VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions

sdgreene81
    sdgreene81

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2017-04-16

Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions Empty Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions

Post by sdgreene81 Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:45 pm

I am almost ready to start fitting the engine into the van and before I completely get everything final welded, I would like to see what types of exhaust systems others has used. I am thinking about standard long tubes for a f100 or should I go with the standard long tubes for a car setup. I have also thought about shorty headers but I would luke to go with full length. What are your thoughts?
    Wolfster
    Wolfster

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2016-08-27

Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions Empty Re: Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions

Post by Wolfster Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 am

I used long tube headers. Rest of the exhaust system is about 2 weeks out on the to-do list.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions Empty Re: Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions

Post by Old Skool Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am

Been a while posting but saw this thread and thought I needed to add some info as I have been doing conversions for a long time now.
      In building a roller motor I found the cost of updating a set of GT40p heads to what is needed to be just better off purchasing a high end set of aluminum heads. Regular type screw in studs and roller rockers instead of the harder to set push rod length pedestal type studs, also having the DUAL pattern larger exhaust bolt pattern which is stronger and easier. 
      However the next issue being the dual pattern and I thought I would take advantage of being able to make them larger but still having a hard time finding a set of headers to fit???????
      With that I took my new cylinder heads to WEST COAST RACING CYLINDER HEADS to have them ported out to a larger size.  Boy did I learn some information !!!!!!
      I was told that the SBF needs the smaller ports to help unless I was running at Daytona and high RPMS all day long.  He also told me that the shorty headers are okay for a computer controlled motor as the ECM can compensate for the camshaft tuning in detail and so long tube headers can be used. He emphatically told me to NOT enlarge the exhaust ports and for the best running that the long tubed headers would work better as there is not computer to fine tune everything like shortys were designed for????????  
      As always a higher quality header also includes that the welding on the mounting plate be done on the GASKET SIDE and then polished down so that it can IMPRINT into the gasket material to avoid leaks. That as always also to use 3/8" thick flanges instead of the weak 5/16th headers.
    vicSoCalEarly Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions 100_1310
    Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions 100_1311
    Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions 100_1312
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 am

?Sorry,,, forgot some pics,,  CORRECT push rod length controls pivot point on valve tip and helps prevent worn valve guides regardless of rocker arm type. Note the wider mounting hole pattern which is much easier to get at. Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions 100_1010
    VicSoCal
    Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions 000_0611
    Early Econoline V8 swap exhaust sugestions Camsha11
    sdgreene81
    sdgreene81

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2017-04-16

Post by sdgreene81 Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the information Vic it really has give me insight. I am going to go with the long tubes and will definitely try out the welded flange.
    criz302
    criz302

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2019-10-08

Post by criz302 Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:32 pm

I am also doing a 302 swap. I got a 5.0 roller motor and AOD transmission out of a 90 foxbody mustang. I initially bought shorty headers and an off road h pipe for a 90 foxbody mustang. I’m not liking the way the h pipe is fitting. I think I’m gonna try a different set up. I’d like to find something that is as bolt on friendly as possible. I’ve read people are using truck long tubes. What year truck are people using? I am also considering using bassani equal length headers and off-road x pipe for a 94 ford lightning f150. I had one and loved the sound. It runs both banks down the passenger side. I know it will take some work to fit it. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:33 am