VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Front spring bushing replacement

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Front spring bushing replacement Empty Front spring bushing replacement

Post by jdlaugh Fri May 12, 2017 10:01 am

I just finished installing new bushings on the front of my '65 E-pup. Getting the old steel-sleeve bushings out was by far the worst part of the job. I did the project with the springs still mounted on the front axle. Had to take off the wheels, and disconnect the shocks and the flexible brake lines to get the springs fully extended. It took me about 4 hours. If I ever do it again, I'm sure it will go faster. I used a kit off e-bay from McVeigh's Truck Springs. Kit looked good and came quick. Here's a pic of the bushing set:

Front spring bushing replacement Bushin10

Some of the old bushings weren't too bad, but some were in pretty sad shape and disintegrated when I pulled them out

Front spring bushing replacement Old_bu10

I don't own a bushing puller tool, so created my own. A piece of 1/2 inch threaded rod, some nuts, washers and a piece of scrap pipe large enough to accept the pushed-out bushing. Used my air impact wrench to drive it out -- very slowly. Cost of parts was about $6.

Front spring bushing replacement Bushin11
    Irons
    Irons

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2017-04-26

Front spring bushing replacement Empty Re: Front spring bushing replacement

Post by Irons Sat May 13, 2017 7:39 am

What improvements have you noticed?

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am