VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Steering column material

wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Steering column material Empty Steering column material

Post by wirepuller Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:55 am

Hey guys,

Does a steering column need to be hardened steel, or can it be cold rolled steel?

WP
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Steering column material Empty Re: Steering column material

Post by Big W Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm thinking no...only because of what other hot rod builders have used in the past. I assume you are talking about the shaft inside the column that the steering wheel attaches to. Some use including myself) chrome plated 1045 cold rolled steel round bar for making steering extensions under the hood to reach mustang racks. Also my 1953 ford had a hollow tube in the column which made it difficult for pulling the wheel off. You have to leave the wheel nut on close to the top so you didn't mushroom the top of the pipe threads.
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks BigW! Your assumption was correct and good advice with the nut. I'm doing a side job for a neighbor who has a 60s Fiat, and I've bartered an old wooden Fiat steering wheel for my project. Beautiful shape, but the connection is splined and appears to be about a 1" diameter. I will need to craft a piece of steel down to my steering box.

WP

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:59 pm