VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

curious -help??

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

curious -help?? Empty curious -help??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:18 am

Here we go - as I am not exactly super familiar with Chrysler type charging systems?? Ill ask for some ideas from those that are!! Mid 70's & i believe earlier Chrysler engines (440) have a solid state regulator. I have a system that is discharging always. found the wire on the battery +-positive that is doing this. That wire leads to a "Volt meter" on dash -- then into harness. I have pulled every fuse & disconnected all other electrical items & still has a discharge. That leads me to thing its in laternator or regulator system?? yet had both tested as Good! here I am affraid
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

curious -help?? Empty Re: curious -help??

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 am

The mechanical and electronic voltage regulators use different alternators,,,,,,they look the same,,,,easy to mix them up,,,,,,mecaanical regulators use an internally grounded field circuit, electronic use an insulated type,,,,,,disconnect the field wires off the alternator, see if drain goes away,,,,,,,also disconnect output wire for a test to see if diodes are causing the drain ,,,,,
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:20 pm

I know on some cars that had a volt/amps gage that if it went bad or was not connected it wouldn't complete the circuit= It wouldn't charge.This could be that, But, that being said Im a good parts changer but don't claim to be a mechanic so Im sure someone will have the right answer soon enough for you
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:24 pm

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:34 pm

1970 was the year of change. 69-back = mechanical voltage regulator. This was a big lump with a black cover. There was a coil inside that open or closed a set of points. ALL of these have an AMP gauge, not a voltmeter. The entire charging current flows through the two terminals and the gauge!

1970-up = electronic voltage regulator. This is a much better design to keep current flow under control instead of 'full on' or full off'. Mopar still used the AMP gauge thru the 80s.

MAD electrical has some great articles to explain in greater depth what to check out, what to modify and how...
    http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 pm