VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
DanTheVanMan
Kakster
G-Man
xjamesx
kookykrispy
9 posters

best way to set up an early for fuel economy?

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

best way to set up an early for fuel economy? Empty best way to set up an early for fuel economy?

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm wondering what the best plan is for optimal fuel economy in our little vans?

I'm thinking a stocker inline 6 with an overdrive trans would probably be pretty good... but what about a mild v8 with an OD trans?

Lets get some discussion happening on the subject.

I wonder if 20mpg is possible in an early chevy van?
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

best way to set up an early for fuel economy? Empty Re: best way to set up an early for fuel economy?

Post by xjamesx Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm

i have a 305 with a turbo 350 tranny and i get about 14 mpg with a 3.73 rear. i am hoping that goes up a little with the 700r4 i install this summer. if not, i am gonna try something out of the box like Leadfoot did with a toyota motor (that got 20+ MPG i think) or do diesel and run bio-diesel in the future.

lets get some ideas rolling!!!

best way to set up an early for fuel economy? Empty Re: best way to set up an early for fuel economy?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm gunna see what happens with the straight 6 and a 700R4, if I ever get it runnin right. Think I have a dist problem, its ok on level ground but cant climb a hill. just got it runnin the other day so we'll see. I gotta change the rear ratio too, its a 4.11-12 bolt, think I want to try a 3.56 or a 3.23 for some mileage. Also want to make the 6 breath better, headers, intake, better carb or FI.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Because we are basicly driving bricks on wheels no matter what set up you have you have to granny drive it to get the mpg's. Evens with leadfoots old set up. If you have your foot in it they won't be there. With 3 speeds I think the key is shifting at just the right time.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 pm

When I first got my 67 it had a 250L6 with the Carter YF carb and got about 14 mpg. I switched to the Rochester B carb and the van had more pep but the mileage dropped to about 12mpg. Seems the Carter was better. Anyone eles seen this?. I also heard the overdrive will add some more mileage too.
    Kakster
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Beats me! I get Gallons per mile! Just kidding jocolor

I switched to a Motorcraft 2150. And get around 22 hwy and 10-16 city depending on how heavy my foot is that day. And the old 250 still got serious get up and gooooooo......

And G-man is right on the shifting. If you shift correctly and are light on the pedal your mile will be much better. When I towed the bassboat from Atlanta to Jacksonville, Fl. I was really aware and careful and got about 15mpg. I thought that was amazing!!! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

best way to set up an early for fuel economy? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Believe it or not..........67 original stock 250..power-glide. Looks to be getting 20mpg or a tad more highway ( after trip to Cincy & back recently)........Not a whole lot less around town.

Of course I drive nice and easy.........take off easy and stop easy. Cruise around 55 to 60 mph. OH.......and she is very well tuned. Got a rally high geared 10 bolt rear end too.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Beats me! I get Gallons per mile! Just kidding jocolor

I switched to a Motorcraft 2150. And get around 22 hwy and 10-16 city depending on how heavy my foot is that day. And the old 250 still got serious get up and gooooooo......

And G-man is right on the shifting. If you shift correctly and are light on the pedal your mile will be much better. When I towed the bassboat from Atlanta to Jacksonville, Fl. I was really aware and careful and got about 15mpg. I thought that was amazing!!! cheers

Very interesting idea! What kind of intake and/or adapter did you need to use to install the motorcraft 2150. My dad has one of those carbs on his 66 ford truck and he likes it alot. If you are getting that kind of fuel economy out of your van, I want to try a 2150 carb.

Please, give us complete details on the swap.

Also do you know what rearend gears do you have??
    crazee

Post by crazee Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 pm

FORD PARTS ON A CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!! EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 pm

crazee wrote:FORD PARTS ON A CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!! EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something tells me you would think it's ok to drop a 350 into a Ford......

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:50 pm

It was an old setup I had from the 258 in my jeep. I had the adapter plate reworked. Here's the guy I got the carb from. 1/2 ton 3:36 rear and keep in mind I have a new 250 w/ electronic ignition also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MotorCraft-2100-2150-JEEP-AMC-Carb-Upgrade-258-4-2_W0QQitemZ220435188862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3352f60c7e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 pm

crazee wrote:FORD PARTS ON A CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!! EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The autolite is actually a holley carb, you got a problem with that?

Honestly dude, between this and the 'wooden bumpers are groovy' post... at least next time try and reply with something constructive. We're trying to have a serious discussion. Suspect

DanTheVanMan wrote:It was an old setup I had from the 258 in my jeep. I had the adapter plate reworked. Here's the guy I got the carb from. 1/2 ton 3:36 rear and keep in mind I have a new 250 w/ electronic ignition also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MotorCraft-2100-2150-JEEP-AMC-Carb-Upgrade-258-4-2_W0QQitemZ220435188862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3352f60c7e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318

Dan, so did you use the factory 1bbl manifold with an adapter plate?

I checked out that guy's listing... What did you have to do to the adapter plate to make it fit the chevy intake and linkage? How does the 2150 compare to the carter YF?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:23 am

KK,
    Did not use the factory adaptor plate. Didn't need it, but guess you could use if you wanted and would probably make the making of the gasket easier. The adapter plate for the 2150 to the jeep 258 plate completely covers the L6 intake manifold so all that had to be done was re-drill new counter sunk bolt holes and fill the ones from the 258.

How does it compare? Well, let’s just say that whimpy air sucking sound you here when you accelerate with the YF is replaced with a much deeper sound with lots of forward momentum!

I had a guy at the machine shop rework the plate for me so the "How to" is not avail. But looking at it after the fact I realized with a drill press and some
    JB-weld, I could have easily done it myself.

You have to make small adaper plates for the return spring and throttle linkage but is very easy, the 2150 pulls down on the driver's back side of the carb same as the YF.

best way to set up an early for fuel economy? 06160912

Old pic's....
    best way to set up an early for fuel economy? 06160915

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 pm

3.36 gears, L250, Carter YF, TH350 and a light foot got me 19MPG in the MO hills and I usually get 20-21 around here unless I'm pulling a trailer. 64 ChevyVan. My interior adds about 300 lbs to stock weight.

Later,
    Rip
    crazee

Post by crazee Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:08 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:

They do it all the time.............. Very Happy

Don't see em dropping Ford engines in Chevy's though.................do we?
    Razz
    crazee

Post by crazee Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:21 am

kookykrispy wrote:

The autolite is actually a holley carb, you got a problem with that?

Honestly dude, between this and the 'wooden bumpers are groovy' post... at least next time try and reply with something constructive. We're trying to have a serious discussion. Suspect

Honestly dude...............lighten up.

A bit of tongue in cheek keeps the planet from blowing itself up.

AND---------> WOOD BUMPERS ON FLATTIE VANS IS GROOVY! I was dead serious.

I had several back in the 70's & 80's like that. Matter of fact it was a common practice and considered by most to be VERY GROOVY. Matter of fact I'm going to put wood bumpers on my 67 no-door and I'll post pics to show you just how it was done and how groovy it is. Idea

And I like Holley carbs that say "HOLLEY" on them.............besides......what's wrong with a good old Carter or Rochester anyway????? ( but to each their own Smile )

Anyone ever try a Weber set up? They work great on British inlines and VW's and Jeeps and.......and.....also very easy tune & great mileage ,plus perfomance..........( I've personally never ran a Weber on a Chevy.......but run them on Brit & VW right now with great success)

As far as anything that has the word "autolite" on it............you can keep it. I've chucked more Autolite brand stuff in the dump than I can remember.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:12 pm

crazee wrote:
    DanTheVanMan wrote:

They do it all the time.............. Very Happy

Don't see em dropping Ford engines in Chevy's though.................do we?
    Razz

Would love to come back with a smart-A@@ answer but you do have a valid point on that one!!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:03 am

Excellent ideas everyone!

I'd like to hear about what kind of fuel economy any vanners with overdrive transmissions are getting?
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:32 am

Anybody try a 4 cylinder engine other than Leadfoots Toyota? Although the earlies had them stock, what about a high performance 4 cyl. boat engine. They turn more HP than the stock 6's of the day and almost the same torque? Would a chevy 4 cyl. need a different mount than the 6 cyl.?

Also, those Weber progressives come in a number of variations and jettings. Really, a good carb (once they are dialed in) if you ask me as I've run them on VWs, Pintos, Capris and more. However, some are German, Italian and Spanish made. Frankly, I can't tell the difference yet some purists only want the Germans.

Would love to hear from anybody who is running an Iron Duke or similar 4 cyl in their early flattie, or any other chevy van for that matter. Thanks and happy motoring!
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:21 am

I have a Holley-Weber 2brl on my 55 Chevy 235 pick-up with a BW T5 OD and get 20+ on the highway at 60+mph. Good performer. From Patricks.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 pm

a guy won pinks in a camaro with a big ford fe. it was weird but very fast. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:15 am