VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Vanadian
7 posters

PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired

Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Empty PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired

Post by Vanadian Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am

I have an add on Kijiji http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1968-Chevy-G20-108-Van-Price-reduced-for-quick-sale-W0QQAdIdZ232733849
    I haven't sold the Van but I was contacted by a Producer. She asked me if I would be interested in letting her rent the Van for a photo shoot. She would pay me $200 for an all day event. I agreed, but not for the $200, it will cost me near that just to get it there. I did it because these Vans need to be showcased as often as possible. It all starts at a seedy Motel...PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Calgar15
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Calgar16
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Calgar17
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Calgar18
    It an Indie Rock band Shoot. Then off to a second location a view miles outside of Calgary...
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Calgar19
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi10
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Img-2014
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Img-2015
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Img-2016
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Img-2017
    So all finished, everyone loves the Van!I love you Very Happy
    Heading home...coming down a very large hill...and BOOM affraid I blow my front drivers side steer tire! No Sad I wrestler to the the guard rail...
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi11
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi12PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi13
    Ok well, it is what it is, i have a spare...but no jack Rolling Eyes whoops! But wait...It's getting dark and the 68 is in a very dangerous spot. Better try the hazard lights. Nope... the button won't stay on. No problem I got that.
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi14
    I will call my friend who lives about 20mins away and he can bring me a Jack.
    He does come, We are saved cheers Sorry no pictures here, I was busy! Like in the its at a Indy race, I change the tire, High 5 my friend for the help and I'm off! Very Happy
    But wait! This spare is most likey from 1968 and about 15 kms onward Arrow it fissles to a flat Evil or Very Mad scratch I wrestler over to a much better lie.
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Foothi15
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Rocky_11
    Well I'm out of tires for tonight anyway! I call wife to pick me up Sleep
    So I'm off to fix it for 2nd time, hope it's not towed! What a Face
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Empty Re: PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 am

[i]I Recently read & viewed an story on older dated tires being sold all over the place by many tire sellers - I personally have had 3 tires That looked excellent go flat due to age-sidewalls crack & go 1st. There is a wide movement to make tire sellers never sell a tire over 8 years old . Age is the bad thing here - so look @ all the tires we have on vehicles & also for sidewall cracking too- seems rubber had a shelf Life -even if not ever being used!! Happy Vannin

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 am

Here a tire that is 5 years old cannot even be mounted legally. I tried to get one mounted at Big O tires and they couldn't do it. They had the tire on the rim and then noticed that it was over 5 yo and took it back off.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Vanadian, maybe retired is the proper term!!! When/where are the pics going to be published?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Vanadian, I drove my 64 Econoline from Saskatoon to Calgary a few years ago, and only made it to Strathmore... funny things happen "around" Calgary! I hope it all works out... great story!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:39 pm

EconoCarl wrote:Vanadian, maybe retired is the proper term!!! When/where are the pics going to be published?

Not sure, I signed a release but I'll ask her and get back to you. The paperwork I saw said Stock photos...so maybe we'll see them on random websites, or sales propaganda
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Two flats in a day, major bummer

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Sounds like my kind of luck
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm

YES..On that note...Check the DOT number on the side of your tires to find the build date of that tire. The last set of numbers will tell you when the tire was manufactured. I noticed another thread on here about a great deal that you can get from the "tire rack". Well when I mentioned this NBC news footage I had just seen to my tire guy that just put 4 new tires on my Winstar(and yes I checked the date 2311- which means 23 week of 2011), he told me that the "Tire Rack" is well known to sell older tires. As for how old I am not sure, but that could explain some of the great deals they may offer. Just food for thought, not saying they are a bad seller of tires...just make sure you ask for the manufacture date when you purchase from them or anywhere for that matter. Other places mentioned were
    Walmart and Sears. I am telling all friends and family...everyone please do the same. The NBC footage starts out with 2 young men on there way to Canada. The Dad just put 4 new tires on there SUV...they didn't make it. Front tire tread peeled off a 9 OR 12 year old tire that was bought new. They were both killed in the accident. Sorry Vanadian, didn't meen to hjk your thread, I just had to get this out of my system. Great pics of your van there...and ya bad luck on those tires....2 in one day. ouch.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

I bought my Wrangler MTRs for my Jeep off tire rack. They were the cheapest for them. They could not have been old tires because they were on nationwide back-order. I received them after the manufacturer started making them again. Took 2 months but I got them for $50 a tire less than anybody local could sell them to me for. I have bought other tires off of tire rack and have never had a problem, nor seen one that was terribly old.
    They say the expected life span of a tire is 8 years. Thats even the rule of thumb in Germany, which is pretty stringent on how things are supposed to be handled.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 am

Big W wrote:YES..On that note...Check the DOT number on the side of your tires to find the build date of that tire. The last set of numbers will tell you when the tire was manufactured. I noticed another thread on here about a great deal that you can get from the "tire rack". Well when I mentioned this NBC news footage I had just seen to my tire guy that just put 4 new tires on my Winstar(and yes I checked the date 2311- which means 23 week of 2011), he told me that the "Tire Rack" is well known to sell older tires. As for how old I am not sure, but that could explain some of the great deals they may offer. Just food for thought, not saying they are a bad seller of tires...just make sure you ask for the manufacture date when you purchase from them or anywhere for that matter. Other places mentioned were
    Walmart and Sears. I am telling all friends and family...everyone please do the same. The NBC footage starts out with 2 young men on there way to Canada. The Dad just put 4 new tires on there SUV...they didn't make it. Front tire tread peeled off a 9 OR 12 year old tire that was bought new. They were both killed in the accident. Sorry Vanadian, didn't meen to hjk your thread, I just had to get this out of my system. Great pics of your van there...and ya bad luck on those tires....2 in one day. ouch.

No need to apologize, It was dangerous what happened to me, lucky for me I was alone and pulled over safely. If this thread can help save anyones life then hjk on! These tires were old and I should have checked to tire pressure before I drove it anywhere. But all this information is great news as I always shop for the lowest tire price. Thanks for all the tire talk, we all have family and this is a great community.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am

I just recently priced tires and Tire Rack had a great deal on BFG's. 88 instead of ~150 each. I did a search and it turns out they were made in 2007!!!
    I bought something else. I put less than 10K on all my vehicles (6 currently reg and insured) combined a year, so I need all the time I can get out of tires.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Thankfully it was not towed
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Rocky_12
    PhotoShoot 68 then got Tired Rocky_13
    This one should make it!
    G-Man
    G-Man