VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

1st Gen Wiper / Washer

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Empty 1st Gen Wiper / Washer

Post by sandyvan Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

After reading the great posts by Donivan in this thread ( https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t56467-2nd-gen-electrical-issues ) I'm going to check all my fuses again before I order a new wiper/washer switch.  When I turn on either speed of the wipers nothing happens.  When I push in the washer button, and hold it down, the wipers run on both speeds.  No water comes out because a) there is no water in the bag, and b) the last time I filled it it seemed the pump was non-functional.

Has anyone purchased or tried this part?

https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66-Wiper-Switch-Two-Speed-W_-Washer/productinfo/67%2D648/#

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Wiper_10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Empty Re: 1st Gen Wiper / Washer

Post by donivan65 Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 pm

so which van we talking about,,,,,the 1st or 2nd Gen,,,,,,,,the switch sends a ground signal to the wiper motor and pump,,,,,what does the system do as you unplug the wires from the switch and ground them?
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 am

the switch will ground one wire for one speed
    then ground both for the second speed, the motor
    has power anytime the key is on, gets it from the
    fuse box. From your description of what its doing
    I would get the switch, I have bought wiper switches
    from classic parts and had good luck with them. hope this helps
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 am

donivan65 wrote:so which van we talking about,,,,,the 1st or 2nd Gen,,,,,,,,the switch sends a ground signal  to the wiper motor and pump,,,,,what does the system do as you unplug the wires from the switch and ground them?

It's the first gen. Has the fancy button in the middle of the knob that you push to activate the pump. I was wondering if it might be a Corvair part... I'll crawl up under there and have a look see and try your troubleshooting idea.

The 2nd gen also has no wipers or water but I've had so many other priorities on it I haven't bothered to do more than turn the knob and note they didn't work. It has a washer too - I think you pull out on the knob to activate?
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am

panelmanrd wrote:the switch will ground one wire for one speed
    then ground both for the second speed, the motor
    has power anytime the key is on, gets it from the
    fuse box. From your description of what its doing
    I would get the switch, I have bought wiper switches
    from classic parts and had good luck with them. hope this helps

OK thanks. I'll mess around with the wires first as Don suggested, maybe everything just needs a good cleaning, worked on my 2nd Gen brights foot switch, used the spray cleaner.
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Empty Wiper Switch

Post by gfleduc Thu May 31, 2018 3:50 pm

For what it is worth, there is a GM switch P/N 1993584 on ebay - A few dollars cheaper
    Note: I did check the parts book that is a good P/N for 64-66 G10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Delco-Remy-2-Speed-Windshield-Wiper-Switch-1993584/132633945592?epid=1073648500&hash=item1ee19965f8:g:CsYAAOSwmRFaVT-z
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Thu May 31, 2018 4:27 pm

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:51 am

donivan65 wrote:so which van we talking about,,,,,the 1st or 2nd Gen,,,,,,,,the switch sends a ground signal  to the wiper motor and pump,,,,,what does the system do as you unplug the wires from the switch and ground them?

So I did what you suggested grounding the wires and the wipers run, so it definitely seems to be the switch. I also removed the switch, hit it with tons of electronic cleaner spray and reinstalled. Still only get wipers when pushing the washer button, but none from turning the knob.

I filled the water bag but the wiper motors are loud enough I can't tell if the pump is running, but no water coming out the nozzles, those could be clogged. For now I'll go on with ordering a new switch and worry about the luxury of windshield washing later.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 pm

After searching around I found this part which looks exactly the same as mine.  Should work since it's supposedly for a Corvair and that is what our instrument clusters are from.  This looks like the same part as the one I posted before, but doesn't have the extension on the push button which mine does not have.

I found other sources for the same thing referencing other GM Models, but they were more expensive with higher shipping.  Keeping my fingers crossed it works.

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Wiper_11
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 am

sandyvan wrote:After searching around I found this part which looks exactly the same as mine.  Should work since it's supposedly for a Corvair and that is what our instrument clusters are from.  This looks like the same part as the one I posted before, but doesn't have the extension on the push button which mine does not have.

I found other sources for the same thing referencing other GM Models, but they were more expensive with higher shipping.  Keeping my fingers crossed it works.

1st Gen Wiper / Washer Wiper_11

So the part came and it is a perfect match - I now have wipers and functioning washer pump!  I hate a dirty windshield...  I had to pull the driver's side nozzle and soak it in vinegar to unclog it, but now flows freely.  Kind of amazing the wiper motor and pump still work after all these years.

1st Gen Wiper / Washer 20180610

1st Gen Wiper / Washer 20180612

1st Gen Wiper / Washer 20180611

yrac likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am