VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Vista Cruiser roof for my van.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Vista Cruiser roof for my van. Empty Vista Cruiser roof for my van.

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 am

Does anyone happen to know of a Vista Cruiser station wagon, around them, (and hopefully close to me) that would be a good donor for using the roof on my van? The earlier '60's models look to work the best. (straighter lines in the metal.)
    Plus, the roof of my van looks like they held square dances on it and I love the idea of Vista windows. I've seen a couple and it is the ultimate. Nothing like killin 2 birds with 1 stone. Smile
    Thanks guys!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Vista Cruiser roof for my van. Empty Re: Vista Cruiser roof for my van.

Post by sandyvan Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Hey, great, THANKS!!!!!! I emailed the guy to see if he would part with the roof. That article is for a door hinge but the roof looks pretty good. It's a bit far away but there might be a way. Smile
    I'll keep ya posted.
    Thanks again!!
    Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Ouch!
    1800.00 plus shipping takes it way outta my ball park. He also said the glass was "OK" and slightly de-laminated. My big idea is probably just that. It would have to be a lot cheaper and a lot closer.
    Thanks for finding it for me tho!! I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, Sandyvan!
    Chaz
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Skulptorchaz wrote:Ouch!
    1800.00 plus shipping takes it way outta my ball park. He also said the glass was "OK" and slightly de-laminated. My big idea is probably just that. It would have to be a lot cheaper and a lot closer.
    Thanks for finding it for me tho!! I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, Sandyvan!
    Chaz

That guy probably just thought he had a wealthy sucker calling, that sounds way too high! Well maybe if you ever decide to go camping next summer in Idaho you could offer to stop by with a sawzall and take it off his hands, I doubt there are too many people stopping by to get a vista cruiser roof.

And yeah, all their eBay offerings were kind of weird, showing a whole car with good parts but advertising one tiny piece...
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Unfortunately, "wagons" are all the Hot Rod craze right now. I figure I'm going to have a hard time finding one. (but it would be so cool!)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Vista Cruiser wagons have become quite collectable, so I hope you will only cut one up that is rusted from the waist down or wrecked....
    The 68-72 roofs are the ones that provide a better finished look...
    On the earlier models, the side glass goes clear to the rear edge of the roof and uses a piece of trim that goes across the rear of the roof and edges both windows and terminates awkwardly and abruptly below the lower corner of the window..... I've never seen one that looked finished properly.... The 68-72 roofs extend a few inches back behind the windows, so those windows have dedicated moldings at the rear....

Basically the way to properly do one of these is to get the entire wagon roof (everything above the side window glass) so that you have as much extra sheetmetal as possible to make the transitions to the van's roof and possibly get a little extra headroom too...
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 am

Exactly.
    Thanks.
    Now to just FIND one! Smile (preferably un-save-able)
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Here you go! I recently learned that the Buick Skylark Sport Wagon also had the same roof glass as the Vistacruiser. Here you can buy the whole car for only $1250. It's in Great Bend, Kansas. Been for sale for at least a month.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Buick-Skylark-Glass-Top-Sport-Wagon-9-Passenger-400-V8-12-Bolt-Posi-Project/372267142299

Vista Cruiser roof for my van. Vistab10

And get this!

I have a small salvage yard with 220 Pontiac's and Buick's that I'm going to be selling off on eBay in the next 12 months, If there is something your looking for please let me know and I will try to list. Most cars are 1950's and 1960's but I also have a few late 30's and 40's. No convertibles or GTO's, but have several wagons and 20 to 30 1966 to 1972 Buick A body cars and 4 Buick GS's.

I posted this last month on this thread:
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t56754-window-van-cheap

where I proposed an alternative way to add roof height and more windows!

Vista Cruiser roof for my van. Sportv10
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 am

Wow, VANagain, your abilities with photoshop are outstanding!!! Very cool! I also went to the other thread you posted. I actually have a '77 GMC "Buffalo" Tour bus that is built into a motorcoach. That is also a, minor, reason to do this. I would have a "Buffalo" (as those buses are referred to as) and a "Baby Buffalo". Smile
    Mine.

Vista Cruiser roof for my van. Dsc00010

That Skylark is of interest but probably too far away for the money. Plus, altho I have never done this swap, it seems to me to be easier with an early model so I have more metal to work with along the bottom of the long side window. I am only going from pictures here but, that would seem to be the case.
    Thanks for posting and them awesome "shopped" pix!!!!
    Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:57 am