VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Tice84
Lazarusvan
sweetvan
RodStRace
jrdunn96
Vanish
vanny
OutofSight
uante
whalemstr
14 posters

Got tired of the old interior

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Empty Re: Got tired of the old interior

Post by whalemstr Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks...
    My frickin back is killing me to the point that I am only able to do about 2 hours of actual work on it right now. I am trying to get it to the point that I can take a trip to southern CA next Wednesday or Thursday... About 600 miles one way... am hoping it all holds together...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:05 am

Got a frame that I slide together done for the bed support.
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Fold%20out%20couch%20supports%201_zpsjibrm7rk
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Fold%20out%20couch%20supports%202_zpssmdcta1m
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Fold%20out%20couch%20supports%203_zpsuecqt70b
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Fold%20out%20couch%20supports%20stored%20away%201_zpsnbdzsljg

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Doghouse%20cover%201_zpslqv7pcwj
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Doghouse%20cover%202_zpsqjzt1ook

The doghouse cover is just a press fit sitting there. I can take it out and use it as a small table elsewhere when I am out camping!

Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Getting%20closer%202_zps872nohbo
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Getting%20closer%203_zpsl5iejukx
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 3 Getting%20closer%201_zpstc2vnhfx

What a huge difference in ride and noise level! With the additional weight, it doesn't act like a bobber going down the road! It is also a ton quieter now too!

Once I take off, I am going to stop at the local truck stop and fuel up and when it is full of crap and me (same thing), I will weigh it to see what I am herding down the road now...

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Glad to hear that all your hard work is paying off for you! Hope you have a Great time on your trip! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Me too!
    There is a lot of stuff that I would like to do to this thing. New bushings for one. I am just tired of being stuck here. It has been at least 15 years since I went past Sacramento! i spent 23 years going north and south through CA and it has been that long since the last time I was out on the road... I am hoping the van stays together the whole time and I have no problems - because if I do - I'm screwed! LOL
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 am

I made it to southern ca and am at my sisters place. I have slept in the van two nights and it is very comfortable! LOL - Sis wants me to use her guest room but I told her I remodeled the van so I could sleep in it! hahaha
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Good to hear you made it , & your enjoyin your remolded van
    michael swann
    michael swann

Number of posts : 68
    Registration date : 2014-11-13

Post by michael swann Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Great job!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:40 am

great job !! cheers cheers

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 am

It's come along way, nice job!
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 am

Good Job! Enjoying traveling and sleeping in it is awesome!
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks guys...

It was NOT an uneventfull trip!
    Made it down there, went to the van show a couple of days later. Had a great time, a couple of days later I was going to head back up here and blew the head gasket! Had to go through changing that pretty much by myself in my sisters garage in a snooty association neighborhood! Ended up visiting sis for a total of 5 weeks instead of just one week!!! lol

I am actually getting ready to gut it again! lol
    I found a new process using foam board and paint to rebuild custom cabinets with!

Even thinking about taking the passenger seat out and turning that spot into a permanent spot for a cooler! I'd leave the seatbelts in so I could throw cushions down on the cooler and still carry a passenger! May not be the most comfortable place to sit, but should work in a pinch!

It is a really simple process using foam insul board, gorrila glue, gripper paint, and fiberglass window screen! You can cut and shape it with knives and razor blades and make any shape you want. When done, you end up with solid panels that are light weight and strong!

One of these days I wanna take a run up to Oroville and see your rig Outta Sight...

You're a little over an hour from my place...

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Just started my interior today. Did some figuring and went and got some supplies. Looking forward to seeing your new method!
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:28 pm

https://youtu.be/ucf2FVIdr1Q

Watch this and the other around it...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:34 pm

FREEKIN COOL!!!

I have already planned out a ton more improvements to my layout and design and build because of running cross this video!

I can picture being able to do a whole interior - cabinet wise - maybe not totally surface finished, - but more than likely roughed in within two days!

Using very vew actual tools too!!!

lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 pm