VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Well the van interior is nearly completed... I have the door panels done just awaiting new lock pawls in order to actually lock her up. Mine are bent and not long enough.  I installed the pad and did a preliminary cut to the carpeting. I bought a bigger piece than needed. So I had to bring it down to a manageable size. I seem to be working alone! LOL I am not a carpet layer and I know why, This heavy work! Got the pad and tack strip down. GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Lock210
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Lock10
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Looking very comfy back there...bet it's a whole lot quieter too!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Looking good Jacke! I remember having the same problem with my lock pawls. I found some 1/4" ID stiff plastic tubing that I had to squeeze to get to go over the end of the pawl, that extended them and made the locks a lot easier to lock and unlock.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks, I ordered some new ones. I will see if they work. The mechanism is very stiff.
    I will lube it...maybe that will help. I am getting ever so closer. But details are important.
    I must be patient! bounce
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 pm

I used metal carpet edge strip for along the wheel wheels and doors openings, comes about 3/4 x 3/4 in several colors, black, silver, gold. screw it down to the plywood underfloor you have, really helops keep all the carpet in place and stops the edge from fraying.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks! Yes I bought a wide ribbed one with about a 4 inch width so people's dirty feet don't mess up my carpet! I just need to install the carpet now. It's kinda hard doing it by yourself... the roll is 3 times longer than I am tall. I lugged it in once to make the cut around the doghouse. I got some help installing my emblems. I did not get to it right after painting. Rich was nice enough to come over and got them on straight. If I did them alone it would be off! Laughing Thanks to his keen eyes we got them on.

GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 350_em10

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Like that Custom emblem, Nice Touch! Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm

vanny wrote:Like that Custom emblem, Nice Touch! Very Happy

Thanks! I have had the Handi-Van Custom emblem. One of the special things I think makes it... GMC Jacke's "Goldie" . I hope to have everything together by the New Year. That will be a great beginning to the new year. I will have to pop a bottle of bubbly when I complete this project.
    Its been almost 17 months since I got started.
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:44 am

Great Job on your Van Jacke! I like the way you've set it up and look forward to seeing what's next! I especially like your color and wheel choices! It's like a distant cousin to my Torino! Well except for the white vs brown top. I toyed with the idea of flat paint, but not sure it would fit my car as well as it works on you van. Smile

GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Goldie10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Gtb_at10
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks, I had to try the flat paint! It was a good gamble. I think the satin white top compliments the flat pretty well.

That is a nice looking Torino! Those were very popular.
    Here is a little know fact about the name Torino... My father was in the car business and told me the car was named for a wife of the Ford company designer- nickname "Rinny" so as close as it could be To Rino Torino. Bet you had not heard that one!

Merry Chrstmas
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:12 pm

JackeFriend wrote:
    Here is a little know fact about the name Torino... My father was in the car business and told me the car was named for a wife of the Ford company designer- nickname "Rinny" so as close as it could be To Rino Torino. Bet you had not heard that one!

Nope thats a new one to me...Interesting!

Merry Christmas to you too!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:18 pm

So the new door pawls came... not right. I will need to fabricate a little help. The lock mechanism is so stiff I am not sure it could be turned with a key? I guess it could be greased up to help loosen it?
    What will make the piece ease up? Never thought it would be so difficult to get the door locks working. I am at a stand still until I figure it out, I have the door panels ready to go onto the doors but I don't want to take them off again!
    I started installing the carpet... never found a volunteer to assist. My back and gut, are way over used. Lifting and tugging that rug was not easy, satisfying or fun! I now have it cut and inside the van. I jut have to finish the trim around the edges and doors. Almost ready to get it back on the road.
    Back soon with pictures of my busy work!! I still love my van Wink
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Here is where I stopped due to being so tired... Razz

GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Rug1010

samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:16 am

Well it looks like you made yourself a good place to pass out! Try soaking the lock cylinders in PB Blaster overnight and see if that frees them up. If so, dry them out and use graphite spray to keep them happy. If not, I have a couple I can send you. You would have to get them re-keyed.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 am

samsvan wrote:Well it looks like you made yourself a good place to pass out! Try soaking the lock cylinders in PB Blaster overnight and see if that frees them up. If so, dry them out and use graphite spray to keep them happy. If not, I have a couple I can send you. You would have to get them re-keyed.

No its not the actual lock cylinder. It is the part that moves the bar up and down insidethe door to lock the door. The key and cylinder seem fine. But when I reach in and move the mechanism inside it is very stiff. I don't see how a key in the lock will turn it, plus the pawls seem wrong Maybe grease up the inside part? Otherwise it is too stiff. Thanks for the offer, now if you have 2 pawls that work I will take 'em..Razz I ordered some but they are wrong.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:14 pm

I see on page15 of your thread, you had the door latches out already. Were they easier to move then? Maybe you can spray some lube in them without taking them out of the door. Otherwise, taking them out and really cleaning and lubing them up should get them moving nicely. I did all this and still needed to put the hard plastic tubing on the end of the pawls to make things operate more smoothly.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:39 pm

So I was reading your thread... what type of plastic sleeve did you use to extend the arm.
    Maybe if I lube it up that will ease the tight movement. Then a hard longer platic may be just right.
    But it would need to be strong... to move the metal and not break.
    Happy New Year
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I used the casing from a transmission shifter cable that I got from the junkyard but didn't end up using. I got the idea from someone here at V-V of course. Maybe Vantasia? I think whoever it was said they used Copper tubing and just pinched it over the end of the pawl. Maybe you could use stainless brake or fuel line and epoxy it on?
    The cylinders are pretty easy to put in and take out and when you put one in, you can see in there and get an idea of what you need to do. I bent my pawls a little to help gain leverage and added the plastic tubing instead of metal because I thought it would have less friction. I didn't really need much extra length from the tubing to get mine working. Now I can lock and unlock mine without praying I don't break the key off in the lock!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm

samsvan wrote:I used the casing from a transmission shifter cable that I got from the junkyard but didn't end up using. I got the idea from someone here at V-V of course. Maybe Vantasia? I think whoever it was said they used Copper tubing and just pinched it over the end of the pawl. Maybe you could use stainless brake or fuel line and epoxy it on?
    The cylinders are pretty easy to put in and take out and when you put one in, you can see in there and get an idea of what you need to do. I bent my pawls a little to help gain leverage and added the plastic tubing instead of metal because I thought it would have less friction. I didn't really need much extra length from the tubing to get mine working. Now I can lock and unlock mine without praying I don't break the key off in the lock!
    I got some white silicone grease spray and got the lock mechanisms working smoothly. The pawl will need the added tube as you mentioned. But I did not have to remove the guts. I used the nozzle and sprayed it all, then sprayed down from the top so the whole rod gets lubed. So to be a locking van! cheers
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Got the tube onto the pawl and it worked with the added lubrication in the upper inside area.
    Now both side doors and rear lock up! One less thing on my to do list.
    It started with about 45 "to do's" on my list... now about 7 left ugh!! Twisted Evil
    Does it really ever end?
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Persistance pays off! Glad you got them working.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Well I am finished with the carpet and I have the end in sight with my interior project. I am still having a problem with one door not locking. I thought it was all good once I added the tube to the pawl and lubed the hell out of everything with white silicone grease, But although the pawl now moves the mechanism up and down... it still does not lock the handle? I assume the little piece that moves over to stop the handle from opening is either broke or warn too far. So one door that doesn't lock! If anyone knows the answer please let me know.
    I am gonna be posting the final pictures very soon. bounce
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Is it the side or the back door that's the problem? If it's the side door, maybe something's wrong with the push button.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 pm

samsvan wrote:Is it the side or the back door that's the problem? If it's the side door, maybe something's wrong with the push button.
    It's the rear door. I guess I have to take it out to see what can be done? I am about over it!
    I am tired of the unknown... Mad
    There is no problem with the pawl now at least!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:03 am

Well I have almost all of the interior completed. I will be finishing that little baby this weekend.
    I am making a curtain, it  should be done by Saturday. I will have a couple of exterior tweeks then I can show you guy's my vision in vanning! Here is one of the last items I havr added... the cherry on the sundae. Thanks to Richie, who printed these cool authentic stickers Cant get it upright on the site?
    .GMC Jacke's van - Page 18 Lever_10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:05 pm