VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Empty Anybody put a hitch on their G van?

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm in the process. Since I have it up for the trany swap and new fuel tank sending unit I figured, why not. I want to pull my Manx style dune buggy, or Harley trailer and also make a platform for carrying more stuff outside (generator, gas, etc.), if necessary.
    IF any of you are interested, I'll post pix on how I do it.
    If any of you did it, I'd also like to hear how you did it.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Empty Re: Anybody put a hitch on their G van?

Post by Scott Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Someone had added a hitch to my van before it moved into my garage. Its out right now because I just replaced the sending unit in the van, and finished undercoating the van too.

In the top pick you can see where bolts are the run through the frame. The angle iron those bolts run through hug the outside of the frame.

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Captur18

This second picture was to show the bar that runs straight back and eventually bolts through the bumper. When I took this second picture I didn't notice the black panel in the background, so its a little hard to see the hitch. If you want more details just ask.
    Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Captur19
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Empty Pix of hitch so far

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Here are two pix of the hitch fabricated and painted.
    All plates are 1/4''. The cross tube is 1/4'' x 2'' x 3''.

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01112
    Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01113

I welded plates on the "frame" (if you will). The back portion mounting plates are welded on the outside and the front support plates are welded on the inside of the "frame" (not shown in these pix). I used 1/2'' bolts (Cool to bolt it together.

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01114

Doing it this way will allow me to drop the tank, if needed, without removing the hitch, and definitely strong enough for ANY thing I would tow.
    I will get some more pix tomorrow when I have it all together. I have everything painted and  will be easy to see.
    Chaz
    P.S. you do not need that many holes in the plates, I was thinking about adjusting, but not necessary.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Empty Re: Anybody put a hitch on their G van?

Post by vanny Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:40 am

Nice work, Chaz! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks Vanny.
    I'm VERY happy to be able to contribute something. I have leaned a LOT from you fine folks and I always do what I can to give back. Hopefully some people will find this helpful.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks for posting the pic's. Great move making the fuel tank accessible.
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2011-03-06

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Empty hitch

Post by Rick's 66 Chevy Van Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:38 pm

is this for a regular size hitch or smaller ?its looks good can you make and sell? i need one that can use a 2inch too carry my cargo cart on back

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:57 am

Hey Guys,
     I got a few more pix over the weekend:

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01115
    Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01116
    Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Dsc01117

I have more but they are just different angles. This site won't let me post more than 3 at a time. (???)
    Anyway, I thought these might help anyone looking to build a hitch.
    Rick,
     This is a 2''  receiver style hitch. My guess is that it would work.
    As far as making and selling, well, there are a few drawbacks and I never really thought about it.
    One is the plates to mount it to need to be welded to the (so called) "frame" by a proficient welder as I used 1/4'' plate and the frame is about 16 to 18 ga, I think. Another is I'm not all that familiar with these vans yet and I'm not sure what I made would fit yours as mine is a '64. I also understand there are a couple different size gas tanks. Shipping would also be a drawback as I tend to "overkill" most things I build (and it's heavy), as I do not have insurance to cover "anything used on the road", as my insurance tells me. To be honest, I really did this to give guys some ideas on how to do one. I could, however, get all the measurements together and send them to you, if that would help??  
    I did not see where you live on your posts but, if you are not too far, maybe I could still help.
    Give me your thoughts.
    Chaz
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2011-03-06

Post by Rick's 66 Chevy Van Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am

Man that would be great i live in NC i have a 65 and a 66 chevy van so i think you have done a great job
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:31 am

I'll get those measurements and post them.
    Stay tuned!!
    Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 am

Here is what I threw together quickly. I'm sure you may have questions or find something I missed. Just let me know what it is and I can explain.
    Chaz

OK, well shit. It says it's too large or corrupted. I shrunk it but no luck.
    If a moderator sees this or some who knows how to do it, I can email it to them to post on here.
    Sorry, I'm just not all that good with computers.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 am

Chaz, I just PM’d you.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:45 am

Got it!
    I emailed it to you.
    Thank you!!!!
    Chaz
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Anybody put a hitch on their G van?  Hitcht10

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Awesome, thanks Paul!!

As I was saying........ feel free to use this idea/design if you want. It fits and works good on my van. If you have any questions, also feel free to contact me. I drew that design up quick and may have forgotten something.
    Enjoy!
    Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:02 am