VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play

gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play   Empty Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play

Post by gary h Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm

Still have excessive play in a recently Rebuilt gearbox. All linkage and King pins are new in the last few years. I believe I centered the shaft correctly,but on the highway there is just too much play. I wonder if only seals were replaced and that's it. I would have thought it would be tight at first and then loosen up but it was loose from the get go. Is there a good way to adjust out some play ? Thanks in advance.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play   Empty Re: Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play

Post by dix Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:05 am

looking thru the grill there is a 1/2 "or 9/16 nut with a threded screw in the center , let me know if you need direction.

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play   Empty Re: Installed Rebuilt Steering Box and Still Have Play

Post by dix Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:13 am

Post by gary h Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:40 am

Thanks Dix, After I raise the front end and center the steering wheel .Does the Pitman arm or Drag Link have to be Disconnected from Box ?
    gary h
    gary h

Post by gary h Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 pm

I made the adjustment a few times and it's Better. Still has Too much play for a fresh rebuild. Maybe a steering stabilizer is in order ?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:33 am

maybe a alignment shop could point in the right direction,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm