VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
gfleduc
EdddieMello
7 posters

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed

EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2019-08-28

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed Empty Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed

Post by EdddieMello Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:00 pm

My new engine seems to run well, I have about 200 miles on it, so excited. I find I am suffering from a common problem though, overheating. These old radiators get pretty clogged up over the years. Fortunately, I know an old radiator guy who will make me a new one out of the old one. Now, it looks like I am missing the radiator shroud. I sure would like to find one to put on. Anyone have one they want gone? Thnx EdDStock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed B01b8710

EdddieMello likes this post

EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed Empty Re: Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed

Post by EdddieMello Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:12 pm

No replies. I might have to make the shroud. If someone has one, would you post the diameter and width?
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed Empty Re: Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed

Post by gfleduc Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:37 am

Fan shrouds were not delivered on a 1st gen.  The vans do have a belly pan (which GM called a Baffel) which direct cooling air upto the radiator.

EdddieMello likes this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12227
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:55 am

I think the vans with powerglides might of at least had them,,,,,,,

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed Dscn0047

savage and Russell like this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7901
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:34 am

Don is correct! My 65 Sportvan with the Powerglide has one! My 66 with a 3-sp muncie does not...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Stock Fan shroud for 1st gen needed Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Skapbil
    Skapbil

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2016-01-29

Post by Skapbil Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:48 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Don is correct! My 65 Sportvan with the Powerglide has one! My 66 with a 3-sp muncie does not...

Any chance you have a picture you could post? They seem to be as rare a hens teeth!
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:54 pm

as rare as they are, the previous owner installed one on my '64 panel. it was twisted and dented, looked easy enough to make one from scratch so i tossed it in the scrap pile. 10 years later, i have not seen another in person! i have seen pics and what i scrapped was an original.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Skapbil wrote:
    DanTheVanMan wrote:Don is correct! My 65 Sportvan with the Powerglide has one! My 66 with a 3-sp muncie does not...

Any chance you have a picture you could post?  They seem to be as rare a hens teeth!

Skapbil, I would love to, however I am in Florida and the 65 is currently in storage in Michigan. But you do have many options! You can find very inexpensive aftermarket shrouds that can work on eBay, Amazon and any of the major online muscle car sites as well for less than $50.

However, if you have even the most basic metal fab skills you can easily make one in less than an hour. My original has come out and back in dozens of times and there is not much to it.

It is basically about a 4" wide, 1/8" thick piece of sheet metal with both sides curled up about 3/8"-1/4" all the way around for rigidity making it about 3" in total width. It has 3 outward tabs (not 4) that mount directly to the Radiator mounting bolts except where the upper rad hose is...
    It's one of those parts you look at and think: "Someone got rich making these simple things!

Here's a couple of options for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-CHROME-STEEL-COOLING-SHROUD/dp/B005HISE7G

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Chrome-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-Shroud-3-Inch-Wide,844.html?sku=58066641&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d9NwxvnOg5DBDO0UBGDYM6tB_ymvP5znqIClSjGyuiJtpSxl0vwpexoCc7cQAvD_BwE

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm

jrinaman wrote:as rare as they are, the previous owner installed one on my '64 panel. it was twisted and dented, looked easy enough to make one from scratch so i tossed it in the scrap pile. 10 years later, i have not seen another in person! i have seen pics and what i scrapped was an original.

I know right? Over the decades I too have thrown out so many parts thinking they were just scrap... Parts now worth their weight in gold! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 pm

Maybe a small typo in there? 1/16 thick? (Not 1/8")...

DanTheVanMan likes this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:49 am

gfleduc wrote:Maybe a small typo in there? 1/16 thick? (Not 1/8")...

Yep, 1/16"  

Hey it was late at night! lol  Razz Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks guys, it does appear to be pretty simple. I can just make one if needed. My radiator rebuild worked great. No more overheating.

DanTheVanMan likes this post

ArrGee
    ArrGee

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2023-04-07

Post by ArrGee Tue May 09, 2023 1:36 pm

old topic, I know but, it looks like there are repro nova and camaro shrouds that should fit the bill. has anyone used one of these ? I think it would be good information to find something adaptable without needing to make one from scratch.

-ArrGee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:12 pm