VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade

erik.benedetto
    erik.benedetto

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-12-19

1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade Empty 1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade

Post by erik.benedetto Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:47 am

Hi all, i am actually starting the second part of my van restauration. Beneath some metal work and rust removing there are also some upgrades planned. On of this should be installing a brake booster for my single master cylinder drum brakes. Coversion to disc brakes is not an option referring to law here in germany in combination with vintage status for insurance. So does anybody has experience with brake boosters on our A-Vans? Can you recommend parts and do you have an indication on the complexity and work hours to spend on this? Looking forward for your input. Thanks in advance.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade Empty Re: 1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade

Post by dix Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 pm

you can install disc brakes with out a booster the dodge 1971thru1973 b van had disc brakes in the front with out a booster meaning it had disc but did not have power brakes. that is what i am running
    works great and striate as a arrow

Dix...

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-12-19

1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade Empty Re: 1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade

Post by erik.benedetto Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:18 pm

As Said Disc Brakes are Not a Option. I world like to Installateur power brakes. Is there a Kit you can recommend?
    Dan Scully
    Dan Scully

Number of posts : 254
    Registration date : 2016-07-30

1965 Dodge A100 - Power Brake upgrade Empty Brake Booster

Post by Dan Scully Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 pm

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:35 pm

HISTORY OF BRAKES
    First, just a generic overview of automotive braking
    1. single axle linkage brakes or a driveshaft brake
    2. all corner linkage braking
    3. all corner hydraulic brakes (single reservior)
    4. all corner hydraulic brakes (single reservior) with vacuum assist (disc in later years)
    5. all corner hydraulic brakes (dual reservior) with vacuum assist (disc in later years)
    6. all corner hydraulic brakes (dual reservior) with vacuum assist (with ABS)
    7. all corner hydraulic brakes (dual reservior) with hydraulic assist (with ABS) originally used on diesels, due to no vacuum source, they have been used on more vehicles in the past couple decades.

Since I do not live in Germany, I am not versed in the legal regulations and insurance requirements. It does not make much sense to be able to retrofit a vacuum assist, but not upgrade to disc brakes. I don't question that this is true, the government here does some puzzling things too.
    So I would suggest asking the government and your insurance for what is allowed, hopefully in writing, then ask fellow enthusiasts there in Germany what they have been able to do.
    Without limitations, my first upgrade would be a dual master cylinder. The second would be discs, then maybe a "power" brake upgrade after that.  Just upgrading from 4 wheel drums fed from a single master to power will not increase safety in stopping power (shorter distance) or in case of a leak, only the human effort to stop.
    The 1966-1970 A vans came with a dual reservoir, so that is an easy upgrade and provides a margin of safety in case of a leak. Stock, Original Equipment (OE) designed and tested. Does not help with effort or shorten stopping distance.
    I am not aware of any OE power brake units, so that would be an aftermarket retrofit, not factory.
    This is the same as a disc brake upgrade - all are aftermarket and not from the factory.
    The parts Dan Scully referenced will work and have been proven in medium duty trucks here in the USA for many decades, but add complexity. They are also a retrofit that was never used by the factory on A-100s.

I imagine that many hot rods (pre-1948 American cars with upgraded performance) are also over there and another source of information on what is allowed and available.
    http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/german-street-rod-association-car-show/
    Muscle cars are also popular over there. Check sources for them too, since they are from a similar time frame.
    If Germany is anything like the various states here, make sure to document everything as you gather parts for your van, and let us know how it all works out.

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:23 am

Erik, why should a disc brake conversion not be an option here in Germany?

I know many classic cars having been upgraded with a (proper) front disc setup - here in Germany. One of the guys here did it with his A108...

Anyway, your descision. A much more needed upgrade would be a dual master setup - front and rear separated. THAT would be on my agenda first. My '69 already had a dual master cylinder - off the factory line.

I have no power brake upgrade in my truck and it rides and breaks perfect. Yes, in an emergency you need to apply more pressure than with a booster, but I never had a problem to get all four wheels to an immediate full stop. (and I'm no Ironman, not even close...) Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 am