VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Tice84
Lazarusvan
sweetvan
RodStRace
jrdunn96
Vanish
vanny
OutofSight
uante
whalemstr
14 posters

Got tired of the old interior

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Empty Re: Got tired of the old interior

Post by whalemstr Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:03 pm

For any of you that are wondering... the flooring that you see - which is enough to cover the whole back of my 108 - is only 2 boxes of flooring that I got at Home Depot... it also took less than 1/2 an hour to put in! Easy as heck!!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm

whalemstr wrote:Anybody have any idea of a way to finish this wood? Stain, sealer, paint, tuck and roll leather, shag carpeting, mirrors, any votes or ideas??? LOL

Hang some lighting before finishing the panels. LEDs take a lot less power and are easier to route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAnOsfUQ9pY

Then sit inside a while and let the music and lights twist your head into the best covering for your panels.

There are a bunch of different places online where people are "van dwelling" and they have a lot of good ideas for a camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5CEWqoUTwk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O11JwR_O14o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8SCNTlAtY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJnWuHdLP8

of course, if you are going more for a vintage van VAN-IN interior, just check out stuff like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKq25-jl5w0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhxxXROxbU
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:37 am

I've been watching all kinds of videos of vans and motorhomes and remodeled buses. I owned two buses that I remodeled into offices and one into a camper. I am still trying to figure out what kind of interior finish to put on this one...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Layout%20lines%201_zpsluyne5yl
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Layout%20lines%202_zpszbvxgldz
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Layout%20lines%203_zpshyofi8gf

think that will work??? lol
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Looking great.

Here are a few inspiration photos I have in my van file.  The photo with the box around the wheel wells with a speaker is something I plan to use. It's a good way to hide and protect the wheel wells. The island theme isn't my bag...Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 E57ab210

Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 11952710
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 _57_210
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

I plan on boxing the wheel wells for sure, and insulating the heck out of em before they are closed in too.
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Layout%20lines%20with%20descriptions%201_zpsn0xfftwi

I plan on making a three part slide out bed that will be 3' wide and 6' long when extended. Then you just slide it back and put the cushions into a couch in the back. There will be a cabinet of some sort in the rear that opens to the rear with shelves and drawers or open storage areas under the bed area. I plan on cabinets behind the front seats. A cabinet along the floor across from the doors. A couple of cabinets or shelves along the walls etc.!

I tried to draw a quick 3D image of what I envision it will kind of look like...
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:36 am

As far as wiring goes, I plan on using a couple of 12 volt led strips in various places to take care of that so hiding a wire is no problem. Plus, a couple of these "stick up" style led's in other places. I do plan on having a second battery in there though. I wanna be able to run an inverter so I can charge the laptop.
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 am

Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Rear%20panels%202_zps7n6xxers

It's amazing what you find laying around the house - especially when there is no wife or girlfriend telling you that "You can't use that!!!"
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Rear%20cabinet%20from%20outside%201_zps6gkbyno5
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Rear%20cabinet%20from%20outside%202_zpsjkhpsjaz
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Rear%20cabinet%20from%20inside%201_zpshhkjw1pl

The above is my version of "Thinking out loud!" Lol

I think I have decided that I am going to eliminate the metal battery box and make that corner a wooden box that is large enough for two batteries. Then I can put the electronic stuff in a cabinet above the batteries. Battery isolator, charge controller, power inverter, fuses etc.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 pm

I like how you think! Much easier to picture something with the real thing...I have a question for you...Is that your reflection in the passenger rear door window? Looks kind of spooky since it doesn't show up in the other pics, just the first one...thought maybe a ghost was saying "Put my dresser back where you got it... lol!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:08 pm

hahahahaha - yep that are scraggly old me!!!
    not only is it easier to swipe furniture and use the kitchen table for a work bench...

but I don't have to worry about shaving or haircuts!!!

lol
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 pm

I've since cut the bottom off the dresser and it is now screwed in place.
    Gonna try it out with a run to town to get plywood and a few other things - probably tomorrow... I'm figuring on taking the bottom two drawers and making them into hinged cabinet fronts and a flat open underneath for longer and heavier stuff. If I do it right, I should have at least 4 lineal feet in there and under the fold out couch/bed on the other side of the dresser. Probably set it up so I can access it from the top under the couch too.
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Front passenger side panel on now...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Passenger%20panel%202_zpswjkfymak

This is the view from where the "couch/bed" will be sitting...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 View%20from%20couch%20bed%201_zps1d9drqdp

Pretty much ran out of giddeeupandgo along with some materials I really need to continue...
    Tice84
    Tice84

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2015-10-10

Post by Tice84 Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Nice build. Lots of work making all these sheets to fit! Love to see how it turns out
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Sometimes you need to take a little break to recharge your batteries...you've accomplished a great deal in a short timespan. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Now to start the modifying...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Cabinets%201_zpsi0atdjac
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Cabinets%202_zps7b4jyjfz
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Cabinets%203_zpswquhgrpp
    and other cabinets and shelving and boxes that need to be made...
    not too mention the bed!!!
    lol
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I forgot that I was forced to take a BEER break - due to the fact that I was gonna work on modifying the cabinets I just got - and forgot that all the tools are in the cabinet that I just painted!!!
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Rear%20cabinet%20painted%201_zpst9c8ud89
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Nice Move, Ex-lax!
    Sorry, something my father used to always tell me when I did things like that...

He used to also tell me if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer...

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:31 pm

LOL - the beer was cold - the sun was hot - the paint was wet - it was a perfect storm!!!
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Next...
    Cabinets are anchored as is the floor...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Driver%20side%20supports%201_zpspi4lwqnl
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Driver%20side%20panel%201_zpsvuca1yhs
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Cabinets%204_zpsx5opwbhi
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Cabinets%205_zpsgzlvyibz

Ceiling and figuring out a couch/bed that folds up or slides together...
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Looking really nice, I like all the cabinets and wood.
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm

So far today...
    Ceiling is in - could not get all the screws in because I ran out of energy...
    There is a double layer of insulboard throughout the van now...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 2nd%20layer%20of%20insulboard%201_zps3gfum4jg
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Ceiling%20in%202_zpsj4q2ewub
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Ceiling%20in%201_zpsrgw07awh

The panel behind the doghouse slides into place so I can get to the doghouse from the rear.
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Panel%20behind%20doghouse%201_zps7piizgwd

I have put a temporary bed in place so I can look at how I want to make it work. It will fold or slide back under itself so it ends up being a couch in the back, and a 6' 8" bed when folded out...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Bed%20start%201_zpsqes2w3b7
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Bed%20start%202_zpsni9zcwk8

One of my solar ovens - and that is the spot it will sit at...
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Flame%203%20in%20its%20work%20place%201_zpsst3r2n0j

I might end up using 1 by 4's for the bed area that folds out... still haven't decided...
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 pm

That place is starting to look like home-away-from-home!!! How long does it take to cook food with a solar oven...when the sun's out, that is? Looks like a pretty slick setup... Very Happy

whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks...

go to you tube and look for my channel - I haven't posted many cooking videos in while - but I have somewhere near 40 of them showing how easy this one is and how fast it is...

Gourmet Solar Ovens
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Post by whalemstr Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:38 am

Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Couch%20framework%201_zpspgb1ezbq
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Couch%20framework%202_zpsjnmmpy4f
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Storage%20underneath%201_zpsl2wkpfo1
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Passenger%20side%20counter%201_zpsxoys32yh
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Passenger%20side%20counter%202_zpslnouwypd
    Got tired of the old interior - Page 2 Passenger%20side%20counter%203_zpsxjfqvtci
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:09 pm

The vision is coming to life! Looks like you'll have plenty of storage space as well...Nice piece of work!!! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:54 pm