VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Hot starting issue help

Pyrolume
    Pyrolume

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2014-12-02

Hot starting issue help Empty Hot starting issue help

Post by Pyrolume Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:09 pm

65 with a 240, previous owner installed rebuilt carb and new fuel pump and engine is basically stock.  Car starts perfectly fine when cold but after running for anything longer than a few minutes will crank but not turn until it's cranked for a minute or more.   Looks like a textbook vapor lock issue but I've already insulated the fuel line without any inprovement. The questions I have are:

1. Is there a check valve that might have been left out when the pump was replaced?
    2. Should there be some sort of spacer or heat insulator between the carb and manifold?
    3. Is is possible that there could be some sort of issue with the floats in the carb causing the fuel to percolate?

I'm definitely a novice when it comes to carbs would appreciate any insight anyone can give me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hot starting issue help Empty Re: Hot starting issue help

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:26 pm

I guess 1st test would be is there too much or too little gas in that carb after it warms up,,,,,,,do you smell or see a lot of gas down inside the carburetor after it sits a while,,,,,,if it seems dry,,,,,shoot some carburetor cleaner down the carburetor and see if that makes it start better,,,,,
    Pyrolume
    Pyrolume

Post by Pyrolume Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm

A little more reading and more info.. After the car sits it stinks of gas inside. So I'm guessing the carb is getting hot, pushing open the needle valves and flooding the carb. I'm gonna run it tomorrow and then try holding the throttle wide open to clear the flood and see if that gets it started. I think tge root of the problem is a missing spacer or gasket after the carb was changed. The guy I bought the car from wasn't the most mechanically savvy so this could be a real possibility.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Try to run it with the gas cap off,,,,,,,somebody could of put a sealed cap instead of a vented one and any pressure build up in the tank gets pushed into the carb,,,,,but sounds like you need to change the needle and seat,,,,,possibly the float,,,,,
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Most likely the gas is percolating in the carb. A fenolic spacer would work, but what I did was hook up a timer to my electric fan. It is a wind-up timer for 120volt lighting. It goes from 0-60 minutes. Usually, a quarter turn (15 minutes) is more than enough to cool down the engine after shut-down, making starting easier
    Pyrolume
    Pyrolume

Post by Pyrolume Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:40 am

Ordered a phenolic spacer, hoping it does the job. In the mean time I've gotten really good at starting a flooded engine.. The cloud of black smoke and revved up start seem to be real crowd pleaders lol.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 am

lol!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:26 am

all you need n0w is a set of "Flame Throwers" for the exhaust pipes!!!!!!!!!!! cheers affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:35 am