VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Modification of the future?

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Modification of the future? Empty Modification of the future?

Post by Keith D Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:25 am

I am excited about the possible future of hot rodding and vanning. Looking into my crystal ball I believe that things for future vehicle “modifiers” is going to be even better than it is now.

I am talking about the death of the internal combustion engine and the rise of the electric vehicle. I have some friends that cannot stand the fact that the internal combustion will become a dinosaur like the creatures that have powered our vehicles for the past hundred plus years.

I on the other hand am excited about the electric motor (EM) taking over. I wish that I were 20 – 30 years younger (for more that one reason) so that I could see the day when you can go to the dealer and get a “crate” electric motor. You may have seen on TV or Youtube EMs put into classic vehicles and then frying the tires off the rims, EMs have instant torque.

Putting an EM in our vans would be a natural, it will make them ultra-quiet inside, no engine noise. You will not get heat coming through the doghouse right between the seats. There will be no more overheating problems and they are a lot quicker that the internal combustion engine. If you have a bed in the back, you could fill underneath it with batteries. Plus, if you wanted you could probably fill the entire back up with batteries and drive from California to New York without recharging. LOL.

Seriously though the thought of an “engine” swap that make a first gen quiet, fast, cool, and cool running is exciting to me. Just wish I were young enough to make it happen in my old A108.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Modification of the future? Empty Re: Modification of the future?

Post by SteelyVan Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:40 am

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/

The future has become now kinda. I don't even wanna ask how much $$ (with batts)
    Otto
    Otto

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2020-09-02

Post by Otto Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:23 am

That Tesla "crate motor" is fascinating. Just thumbing through a Summit catalog, you would spend at least $10-12K to a get 500 Hp gas engine- and the e-motor comes with a transmission of some sort. If you were to plug this setup into a vehicle, you could arrange the battery pack anywhere  you wanted and possibly achieve a nice 50/50 weight distribution- even in an early van. I could finally get rid of the cast iron weight in the back and the gas tank too!
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:48 am

I'm sure as time goes by the price will come down as it does with all technology Smile
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Ive been working on converting my 68 to EV for a year now, ive been studying and planning for about 12 years. Ive been in and out of the vehicle alternate fuel business since the early 80's.  I dont believe the price is going to go down until everybody in the world goes to manufacturing electric only vehicles. Which may come sooner than we think.

M1D
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Not looking forward to it honestly, but teho.

jrdunn96 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:22 am