VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Empty Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van?

Post by Scott Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Same wheel bearings, and appear to be the same.  I just received a pair and will be measuring everything out tonight.  I am just wondering if any of  you have tried it.

I have an M1 Disc Brake setup,    but I saw that the WildBill Disc Brake setup uses a Nova roter, which is a good sign that bearing location inside the hub is the same.

I will let you know what I find, but please reply if you have tried this, or know bettere then to try it.

Thanks

The new hub in the pics is the Camaro Hub and the Silver one is off a 1st / 2nd Gen. Van.

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? 3fe1d310
    Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? 7e362010
    Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? 08fd9810

wideload, savage and DanTheVanMan like this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Empty Re: Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van?

Post by AzDon Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:38 pm

I looked up 68 camaro at RockAuto and it appears that the rotor and hub that are integral cost basically the same as the slip-on rotor..... The integral rotor appears to use the same bearings and seals as our vans.... Whichever way you go, let us know how it works!

Scott likes this post

Scott
    Scott

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Empty Re: Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van?

Post by Scott Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm

I have all the measurements, everything is the same except the circumference of the hub itself.  The old hub is 3/4” longer around than the new one. This brings the studs about 1/8” closer to the edge. I don’t care for that, but I don’t know if it’s enough to worry about.   I am putting a list together of the measurements with a diagram.  Should have it posted by tomorrow.

Last edited by Scott on Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed the wrong name of rotor to hub.)

savage and DanTheVanMan like this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:47 pm

This is good information here! Very Happy cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Scott wrote:I have all the measurements, everything is the same except the circumference of the rotor itself.  The old rotor is 3/4” bigger around than the new one. This brings the studs about 1/8” closer to the edge. I don’t care for that, but I don’t know if it’s enough to worry about.   I am putting a list together of the measurements with a diagram.  Should have it posted by tomorrow.

So are you sayin that the new hub shown is larger than the old one?
    Or are you sayin that the actual disc rotor is bigger than a previous one?
    I only see pictures of hubs....
    RockAuto shows slip-on rotors that fit front or rear on a 68 camaro with 4-wheel discs...
    They also show a rotor with integral hub and studs that uses the same bearings and seals....
    It would be nice to know if the slip-on rotor fits either of those hubs (or both) and if both rotors center the caliper at the same depth......Camaros and Novas both used 14 inch steel wheels, so it would be interesting to learn what wheel choices might work....

DanTheVanMan likes this post

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Thank you AzDon for pointing out my mistake..

Sorry to anyone that read that confusing post. I just edited it to show Hub instead of Rotor.

The new Camaro Hub outside circumference is smaller than the old Van one.

I didn't know about the Camaro Rotors, could be interesting, but Camaro back-plates are held on with three bolts, where our van have four. So if a Camaro caliper bracket depended on the same back-plate bolts it would mean they wouldn't fit our vans.

I am running the original disc setup that M1Dadio came up with that uses rear rotors from a 78 Trans-Am. These rotors fit fine on this new Camaro hub, and puts them at the same position.

I wish I had more space, time, a spare axle, and $$$ to get these parts to try them out. Its always nice to find bolt on replacements and upgrades.

DanTheVanMan and AzDon like this post

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:26 am

I have a 1966 G10 interchange list printed from a salvage yard - it has 20 vehicles on it...

savage likes this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 am

gfleduc wrote:I have a 1966 G10 interchange list printed from a salvage yard - it has 20 vehicles on it...

gfleduc, Any chance you can post it? Maybe as a "PDF"....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:45 pm

The list is fuzzy - PM me an email address & I would be happy to send it over..

AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:07 pm

So I guess it's safe to assume that Camaro slip-on rotors probably only fit over those Camaro hubs..... Where did you find those hubs to buy them?

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 am

Sorry for the delay..    Here's the update on where I am at..

Just know that I am not a mechanical engineer, I am testing and trying this at my own risk. If you decide to do the same just know it’s not endorsed by the manufactures.

I probably have the same interchange list, which I will add to this post. According to my measurements, and the list I was later given, the Camaro hub should work fine.

On my van I am running front Disc using the kit M1Dadio put together. This requires I use rear disc rotor made for a 78 Trans-AM. This rotor fits fine over the Camaro hub I am using.  My problem is that even with our stock van hubs I have to grind part of the hub down to keep it from hitting the caliper bracket that comes with the M1 Disc Conversion. Right now I am on hold until I can find a machine shop to grind this down for me.

BUT, if you are running front drums these Camaro hubs should work fine from the box.
    Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Hubsli10

Here is where I got the hubs, which I think now is a Summit Racing Brand.  Also,  I think its kind of a crappy casting, but it should work fine.

I paid about $85 for this kit with shipping.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-6474hkoe

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Clp-6410

savage and DanTheVanMan like this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Good job and info Scott... Now I do not have to re-type that whole sheet! cheers

I also have M1Dadio's kits on both my vans both front and back with all stock hubs on one and
    the other has a 69 camero rear-end and always wondered if this exchange was a possibility. study study study cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:00 am

To get the new hubs to mount without hitting the conversion to disc bracket I needed to have the rear of the hubs machined down. I didn't figure finding a machinist to do it would be very difficult in Minneapolis. Big place right? Turns out I was wrong, NAPA Auto had one location that does machine work but the guy that does it is out for another week. I called about five more places, all of them told me they no longer piece work, just commercial work. One place told me I should go in business doing work like that because they are constantly turning people away.

Beating my brains out I searched Craigslist for a Metal Lathe. I know I wouldn’t know the first thing about using one if I had one, I don’t have room for one in my shop, and they start at like $600 bucks for a cheap one, but I was frustrated and looked anyway.

The Craigslist search turned up a garage sale that a guy 15 minutes from my house was having. It said he is selling off his extra machinist tools for money to upgrade the ones he was using. So I grabbed an old hub and the two new ones and drove to his sale. It was raining, which may be why I was the only one there. As I picked through his stuff I could see the wall to wall machine shop in his garage. The guy had a Bridgeport, two lathes, and a press so big that he had to cut the ceiling out to keep it from hitting when he used it.   I told him I was looking for a place and couldn't find one, and asked if it was something he would be interested in doing. He asked me to grab the parts from the pickup, and ended up doing it while I waited. It took like 20 minutes to do them both.

This is what I started with..    Of course the one on the left is the one I pulled off, the one on the right is  one of the new ones before it was machined.
    Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Img_1610

This is what the new ones look like now..

Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? F8023811

The drawing below is what I was putting together to show my measurements. I was held up because I was looking for a side cutaway of a hub so I present the total height, and the depth of the bearing races. But once I was given the list of vehicles that use a workable hub my measurements didn't seem as important. But, here is what I finished.
    Front Hubs made for a 68 Camaro / Nova on a 1st / 2nd Gen G Van? Van_hu10

Smokey Bear likes this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:11 am

That's awesome Scott! Sometimes you just get lucky!

And Thank You for posting the spec's... cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Scott likes this post

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:30 am

A funny thing happened when I was pressing in the new wheel studs. I had gone down to Northern Tool and brought an Arbor style 1 ton press. I pressed in my first wheel stud and the press broke in half. Wish I had taken a picture of it, but the whole base snapped off.

I returned it and bought a 6 ton hydraulic press from Harbor Freight, it was $20 cheaper and works like a champ.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am