VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
gregb
savage
vanny
wideload
VANagain
samsvan
Russell
donivan65
12 posters

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Empty Russell's 65 "Custom" Shevy Sportvan Deluxe

Post by VANagain Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 am

Hey Russ, you are really takin' care of business! I feel like such a slouch--it's taken me months just to get my horn working!

Your van is sitting pretty now. How many leafs do you now have in the front and back? I need to take a couple out of the front of mine. My stance is going the wrong way!

Did you add an overflow jug for your radiator? I found that one from a Supra fit well along the inside of the doghouse wall.

I'm sorry I didn't see about meeting up with you at the Big 3 swap meet. Should have known you'd be there. I went on Saturday.

Now tell me about the tail light trim you added! Looks like the same ones I bought, for the pickups. I like the look of these better than those that came on the Deluxe Sportvans. But I found they wouldn't quite fit on my van without modifying either the trim or the tail light assembly. Did you have to do some modifications?
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Empty Re: Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by Russell Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:10 am

vanny wrote:How strong is that aluminum channel? Does it feel as strong as the original bumper?
    it is 1/8' thick, I think it is as strong as a original steel bumper.
    I had it cut at 6', it looks a little long on the ends but I am trying to figure a way to bend them the same shape as the originals. I bought another one to use on the front and to practice bending. They were $14.00 a piece at the local metal mart. (used or secondary, not new)
    Russell
    Russell

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Empty Re: Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by Russell Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:19 am

VANagain wrote:Hey Russ, you are really takin' care of business! I feel like such a slouch--it's taken me months just to get my horn working!

Your van is sitting pretty now. How many leafs do you now have in the front and back? I need to take a couple out of the front of mine. My stance is going the wrong way!

Did you add an overflow jug for your radiator? I found that one from a Supra fit well along the inside of the doghouse wall.

I'm sorry I didn't see about meeting up with you at the Big 3 swap meet. Should have known you'd be there. I went on Saturday.

Now tell me about the tail light trim you added! Looks like the same ones I bought, for the pickups. I like the look of these better than those that came on the Deluxe Sportvans. But I found they wouldn't quite fit on my van without modifying either the trim or the tail light assembly. Did you have to do some modifications?
    I need to look under the Van to be sure how many I used,(It's pouring rain right now) I will get some pictures for you.

I don't have an overflow tank, I should put one in.

I did have to cut V shapes into the inner corners to squeeze it into the holes, the tail light bucket hides the cuts. I also used a hammer and block of wood to slightly knock the sides down after they were in place to meet the body, they had about a 1/32 gap around the outside edge of the trim ring,I like the way they came out.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Looks like I kept 4 leafs on the front and 5 on the rear, if you look close you can see a space where 1 is missing between and probably the shorter ones to keep it low. It seems to ride real nice like this, not too soft but not stiff either.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0110
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0111
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:23 pm

My Van is showing it's true colors,
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0010
    I've decided to remove the trim on my Van, it has a couple bent pieces and a few rivet holes but mostly I don't like the way they collect dirt and promote rust, I also don't like cleaning them or around them.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0011
    I probably wont be using the script either.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I've been working on the interior, the camo has got to go. I have 1 side done today.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Engine10
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0012
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Int_0112
    More pics later.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:43 am

That has a much cleaner finished look to it. Nice work, Russell! It's coming along very nicely! What did you use for the panels?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:33 am

I think it's Luan. thin wood paneling.(also called "door skin" material at Home Depot) I peeled the camo material and padding off what was there and spray glued a tan vinyl material on them.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Interi10
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Interi11
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Interi14
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Interi12
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Interi13
    The bubbles came out as it dried.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Removing the trim and the script?! That's what makes it a "rare" Deluxe!! Sacrilege! I should have never shown you that photo of Drew's stripped-down Deluxe! Wink

I did notice the rivets in the trim. That was not good. I go around my van with an old paint brush to remove the stuff that collects on the top edge of it. Mine did not have any rust from the trim.

Another place that collects crud and will get some surface rust is the inset "ledge" around the Sportvan windows. I try to keep ahead of that too, either with a leaf blower or the paint brush. (My van won't fit in my garage but I keep a cover on it.)

I'm not surprised to see your van was originally the popular turquoise and white. The trim does really set off a two-tone paint job. What are you planning to do for paint?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:25 am

yeah Rich,,,,,,,purtnear starting to look like a ShevyVan now,,,,,might have to edit his heading,,,,,,,
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:50 pm

That interior treatment you did with the vinyl looks real nice Russell
    Russell
    Russell

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Empty Russell's 65 "Custom" Shevy Sportvan Deluxe

Post by Russell Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm

donivan65 wrote:yeah Rich,,,,,,,purtnear starting to look like a ShevyVan now,,,,,might have to edit his heading,,,,,,,
    Russell's 65 "Custom" Shevy Sportvan Deluxe
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:16 pm

It's been almost a week since my Grandson accidently loaded a virus into our computer playing Mindcraft. Almost back to normal.
    I received my sending unit yesterday and modified it for my Van, tank is in and the gas gauge is working, also started doing some body work while I was waiting for the parts. I kinda wish I didn't open that can of worms.
    I will post some pictures as soon as we get the computer back up and running again.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:57 am

I pulled the fuel sender and tank last week, this is what I found inside.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Img_0112
    After getting a new sender for an early Impala, I noticed it was not close to a fit even if I bent it. I was able to remove the sender and mounting plate from the new sender and soldered it too the mounting plate on the old tube assembly.

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Feb_0112
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Feb_0111
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Feb_0110
    I used the new rubber for the wire and soldered a new ground tab, I added new wires over the tank to splice to the Van. I was able to set empty with about 2 gallons in the tank and the gauge read full when I went to fill it up. I also cleaned and painted the tank while it was out.
    I added the 2 clamps just in case.I also had to re-bend the arm after this picture to get it into the hole.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Someone asked what I would take for the van a few days ago, I told him "it's not done" at least $8000, he showed up today and drove it away.
    Now I have some money to put the V-8 in the panel,(and more)
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Sold_010
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Sold_012
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Sold_013
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Sold_014
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Sold_011
    I already miss it but had good reasons to sell it.
    I've learned a lot while putting this one together, the next one will be better.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Congrats on the sale Russell!!! If the next one is better than that one, I can't wait to see it! I really like the window vans and that was a great looking one!

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Double10

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 pm

vanny wrote:Congrats on the sale Russell!!! If the next one is better than that one, I can't wait to see it! I really like the window vans and that was a great looking one!

Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Double10
    Thanks, I didn't think he'd pay that much. These Vans are getting to be more in demand.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 pm

The new owner came by today, I had a couple things to give him and the carb wasn't working right,(one of the reasons I sold it) I fixed it and gave him the number to a real mechanic.
    He did some spray paint, took the window tint out and upgraded the stereo, He didn't want to sell it back, I asked?
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Franks10
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Franks11
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Franks12
    He says he's looking forward to meeting people at the Vans by the bay event this Sunday at Fiesta Island, San Diego.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Congrats on converting another vanner!!! cheers

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:30 am

Frank came by and I gave him the Rear bumper off of the Panel I have, he took it to a guy in TJ who straightened and chromed it for $150. It came out really nice, I will have him do my '66 bumpers if I ever get that far along with it.
    Frank also changed the wheels, installed a back seat and a new stereo system.
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Pt_02910
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Pt_03210
    Russells 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 3 Pt_03010
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:58 pm

NICE! Very Happy

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 am

Awesome looking van. cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am