VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's


+3
dix
blackace
roll-in bad neighbourhood
7 posters

Fan shroud

roll-in bad neighbourhood
roll-in bad neighbourhood


Number of posts : 36
Location : Maryhill,Ontario,Canada
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Fan shroud Empty Fan shroud

Post by roll-in bad neighbourhood Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am

Could anyone let me know if the 68 A,s with a 318 came stock with factory fan shrouds on the rads,and if you have a pic that would be coool because mine isn,t.
Cheers
blackace
blackace


Number of posts : 450
Location : Van Wert, Oh
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by blackace Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am

roll-in bad neighbourhood wrote:Could anyone let me know if the 68 A,s with a 318 came stock with factory fan shrouds on the rads,and if you have a pic that would be coool because mine isn,t.
Cheers

I will take a look tonight and get a pic or two for you. I think there is a shroud but will look for sure. I know what I have is stock set up.
dix
dix
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class


Number of posts : 8563
Location : pittsburgh pa
Age : 65
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by dix Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:45 pm

i know they had a shroud and they are hard to come by. i found the 70's pick up worked on 3 sides. but they were to wide i cut the driver side off and made a sheet metal angle . Then bent the plastic down to the sheet metal and screwed it togather . It is still working very well. I would think the 70's van would work as well. ya just have to get creative


_________________
still vannin since 1974
avatar
born2late


Number of posts : 45
Location : Scranton, PA
Registration date : 2010-07-02

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by born2late Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:35 am

I have 2 shrouds that are either 6 cyl or 318. Not sure how to tell. PM me if you need one. Always looking to trade.
blackace
blackace


Number of posts : 450
Location : Van Wert, Oh
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by blackace Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 am

Here are some pics of the fan shroud that I have with my truck with the 318. It is about as good as I can get as there is not much room in there to get around it.

Fan shroud A100_f10

Fan shroud A100_f11

Fan shroud A100_f13


Hope this helps.
dix
dix
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class


Number of posts : 8563
Location : pittsburgh pa
Age : 65
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by dix Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm

the / 6 shroud is off center... the 318 shroud would be on center.


_________________
still vannin since 1974
roll-in bad neighbourhood
roll-in bad neighbourhood


Number of posts : 36
Location : Maryhill,Ontario,Canada
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by roll-in bad neighbourhood Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm

dix wrote:the / 6 shroud is off center... the 318 shroud would be on center.
Thanks for the replies. I've been up north working and had no internet,Blackace is your shroud factory equipment,i will pm born2late and see if his is similar.Did you notice any difference in cooling, with the clutch fan vs the flex fan.
RodStRace
RodStRace


Number of posts : 3046
Location : Chino Valley
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by RodStRace Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm

In the Mopar world, the 'right way' is to run a clutch fan and a shroud or a solid fan with a shroud.
High HP and long haul vehicles came with the clutch fans. Low buck and short trip stuff like our vans and the trucks tended toward the solid fans. Many of them did not have shrouds but every van I've seen had provisions for them. They probably got left off at some point. These things need all the airflow help they can get!
If you upgrade your van for more modern fast-paced driving and road trips, I'd suggest a clutch fan.
Shrouds should bolt on to the back, and extend out away from the radiator core around the edges as much as possible to limit blocking the air flow. The fan edges should be 1/3 to 1/2 way into the opening. There should be enough gap to allow the fan to be unbolted, tilted and removed.

Flex fans are an aftermarket mess that tend to disentegrate.
pittsdriver
pittsdriver


Number of posts : 335
Location : Twin Falls, Idaho
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by pittsdriver Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I might have an extra shroud. If I have one I'll let you know. Don
roll-in bad neighbourhood
roll-in bad neighbourhood


Number of posts : 36
Location : Maryhill,Ontario,Canada
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by roll-in bad neighbourhood Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 am

RodStRace wrote:In the Mopar world, the 'right way' is to run a clutch fan and a shroud or a solid fan with a shroud.
High HP and long haul vehicles came with the clutch fans. Low buck and short trip stuff like our vans and the trucks tended toward the solid fans. Many of them did not have shrouds but every van I've seen had provisions for them. They probably got left off at some point. These things need all the airflow help they can get!
If you upgrade your van for more modern fast-paced driving and road trips, I'd suggest a clutch fan.
Shrouds should bolt on to the back, and extend out away from the radiator core around the edges as much as possible to limit blocking the air flow. The fan edges should be 1/3 to 1/2 way into the opening. There should be enough gap to allow the fan to be unbolted, tilted and removed.

Flex fans are an aftermarket mess that tend to disentegrate.



Rod would you say that the shroud in the pictures blackace provided are factory equipment.
RodStRace
RodStRace


Number of posts : 3046
Location : Chino Valley
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 am

factory but a bit hacked.
Looks like it's been cut at the bottom and sides/top using a cutting torch.
roll-in bad neighbourhood
roll-in bad neighbourhood


Number of posts : 36
Location : Maryhill,Ontario,Canada
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by roll-in bad neighbourhood Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 am

pittsdriver wrote:I might have an extra shroud. If I have one I'll let you know. Don
Don that would be great if you could have a look for me.
blackace
blackace


Number of posts : 450
Location : Van Wert, Oh
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by blackace Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 am

roll-in bad neighbourhood wrote:
dix wrote:the / 6 shroud is off center... the 318 shroud would be on center.
Thanks for the replies. I've been up north working and had no internet,Blackace is your shroud factory equipment,i will pm born2late and see if his is similar.Did you notice any difference in cooling, with the clutch fan vs the flex fan.

Yea this is factory original from 1968. and I have not had any issues with keeping the truck cool even driving in town with stop and go traffic.
wylee
wylee


Number of posts : 866
Location : middletown,ny
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by wylee Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am

if you guys get a chance, could ya measure the 318 rdaiator, just the corewould be great. the rad i took out has ben changed at some point. i need the stock measurements , this way i got a shot of getting something. thanks

Sponsored content


Fan shroud Empty Re: Fan shroud

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:38 am