VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Correct carb and rebuild help

retropolis
    retropolis

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2018-04-24

Correct carb and rebuild help Empty Correct carb and rebuild help

Post by retropolis Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Hello everyone, just picked up an econoline about a month ago. Its a 65 with a 69 falcon 200. It also has an automatic trans. Here goes...it ran for a couple of weeks and suddenly just stopped turning on. It has spark and turns over but I'm pretty sure its a carb issue. New fuel pump and the fuel filter is fine, but I don't think the carb is getting gas. I've taken the carb apart and noticed it was missing a couple of checkballs and the Power Valve was stuck-im thinking this may be the issue?? I have a Autolite 1100 - is this the correct carb? Thanks so much, looking forward to some advice. Im a newb when it comes to mechanics but dont mind learning along the way. thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Correct carb and rebuild help Empty Re: Correct carb and rebuild help

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:49 pm

ok,,,,,1st test,,,,,spray some carb cleaner down the carb and see if the engine fires up for a few seconds to see if it is a fuel problem,,,,,and did it just die by itself or after YOU did something to it,,,,,you dont see a whole bunch of gas laying down in the carb, do you?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 am

A 69 engine should not have a spark control valve on the carburetor, what you're calling a power valve I think, they look the same. Also, the engine should have a dual advance distributor. Before you rebuild that carb verify whether the engine has a dual advance distributor or not. That will dictate what carb you need. While you are at it, look at the casting code on the intake aft of the carb mount and report what it says, it will be something like C9DE-M ect. On the distributor, if you pull the advance plate the points are mounted to you should see weights and springs. Also the old load o matic distributors had a hard line for the vacuum advance and the later dual advance units used a hose, that should tell you what it is without opening it.
    retropolis
    retropolis

Post by retropolis Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:53 pm

donivan65 wrote:ok,,,,,1st test,,,,,spray some carb cleaner down the carb and see if the engine fires up for a few seconds to see if it is a fuel problem,,,,,and did it just die by itself or after YOU did something to it,,,,,you dont see a whole bunch of gas laying down in the carb, do you?

I don't think I did anything to it. One day, i was going to flush the radiator and wouldnt turn on. It had previously started to sputter and it once turned off completely. On the freeway it would also act as if it were going to die on me and sputter with some hesitation on acceleration. I've taken it apart so I didnt get a chance to look at the gas but I seem to remember alot of gas being in it.

Hope this helps.
    retropolis
    retropolis

Post by retropolis Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Seth G wrote:A 69 engine should not have a spark control valve on the carburetor, what you're calling a power valve I think, they look the same. Also, the engine should have a dual advance distributor. Before you rebuild that carb verify whether the engine has a dual advance distributor or not. That will dictate what carb you need. While you are at it, look at the casting code on the intake aft of the carb mount and report what it says, it will be something like C9DE-M ect. On the distributor, if you pull the advance plate the points are mounted to you should see weights and springs. Also the old load o matic distributors had a hard line for the vacuum advance and the later dual advance units used a hose, that should tell you what it is without opening it.

Thanks for the reply.. My carb has a spark control valve, its on the exterior correct? I'll check the distributor. carb ID is C40FBB
    retropolis
    retropolis

Post by retropolis Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Seth G wrote:A 69 engine should not have a spark control valve on the carburetor, what you're calling a power valve I think, they look the same. Also, the engine should have a dual advance distributor. Before you rebuild that carb verify whether the engine has a dual advance distributor or not. That will dictate what carb you need. While you are at it, look at the casting code on the intake aft of the carb mount and report what it says, it will be something like C9DE-M ect. On the distributor, if you pull the advance plate the points are mounted to you should see weights and springs. Also the old load o matic distributors had a hard line for the vacuum advance and the later dual advance units used a hose, that should tell you what it is without opening it.

It has a non-loadomatic mechanical distributor (PO claims)
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Do what I said, look at it and report back. Same with the head code. Take pictures and post them if need be. They changed the carb mount in 68. It's important to know for sure what you have now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:49 am