VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
gfleduc
Fcat
EdddieMello
7 posters

What manual?

EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2019-08-28

What manual? Empty What manual?

Post by EdddieMello Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 am

I bought my van recently, now I need the manu(s) to be successful in making it my daily driver. Recommendations anyone? Novice mechanic!
    Thnx in advance,
    EdD
    1266 230ci? 3 speed
    Fcat
    Fcat

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2019-02-11

What manual? Empty Re: What manual?

Post by Fcat Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:04 am

Hi Ed

Welcome!

I've had mine since last November and hope to have it on the road this week. I'm based in the UK and have one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143085694946 no doubt there will be a more straightforward route for you but this could be a fall-back.

Hope you enjoy your van.

Ian
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 am

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 am

I bought my first van at age 19, a 66 chevy sportvan. I had a haynes manual and it was very helpful.
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks guys, good ideas... I ordered mine today.
    EdD
    1266 230? 3 on the tree
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:12 pm

That ST 36 is just a 1963 supplement to the 1963 ST 22 Truck Shop  manual,,,,,,,my ST 36 does not have an engine or transmission section in it,,,,,,,,(maybe the newer reprint does),,, the ST 75 is a more complete manual for a 66,,,,
    To get you a little more familiar with what you got,,,,,,you call your van a 1266,,,,its more commonly known as a 1966 G10 Chevy Sportvan,,,,,,,and those came in 3 versions,,,,plain old Sportvan,,,,,Sportvan Custom and the ultra fancy, Sportvan Deluxe,,,,,,,do you have pop out windows, chrome strips, fancy horn button or a step that slides out when you open the side doors,,,,,,

What manual? 66_van10
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Yes, I figured that out, so I bought a more comprehensive selection. I called my van a 1266 as that is the id on the vin. I assume it it is the SportVan midrange (custom?) as it doesn’t have the chrome trim on the rear lights nor the custom horn ring. It does have the popout windows and the step though.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Let me get VanAgain over here,,,,,he loves those Sportvans and can explain the differences,,,,,,
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi Eddie. Welcome to the club! Your Sportvan looks to be in good shape. Have you posted photos anywhere?

I am a Sportvan fan! Back in the day, we wanted a van with as few windows as possible but nowadays the window vans are catching on.

Don summed it up the three versions of Sportvans pretty good. That step is the reason your battery is inside the van rather than underneath where it’s more out of the way. I think pop-out windows were an option available to all three models. If yours doesn’t say Custom or Deluxe under the Sportvan emblem, then it’s probably a regular Sportvan. The main indicator of a Custom is it came with painted “chipboard” interior panels.

You can find the lengthy story of my Sportvan Deluxe here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t1038-back-to-vanagains-newest-65-chevy-sportvan-deluxe
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Hey VANagain,  I had gone to Portland from Seattle on my motorcycle last month to buy a ‘79 gypsy van. After I drove it I changed my mind, I then drove another 300 miles looking at a few others but to no avail. Coming home tired and frustrated, I saw this SportVan for sale along the road. I turned around and stopped. I realized then, what I didn’t like with all the other vans I had looked at was the lack of windows. Long story short and having never seen a SportVan before, I bought it on the spot.
    It has a little rust in the typical spots and leaks a little oil but otherwise sound. I am am awaiting a new carburetor now but expect to be driving it daily starting this weekend.
    PS; I am loving following your restoration! Thank you!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 am

There is more to his SportVannin,,,,,,the green and white one is his 3rd SportVan,,,,,,the 1st was a tan one called Storage Van,,,,,,the 2nd one, here, is the shiney  Blue New York van,,,,which at the time was called his NEW 65 SportVan Deluxe,,,,,our old Forum was shut down in about 2008, so 2 years of posts are missing from the site,,,,,,,however,,,,,I sure got pictures of what a fine New York van looked like,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2234-back-to-vanagains-new-65-sportvan-deluxe

What manual? Rich10

What manual? Rich_011

What manual? Rich_010
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Here was his 1st van,,,,,Storage Van,,,,,,thats where we got it from,,,,,little guy did not have a happy ending,,,,,,

What manual? Storag10

What manual? Rich_i10

What manual? Chevy_11

What manual? Good_b10

What manual? Good_b11

What manual? Good_b12
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Wow! I am intimidated now! I hadn’t planned on rebuilding anything. Been there done that! I have a 1940 Harley ULH, I restored and it is my daily rider, weather permitting. I just want to preserve this van but after looking at VANagain’s storybook. I am nervous if I don’t tear it down. We will see. What is the best way to stop the areas of rust from getting worse?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:42 pm

,,,,if you got some rust,,,,,at least put on some rust converter to neutralize the rust,,,,,until you can grind it off and cut it out and weld in new metal,,,,,,,
    EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Post by EdddieMello Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Recommended brand of rust converter? Best method to apply it? Most of my areas of rust are surface at this point and if I can keep them from growing I might be able to live with it.
    EdD
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 am

You need something that seals the rust like this stuff,,,,,,not primer,,,,,,,,we sure would like to see some pictures of your van,,,,,,,,,

What manual? Rusty_10

What manual? Rusty_11

What manual? Rusty_12
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am

EdddieMello wrote:Recommended brand of rust converter? Best method to apply it? Most of my areas of rust are surface at this point and if I can keep them from growing I might be able to live with it.
    EdD

POR15 is the way to go, but it can't be sprayed on. On areas you don't care because they don't get seen it's fine. But you can use it to stop other rusty areas until you have time to cut out the rust and replace with new metal.

I used the spray can Rustoleum converter on the surface rust on the top of my van, then sprayed a matching color on top of that. That was 5-6 years ago and the rust is surfacing again so I'll be doing it over soon. I am not ready for a VanAgain restoration.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:40 am