VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Trailer Hitch?

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Trailer Hitch? Empty Trailer Hitch?

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:37 pm

OK. Would love to hear everybodys thoughts on trailer hitches. Need to put on on the 66 if I'm going to tow my bassboat to the lake and maybe home to Michigan.

Donivan, would love you input on this one. And maybe some of those awsome pic's you always have. Don, that's as close to begging as I get... This ones very important to me.

Any help or advise would be great.
    Thanks,

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Trailer Hitch? Empty Re: Trailer Hitch?

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 pm

I sure do got some pictures of a hitch. I have had a couple that just bolt onto the bumper, but I needed something a little more stronger and wanted to reinforce the frame a little. So I buy a receiver hitch at the swap meet and cut off the ends. I make some end plates that slip over the ends and bolt to the sides of the frame rails. I remove the bumper brackets and slide some 2" square tubing into the frame and I make some "L" brackets for some additional supports. And I just load tested REALLY GOOD on the CrashVan,,,,,,,,

Trailer Hitch? Hitchp10

Trailer Hitch? Hitchd10

Trailer Hitch? Newcam10

Trailer Hitch? Workin27

Trailer Hitch? Workin28
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Even those hitches that I had just bolted onto the rear bumper never gave me any trouble in the never ending , 1000's of miles that I towed my daughters Honda while she was making up her mind on where she wanted to live days,,,,,,,

Trailer Hitch? Tow_sa10

Trailer Hitch? Tow_mt10
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:12 am

WOW, Now that's a serious hitch. And exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I don’t have a metal and welding shop here at the house but you nailed it. And the pic's as always are perfect, thank you. I does give me some idea's on how to proceed. My concern is towing a 19' bass boat from Atlanta, Ga. back home to Marquette, Mi. (Upper Peninsula). It's a 1200mi. trip and want to make sure I have a hitch that will hold. I was hoping there was something I could buy off the shelf that would fit and work well with minimal modification.

This gives me a good starting point. I guess I will start playing with after the New Year when I have more time. Something I seem to be short of these days. Thanks again Don. I do appreciate all the info.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:42 am

As usual...Great work Don!!
    B.W.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:19 am

donivan65 wrote: I remove the bumper brackets and slide some 2" square tubing into the frame ,,,,

Do the Chevys have a sub-frame back there you can do that with? The Dodges have a sheet metal rail that would have to be heavily reinforced.

FYI to anyone considering using an early as at tow vehicle - remember these are very short wheelbase (small footprint) unibody vehicles with none of the features such as antilock brakes that modern trucks have. IMO - 19' Bass boat should be ok though.

Do the Chevys or Fords have any kind of info reguarding towing capacities?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

itruns,
    I don't think anything regarding towing capacities was ever in print. I've gone through the Owner's, Maintenance and Shop Manuals and found nothing other than brief instructions on towing "Your" vehicle, not "With".

I've been towing the boat with the 1984 CJ-7 for some time now and it does get "Squirrelly" over 45mph. Of course the boat and trailer are 2 ft wider and almost 10 ft longer than the jeep doesn't help. Had a friend in Colorado that towed my boat once with his 68 G10 and it was nice and far more stable than the jeep.

Don,
    Thanks for the info and pic's. They just came off the printer and going into the 3-ring binder for reference.

[img]Trailer Hitch? 07290811[/img]

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 am

You got to be crazy to drive one of these old vans and crazier to tow something with them, (and even more crazy to tow a trailer with your motorcycle like someone in Kentucky does). But I think the major thing is to take things really slow and easy. Like GENTLY or it will be all over for you. So as long as we are all crazy, here is a picture of what passes as a FRAME on a Chevy Van,,,,,it is part of the body and it only 0.080 thick, a little thicker than 1/16". So you don't have much to begin with. So me, being paranoid after all my towing, just slid a 2" square piece of tubing into it and used bolts to attach the hitch brackets to it. And this other picture is another version of a Chevy Van hitch, just some pieces of angle iron bolted onto the bumper and each side bracket.

Trailer Hitch? Workin29

Trailer Hitch? Workin30
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am

Hmmm... Don? Got a question. What is the inside Dia. of the frame and how far can you slide a piece of square stock into it from the rear of the van?

And for "Crazy". I've been towing the G10 around with the "Jeep CJ7".... Very Scary!!! And I always seem to start accelerating when I get nervous.... affraid

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:16 pm

The inside of the frame is like 2 1/8" wide and 3 1/2 high. And there is stuff in there,,,,,,I had to cut a little out of the 2" to let the filler tube go through the frame, and the shock bolts go through the frame about 20" in but a 2" piece might get past it. HOW long???? you might be able to go all the way to the master cylinder with a 2" square piece of tubing,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:44 pm

Alrighty then... That's a lot of 2" tube. Gives my an idea. Thank you. Time to find some 2" square tube.... Idea

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:43 pm

The whole rear bumper and its 4 brackets, are held on with 3 bolts on the inside of each side of the frame. The drivers side is easy, right there by the filler neck but you might have to loosen up the gas tank to get to the passenger side. I would just undo the 3 drivers side frame bolts and then the 3 bumper bolts on the passenger side, leaving the brackets still in the frame, and pull the bumper off,,,,,then all will be revealed to you,,,,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm

I guess I'm the crazy one in Kentucky. Shocked But I rhode my motorcycle to California istead of hauling it on the back of a motorhome. cheers Dan I looked at the hitch on my 67-90" today and it appears that the hitch is bolted all the way through the fram and floor in the rear. I couldn't get to the floor to make sure because of the plywood subfloor and the carpet but it has 3 half inch bolts that bolt he hitch to the frame on each side. I just hauled my 66 home on my tandom axle trailer with it (170 miles). It was all the L6 and powerglide wanted but made it just fine. I've got a set of leveling bars, from one of my old campers, fixed to work on my utility trailer. That keeps all the weight off of the rear of the van. The big drawback is stoping, you just have to use a little sence and slow down when doing something like that. It took me three hours to run down empty but a little over 4 hours comming back loaded. Never ran over 50mph when loaded and really took it easy when approaching signal lights.

wideload
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Hey WideLoad, how about post some pictures of the Cycle/trailer set up,,,,,,and how does the set up handle at 120 MPH cruising down the Highway?????
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Sounds good, thank you. Both of you...
    Mike,
    I agree it is always better to go slow and safe than fast and stupid...... Hmm,... might have to change my ways...... Thanks for checking it out for me. I did learn the slowing waaay in advanced from towing the 23ft boat and trailer with my 14ft Jeep.... Yeah. "You learn real fast!!"

Don,
    I did take a peek under it to see where the filler hose goes through and the mounting brackets after looking at your pic's. Was the tube you used 2" square? Maybe I pull the bumber this weekend and take a look. Weather permitting of course. Been in the 40's and raining all week.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Mike:

The "leveling bars", I take it that's a weight distribution set-up? Did they interfere with the surge brakes on the trailer or were they electric brakes?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:41 pm

The tubing is 2" square,,,,,,I just ran it in about 18" inches up to that hole. Then I reached in there and ran nuts and bolts, 2 down, and 2 out the sides to the hitch bracket and end plate. AND Larry,,,,,,how you FEELING????

Trailer Hitch? Workin31

Trailer Hitch? Workin32

Trailer Hitch? Workin33

Trailer Hitch? Feels10
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey Don,

Slightly chilled. Thanks for askin'.

Saw 4 cars that had run off the road on the way in yesterday, including one Wrangler that took a left turn a little too fast (LMAO). Another car had rear ended a school bus. The school bus won big time.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:40 pm

Don the hitch on the bike is all hidden. It's frame mounted and runs up behing the saddlebags. It's a receiver type and goes through the back fender. When the hitch isn't in there's a reflector that snaps in place to cover the hole. My homemade trailer is a standard 1 7/8" ball type hookup(the busch can that's in my gallery). My factory trailer is a Bushtec. it uses a helm joint setup. Instead of a ball there's a vertical pin that the joint on the tounge of the trailer sits down on. The lock that hold the trailer on the pin is the type that has small steel balls that are pushed into a grove around the top of the pin when the key is turned. The Bushtec trailers are built in Jacksboro Tenn. just north of Knoxville. Their the only ones that use that type of setup that I know off. I'll have to take some pic's tomorrow.
    As far as the 120 mph I haven't been there yet on this bike. It might not run that fast. The goldwings have a rev-limiter on them to prevent bending the valves should you accidently over rev. Without the trailer I've been about 110 mph on it but when I'm pulling the trailer the wife is usually with me and we're nearly always fully loaded. Normal towing you don't even know the trailer is there. Anything over 100 mph and you can feel the front end getting lite because of the air pressure on the faring.

wideload
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Larry the leveling bar do distribute the weight. If you put enough pressure on them(their made of real heavy spring steel,about 3/4" square) they will raise the back of the truck enough that it sits normal even with a load like another van on the trailer. The trailer doesn't have any brakes but if it did the bars would'nt interfer with them. You adjust the pressure on the bars by the length of the chains that hook the bars to the tounge of the trailer.

wideload
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:10 pm

MIke,
    You got any pic's? This leveling bar thing is starting to interest me... The boat trailer has brakes but I really like the sounds of it.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Dan I'll take some pic's this weekend. I've got to go to St.Louis to pick up the parts I bought from Pat (on VCVC). I'll be using the trailer again then. How much tounge weight have you got on the boat trailer? A 19' boat shouldn't need the bars.

wideload
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:37 pm

wideload wrote:Dan I'll take some pic's this weekend. I've got to go to St.Louis to pick up the parts I bought from Pat (on VCVC). I'll be using the trailer again then. How much tounge weight have you got on the boat trailer? A 19' boat shouldn't need the bars.

wideload

Mike,
    The tounge weight is about 240-250 loaded with an empty tank. With the tank full it's 210 ish....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm

That should be about right. If you don't have enough tounge weight that's when the trailer will start wiggling from side to side. Your van should handle that alright.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 pm

OK, Thanks. want it for fishing, not "Fish-Tailing".....

Calling it a night... Talk to ya Later.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Trailer Hitch? Qr_cod10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm