VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Carb rebuild recomendation

Marq
    Marq

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2017-04-09

Carb rebuild recomendation Empty Carb rebuild recomendation

Post by Marq August 8th 2017, 17:19

So Ive spent the past 3 months working on safety items and just finished up tonight with new fuel lines, the last battery cable and a new fuel pump.

Truck starts up great, has good cold idle, runs strong, but after 15 minutes the hot idle is non existent and it will die.

I've got several events coming up at the end of the month, I;m not going to attempt to rebuild so looking if there are any companies that can be recommended to help out!   I see a Mikes carb service, and one on ebay, genxpartspeddler!

Appears to be a replacement 1904, no Ford numbers but the number stamped on the fuel inlet doesn't match anything I find by looking at online catalogs.

Carb rebuild recomendation 20170815
    Carb rebuild recomendation 20170814
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Carb rebuild recomendation Empty Re: Carb rebuild recomendation

Post by Vantasia August 9th 2017, 07:47

If you really want to be done with your problems...Daytona Parts Co. makes a brand new version of the 1904 carb with some improved parts, adjustable main jet.  Check them out.  I adapted one to my Chevy G-10 van, best thing I ever did to it. worth the money.  Never had luck with 40-50 year old rebuilds, just too worn to run right. Not sure about an auto choke model, but call them, very friendly and helpful techs.    https://www.daytonaparts.com/universal-replacement-carburetor.html
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 August 9th 2017, 10:25

Why is it dying,,,,,,do you see fuel laying down inside the intake from flooding out or choke closing up,,,,,,,is there a vacuum leak making the mixture too lean,,,,,,,,is the throttle shaft sloppy,,,,
    The Blue Box
    The Blue Box

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2016-12-08

Post by The Blue Box August 12th 2017, 01:24

Vantasia wrote:If you really want to be done with your problems...Daytona Parts Co. makes a brand new version of the 1904 carb with some improved parts, adjustable main jet.  Check them out.  I adapted one to my Chevy G-10 van, best thing I ever did to it. worth the money.  Never had luck with 40-50 year old rebuilds, just too worn to run right. Not sure about an auto choke model, but call them, very friendly and helpful techs.    https://www.daytonaparts.com/universal-replacement-carburetor.html

Ive had experience with the daytona unit you speak of. Ive had a problem with it that I cant seem to solve. First off not the problem, but something to watch out for is that the one I got had a leaky float in it (plastic) after maybe a month you could see gas in it (plastic is kinda translucent) well they shipped another float over no cost. However the problem Ive had with this carb is that I cant seem to get this "lag" in acceleration out of it. Basically slowish sweeps of the accelerator pedal are fine but if you gun it while cruising, the van will buck and sputter for a second and then be fine. The accelerator pump works fine but it seems as though the main jet takes a while to come on? its confusing to watch. Ill look down the bore and gun it and see the accelerator pump stream and then pause... then comes the main jet. Something leads me to believe it has something to do with the adjustable main jet. Im not sure. As of now Im just gonna rebuild a 1904 holley off a 223 and see how that turns out.
    Sorry for the long post... just thought id share my experience with the daytona universal carb. BTW all this is on a 170 six banger
    Marq
    Marq

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2017-04-09

Post by Marq August 13th 2017, 11:27

Ok, I am surprised, maybe, but with an extensive group of car guys there is nobody in the Metro Detroit area that is rebuilding carbs these days.

I found two companies, one in CA one in NC and received quotes from $159 to $355 to rebuild.  I also called Daytona but got some sales gal that wasn't too knowledgeable answering questions.

That got me to do some trouble shooting and I was able to sort out my low idle issue so for now it looks like I will be ok for the local Labor Day car show and cruse.

I still need some work as I noticed an idle change when spraying carb cleaner around the choke.

This will probably be a "over winter" project along with cleaning the gas tank, cleaning the rad, and rebuilding the doors. more questions on those in the near future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 08:31