the alternator or not and that may lead to the voltage regulator.

Sorry, but I'm confused about this. If the battery had more than enough juice to run the starter after I jumped the two top terminals with a screwdriver, why would it be the battery?

gmytych likes this post

kermit

Post by kermit Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:43 pm

dix wrote:change them both
    look at swaping  out the voltage regulator as well that should be just below the dash

There's a potential issue with just changing both. The solenoid or starter switch (the one that had the terminals that I jumped with the screwdriver) at all the auto parts stores that I've checked does not look like what is in the picture.

gmytych likes this post

lear0
    lear0

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2017-04-28

Post by lear0 Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 pm

if its a automatic,check the saftey switch on trans. mine come loose alot,no start

dix likes this post

kermit

Post by kermit Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:08 am

lear0 wrote:if its a automatic,check the saftey switch on trans. mine come loose alot,no start

That's a great suggestion. Can you give me a general idea of how I can best locate it?
    Thanks.

dix and gmytych like this post

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:52 am

The NSS is either at the transmission, nearby the gear and throttle lever on the driver side. You should be able to reach it without rasing the truck.

Depending on your model year, it is either a one or three-prong connecter (earlier: one, later (after 68, it was changed mid-year 68 or 69 IIRC). One Prong: this one is easy. The connector should contact ground if Lever is in N or P. If it doesn't, replace it (careful, there's trans oil behind the switch).

If it's a three prong connector, check the middle connector. Same procedure - it needs to be connected to ground if in N or P.

Trust this helps.

dix, gmytych and sweetvan like this post

elton@eng.auburn.edu
    elton@eng.auburn.edu

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2020-10-22

Post by elton@eng.auburn.edu Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:40 am

It's likely the starter relay, on the rear of the doghouse, is not grounded. The bolt that holds it to the doghouse grounds it to the doghouse. Not a good design, but... that's Chrysler.

Lemme know.

Dave Elton
    1 334 319 3119
    elton@eng.auburn.edu

dix, gmytych and sweetvan like this post

kermit

Post by kermit Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:53 am

elton@eng.auburn.edu wrote:
    It's likely the starter relay, on the rear of the doghouse, is not grounded. The bolt that holds it to the doghouse grounds it to the doghouse. Not a good design, but... that's Chrysler.

Lemme know.

Dave Elton
    1 334 319 3119
    elton@eng.auburn.edu

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been having ISP provider issues out here in the sticks. I went without home internet for a long time before an alternate solution was found, and even then it's not high speed. (barely adequate for email and forums now though.)

I've not had any further issues so far since making sure that bolt was grounding the relay, so I'm guessing that was the problem.
    Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:58 pm