VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Oscarm
Carl
scarlin
Bob S.
8 posters

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box?

Bob S.
    Bob S.

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2016-04-11

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? Empty My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box?

Post by Bob S. Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:44 pm

My 1961 econoline has this funny steering problem. While the steering feels fairly tight when driving it down any straightaway it wonders. I have to keep on it, it wonders from left to right and i must keep it going straight. Any advise will be greatly appriciated. How do you adjust the steering box?
    Anyone attending the car show in Half Moon Bay, Ca. this month? Sunday 4/24 Its called Pacific Dream Machines.
    See you there?
    thank you
    Bob S.
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? Empty Re: My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box?

Post by scarlin Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:20 pm

This is somewhat normal but if the wheel moves more than 90 deg. you have a worn steering box  They can be adjusted, it must be done right or you will ruin the box.
    Bob S.
    Bob S.

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? Empty Re: My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box?

Post by Bob S. Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:48 am

scarlin: Thank you for reply to my steering problem. Its not even close to a 90 degree problem. But it is a bit unnerving traveling at 65 miles per when a little wind hits you and the thing just seems like it wants to take off, to the right or the left. It doesnt happen the same way every time.
    again thanks,
    Bob S.
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Post by Carl Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:42 am

check out: www.1965econolinepickup.blogspot.com  -scroll down to "Blog Archives" pick "2007"  -scroll down to "Steering Box revisited" then further to "Rehabilitation of the Steering Box. -have how to adjust.
    Bob S.
    Bob S.

Post by Bob S. Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 am

Thank you Carl.
    Easy to read and well detailed.
    I'll be tearing into it, in the a.m..
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Post by Oscarm Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:29 am

Front caster angle should be about 5 1/2 degrees. Sometimes people leave the shims out when servicing the front axle. Makes a big difference, but you'll still get some 'wind-wander'.
    Any aligment shop should be able to handle installing shims...just check to make sure they have shims available..
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Most likely it isnt the box, but rather loose king pins or tie rod ends. Jack up the front end and wiggle the front tires side to side and up and down to see if there is any play.
    Udo
    Udo

Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2014-07-07

Post by Udo Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Mine does the same thing hence why I have been doing my kingpins this week.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Sounds like a toe problem.

Drive forward then stop. (Don't back up)
    Measure the distance between the front tires. Measure the distance on the front side of the tires and on the back side.

The front distance should be 1/16" (+/- 1/32") less than the rear measurement.
    This pic shows an exaggeration of the toe-in that you want. Toe-out can cause the wandering tires you described.

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? 23b1ccbb-db7d-3816-a38d-11dec143fc47

Bob S.
    Bob S.

Post by Bob S. Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 am

Thank you Barnabas, it appears to have worked its so much better. Now i'm looking forward to putting some miles on it this summer.
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm

As mentioned, I would first check the king pins.  And alignment.
    Also, inspect the leaf spring bushings.  If they're shot, it could create the wandering issue too.
    Udo
    Udo

Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2014-07-07

Post by Udo Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Got mine done last week and it drives like a new truck now...worth doing for sure.

My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? Img_2010
    My 61 econoline wanders can be scarey to drive, adjusting steering box? Img_2011

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:57 am