VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
sasktrini
fmc56
RipVanArkie
EconoUSAparts
donivan65
9 posters

1966 dual res mastercylinder ?

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Empty 1966 dual res mastercylinder ?

Post by Guest Thu May 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi all,
    My Master brake cylinder (dual reservoir) is going south and I can't find anything here or at rockauto/macs.
    I have front diskbrakes.
    Any idea where to look?

Also the "modern forum" upgrade bracket ($299) plus wilwood MC ($120) plus prop valve sounds a little steep to me for not having a booster after a $ 500 brake upgrade.
    Anyone done that?

Thanks Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Empty Re: 1966 dual res mastercylinder ?

Post by donivan65 Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 pm

So whats the problem,,,,,,leaking,,,,,,no pedal,,,,,,,low pedal????
    is it an original? I guess you need to pull the piston out of it and see what the condition of the bore is,,,,,,,then maybe find some parts for it,,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2009 4:40 pm

low pedal, have to pump a couple of times until it comes up.
    I don't think there's a leak it's holding fluid well.
    I was hoping for a quick exchange, don't have my own garage.

Thanks
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm

A 66 should be a single master,not dual. If the lid is round its a single,rectangular,then it's a dual. I guess its possible a very late model 66 could have the dual unless someone converted it already. You can send it off to White Post or Sierra Specialties and have them resleeve it,then install a new kit. Total cost about $150.00 I believe both have websites and do pretty quick turn arounds. Both are highly recommended,never heard anything bad about either of them.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 pm

So is it a new one,,,,,,part of a disk brake kit???? how long have you had it,,,,,,,did it ever work right,,,,,,,,have you bled the system???? are the rear brakes adjusted right????

Post by Guest Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I have no idea, can't reach the previous owner. It's a dual, looks like a disk kit, cause the pads are slightly too big. Brakes where always sticking after stopping harder. bled the sytem three times last 6 months and rebuild the rear brake assembly and adjusted it.

I'm going to give white post a call since it's close by.

Thanks Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 30, 2009 4:43 pm

You have a proportioning valve and maybe a few check valves to deal with,,,,,I would plug off the ports on the master cylinder and see if the brake pedal is still bad,,,,if its now good, the problem is down stream from there,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Don,
    Good pointers Smile
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun May 31, 2009 7:29 am

Yep, I would definately bench test the master before spending that kind of money. Don is King!

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 am

I had that problem also. I could pump them up and get pressure but after a minute or two there was no pressure again. I rebuilt my master cylinder and got the same thing. After a very close inspection. I found that i had a very , very small hole in my front brake hose. Replaced the hose and problem was solved. Make sure you take a real close hose at all your lines and connections I could of saved my self alot of time if I had done that instead of a quick glance at them. Hope this helps.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 31, 2009 11:56 am

,,,,so lets see,,,,,you step on the brakes and then they don't release,,,,that sounds about right,,,,the fluid is not returning and the pedal stays low,,,,bad hose, bad inline valve??? Did the system ever work right??? When did you notice a problem or was it always there? And which wheel brakes do you think are sticking?

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll try to explain, coming off the interstate to a traffic light I usually don't have much pressure so I pump twice to slow down and build pressure and than once more and release to roll up to the light but the front brake still brakes. It was much worse when I bought it. I replaced the rear brake assembly, wheel cylinders and shoes. Bled the system and it got better but still not right.
    The front brake pads are a little too big (the pads hang over the rotors) but still enough meat on them.
    I only had time to look at the lines today while my friend pumped the pedal.
    Couldn't find any leaks or fluids.
    Here is how it looks like.

Oops, I shouldn't tie the oil pressure line to the brake lines Embarassed

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc110

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc210

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc310
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 31, 2009 4:34 pm

So you are telling me the pads hang over the end of the rotors? And like some of the pad is stopping nothing but air???? That aint right,,,,look at that pin coming out of the nut on the end of that proportioning valve, it should not move when you pump the brakes,,,,,jack the van up,,,,have someone try and turn each wheel to see if they all stop when you hit the brakes,,,,,maybe some wheels are not stopping correctly,,,,,,,,pull off a line on the master cylinder,,,,put a plug in there,,,,,see if the pedal gets better,,,,,do the other line,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 pm

Yes they do. what is that pin for?
    What kind of plug would I need?
    Do I have to drain the MC before opening the plug?

Thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 pm

On that proportioning valve is a switch,,,,it monitors the pressure between the front and rear brake lines,,,,,and if the pressure drops in 1 of the lines, it grounds out and that turns on the brake warning light on the dash,,,,,it looks like yours aint even hooked up. And run another test,,,,hook a test light up to the battery,,,,touch it to that switch, it should not light,,,,step on the brakes,,,it still should not light,,,,,that pin is the piston that grounds out the switch if there is a problem. Some brake fluid will come out,,,,try not to let it run dry while you plug it off,,,,they make plugs for it,,,,but those threads are plain old American like 1/2"-20 and 9/16"-18,,,,you can get a bolt, put a nut and like a copper washer on it, screw the bolt into the master cylinder port FINGER TIGHT,,,then run the nut down on it to seal the washer,,,,,or just put a bolt in there,,,,who cares if it leaks a little,,,,you just want to see if the master cylinder can build up pressure

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Tree10
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sun May 31, 2009 8:48 pm

You definitely do not have an Econoline master cylinder. Most likely it is a Granada or Mustang unit. Someone made the mounting bracket, looks like a good job. The important issue with the M/C is that is for a manual front disc/ rear drum brake application. Most Fords had power discs. If yours is for power discs you will have to press very hard on the pedal for the brakes to work. Mavericks and Granadas were avaiable with manual. All of the Ford M/C's that I have seen from the 60's and 70's use the same mounting flange so they are physically interchangeable. If it turns out that the M/C is no good check out the Maverick /Granada one, it should be identical to what you have. The compression fittings on the lines going to the brake light switch aren't a very good idea, you should have double flare fittings. You can buy a tee with the correct fittings for this application from Total Performance in CT.
    The fact that you have to pump them to get good pressure may also be the result of the pushrod being to short and not moving the piston enough on each stroke. In this case your pedal would have a lot less travel and sit lower to the floor than normal. If the brakes are staying engaged it could be a front drum M/C. They have a 10 lb residual valve compared to the 2 lb one for the discs and would keep the caliper from releasing as quickly as it should causing the brakes to stay on.
    Fred
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:15 am

There looks like another flare connection fitting in the line coming out of the proportioning valve to the rear wheels,,,,,,this system is looking pretty shaky,,,,,and Fred, he kind of says the rotors seem too small and don't fully reach the pads,,,,,,are there different sized rotors like 10 1/2" and 11" that he might use if he wants to set things right?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:05 pm

wow, thanks for all the info.
    I had to press hard to get it to brake a little. pedal sits much higher than the gas pedal and goes all the way down.

could i get another mc at an auto parts store?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:35 pm

If it is off a Granada/Maverick/Mustang,,,,,,you are in luck,,,,so you can take it off and measure the bore of the piston,,,,,,thats what determines if it is for power or manual brake systems. And the depth of the hole in the piston for the brake rod is important also,,,,,also is it for drums or disks,,,,,Maybe those brakes never worked right because of the wrong parts,,,,,,I don't see too much right about your system,,,,you need to start over again,,,,,get the right master cylinder,,,,,get the right rotors or calipers,,,,,,,,,,fix those brake lines,,,,,,,lets see some pics of the rotor and caliper and try and figure out why they don't match,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Good Idea, I'll start over fresh.
    I'll test the mc first and upload some pics of the calipers/rotors.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

Cheers Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Take off a rotor and post some pictures of the installation. I would like to see what the brackets, rotor and calipers look like,,,,,and how they fit together. Maybe this was a complete kit,,,,,maybe its just parts thrown together,,,,I am sure some Ford guys would like to see what you got,,,,,,,this would be good information,,,,,,and what about the master cylinder,,,,,,,even if its good,,,,,is it the right one???? we got our work cut out for us on this one,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Had to stay at work and came home later so not much progress.
    I couldn't find any bolts that plug into the mc so I just took the whole thing out. There was a spacer piece of push rod falling out (see pic).
    The guys at autozone couldn't indentify it , we looked at '70 granada, maverick but they didn't have those in stock so I ordered those.
    I couldn't believe how cheap these are, $17 reman and $ 35 for the other.

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc-pus10

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc-fro10

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc-out10

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc-lef10

I plan to take pics of the front calipers tomorrow, I didn't have a socket for the lug nuts.

Cheers Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 pm

I don't know what it is, but you got good clues,,,,,that plastic mechanical brake light switch,,,,,,those ports on the left side and a plug to make the push rod fit,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:30 pm

So what depth piston hole does he need,,,,,what bore size,,,,what length of push rod should he have,,,,,,,where did that plastic brake light switch come from????

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Mc_rod10

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't think I can measure the piston deph hole unless I take it apart.
    Bore size is 14mm
    The pushrod has a total lenth of 96mm
    The little pushrod piece that fell out the bore is 14mm long.
    The plastic switch was attached to the rod but not hooked up electrically.

Didn't get to the rotor pics today, my daily driver broke down.
    Now I have to get the van fixed asap.

Here's a front view of the mc in the bracket.

1966 dual res mastercylinder ? Bracke12

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:51 am